The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 22, 2014, 02:27 PM   #1
MRYANJ99

Rossi 972

I'm in need of a new range toy and decided on a .357 magnum revolver with a 6 inch barrel. I've been on the Gander Mountain website and saw the Rossi 972 listed at $399. I'm at work, so the online gun sites are blocked. I also saw the Ruger GP100 listed at $649. Now keep in mind these are Gander Mountian prices (the GM site isn't blocked at work). I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I want something decent. It's just going to be a range toy and sit in the safe between trips to the range.

My question is what kind of realistic prices can I expect from online retailers or gun shows? And is the Ruger really worth the extra money for just visiting the range?

And before the Taurus/Rossi bashing begins, I am on a budget of less than $500. I know the internet says that Taurus guns are junk, but I've owned 2 of their semis without any issues. I also haven't met anybody that has had an issue with Taurus.

I have almost no experience with wheelguns, so any advice is appreciated.
Old January 22, 2014, 09:04 PM   #2
bossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYANJ99
I am on a budget of less than $500.
Look for a used Ruger GP 100 should find one around your price range.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old January 22, 2014, 09:40 PM   #3
ckpj99

I really don't have anything against Rossi or Taurus. I have very little experience with them, but if I had $500 to spend on a gun, I'd buy used. You can get very nice used Ruger GP-100 (maybe even a Security Six or Speed Six). You can get a used Smith, both of mine were under $450.

The thing is that guns are generally durable items, and you can read the revolver checkout at the top of the forum to learn how to make sure you're not buying a lemon or something that was neglected. It's not all that hard unless you're looking at really old Colts or single actions or stuff like that.

I'm not saying a Rossi is a bad gun, I'm just saying you can get more gun for the money buying used and if you do your homework (like 45 minutes of reading), it's a low risk deal. Hell, if I was really on a budget, I'd look for a used Rossi/Taurus, you can probably get those for under $300.

To directly answer your question, the Rossi seems priced right. You might be able to save $20 if you find it at a gun show or local shop, but $399 is pretty much what they go for. I've seen new GP-100 listed new for as low as $600, but $650 is a more typically price.
Old January 22, 2014, 10:14 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
My question is what kind of realistic prices can I expect from online retailers or gun shows?
If you see a price at Gander Mountain, you can find that item for less elsewhere. Guaranteed.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 23, 2014, 12:00 AM   #5
Billy Shears

I have had a Rossi 851 for nearly 30 years now and really enjoy it, but as others have said, for $500 I'd probably be looking for a GP100.
Old January 23, 2014, 09:55 AM   #6
MRYANJ99

Well I did a lot more research when I got home last night. From what I read, the Rossi is "good enough". But when I checked out reviews on the Ruger GP, it seems to be better built and more durable and actually a better value. So I will be hunting for a Ruger. The local gun shop has almost no revolvers, so I may be going out of town to get one. Plus I found out I got a little bonus coming to me at work, which should push out my buget by another $100 or so.

Thank you all for the input. Much appreciated.
Old January 25, 2014, 11:58 AM   #7
DaleA

My 'pet' theory is that most new shooters want a semi-auto and a lot of current gun owners are moving to semi-auto handguns and there are some real bargains in the used market on revolvers.

I've seen several in the last year but you really need to know where to go to check for bargains and it helps if you have someone that can check out a gun for you before you buy it. There is a sticky right at the top of this forum that can give you some information.

Do you know anybody that would take a morning, afternoon or evening and troll the local shops with you? You'd know where to look then even if you don't find anything during that trip. You could spring for a round at the end of the trip as a 'thank you' gesture.