The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old July 16, 2012, 09:12 AM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I guess that the thing to remember is that for a guy whose pasture has been torn up or whose crop has been destroyed, extreme anger is the norm. Maybe even hatred. The ensuing desire is for maximum killing, eradication. He's not interested in any ethics or morals, and doesn't consider it hunting in the sense that we here use the word.

Pest control, as with roaches or rats. As with gophers or armadillos on a golf course.
Old July 16, 2012, 11:58 AM   #27
rickyrick

I laughed at the amount of pasture torn up by the mini gun
Old July 16, 2012, 08:40 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am still in a quandary... In my years amongst the wild/feral hog stocks... I never found a trait that makes these pigs resemble released runners... 'Cept that these are, in fact, runnin'....

Seems many have never seen a sounder of pigs take to flight....

Be it a single... a pair... a few or a snot load... when they run they basically take flight in similar direction just like these did etc...

Brent
Old July 16, 2012, 09:06 PM   #29
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

When in groups and spooked, critters seem to take off generally together. Deer, cows, horses, javelinas, goats...They're not like a covey of quail.
Old July 16, 2012, 09:17 PM   #30
Double Naught Spy

I disagree. It looks like they are releasing captured hogs. All the hogs seem to originate from about the same spot. Yes, I have seen sounders run. I have also seen sounders bolt in the a myriad of directions when been shot at by hunters.

Not only that, but with all the folks standing around, it does not look like these guys are at a choke point in the middle of the field. You can tell by the shadows and voices that there are quite a few people standing around to watch and that the camera is careful to not show where the pigs come from. Not only that, but the pigs materialize just as the shooter gets ready.

It is legal, but I am not sure that it is really eradication in the intended sense of the word if you capture them and then release them again.

I am curious about the structures in the distance. I failed to notice anything of a proper backstop.
Old July 17, 2012, 01:05 AM   #31
Sphawley

I know hogs are a real pain in the ass, but I just cant justify this...
Old July 17, 2012, 06:59 AM   #32
JimPage

Disgusting!

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old July 17, 2012, 08:53 AM   #33
Saltydog235

Who cares, its nasty vermin. Let them and those things will out breed roaches. Heck if I thought shooting one in the ass with a pellet would cause it to get gangrene and die somewhere I'd do it. And for you bleeding hearts, I've shot the dang things to wound them so they'd call back the others with distress squeals, you can get a couple more that way.
Old July 17, 2012, 09:45 AM   #34
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I know plenty of ranchers that swear by a .22lr in the cab of the truck or on the tractor....

One told me he just has to count "kills" a week later with the circling buzzards....

Brent
Old July 17, 2012, 10:41 AM   #35
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ah, timing. I was just on the phone with a coin-dealer buddy, and he veered off into fulminating against hogs on his farm, tearing up the place.

Hogs on your place? It's just like taking out your billfold and tossing money on the ground and walking off and leaving it. Not many folks think that's a good thing to do. Serious resentment against the notion.

You hit somebody in the billfold and he's quite likely to find great enjoyment in revenge. He won't care how a hog gets dead, as long as it's dead.
Old July 17, 2012, 09:54 PM   #36
farmerboy

Looks fun, but on the other hand. Don't like canned hunts and seems a bit like cruelty to animals. If you're gonna kill things seems like the right thing to do is eat it or give it to someone who will. Didn't show what these fellas were doing afterwards but they spent alot of money and probably didn't mess with them afterwards. Atleast give them to a drop off place and feed the homeless, poor or prisoners. IMO.
Old July 17, 2012, 10:09 PM   #37
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

farmerboy, there are all manner of regulations with which to comply before doing a charitable thing with dead hogs. For many hog shooters, it's just more hassle than is worthwhile.
Old July 17, 2012, 11:18 PM   #38
farmerboy

yes everyone has their own opinions and thats what makes us different and who we are but I sure cant say i am or have been perfect but i guess Im saying Id try to give the hog to somebody less fortunate maybe in town or something.. Maybe just me but I have killed hogs and took them to town and found someone who wanted them but understand everytime is not so simple.
Old July 18, 2012, 06:55 AM   #39
Saltydog235

We don't call them ditch meat for nothing. Might process a smaller one but not those big rank boars. Besides, its cheaper to buy pork than it is to process it. Buzzards, worms and maggots gotta eat too.
Old July 18, 2012, 08:36 AM   #40
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I doubt that there is disagreement here that miniguns are not at all sporting. I hope that it's realized that for many who have had to deal with damage from feral hogs that fairness, ethics, clean kill, etc., are just not part of the equation.

Let's leave it at that...
Closed Thread