The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2011, 05:31 PM   #1
S_Constitutionist

(noob) Berrys 125gr TMJ 9mm - need some help.

Hello,

I recently finished getting everything together and I am ready to start reloading. I'm loading 9mm on a Lee Deluxe Turret, loading in batches to start (auto index removed).

I got a good deal on 1000 bullets at my local gun show. They are made by Berry's and listed as plated 125gr TMJ round nose. However, the Berry's website only lists a 124gr RN.
The bullets fluctuate between 124 and 125 grains. They measure .356 diameter and average .579 in length.

I have not been able to find load data in my Lyman manual or online. Berry's website says to use load data between jacketed and lead. Some say to use lead data for plated bullets... some people say to use %10 less powder because its plated, others say 10% less because its TMJ and not FMJ.

Its left me all quite confused.

I'm loading with Win 231 but I have a small amount of Unique from a friend. Winchester small pistol primers.

Lyman #49 doesn't list a 124gr lead or FMJ. A 124gr JHP says to start at 3.9gr of 231 or 4.5gr of Unique. The only lead data given is for very different bullets.

I've been thinking of 3.6gr of 231 to start (roughly 10% downloaded from the JHP data). Does anyone have some experience to let me know if im going in the right direction?
Old June 12, 2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Loader9

As long as you keep velocity at or below 1200'ps for a plated bullet, you'll be fine. Considering it is a 9mm, that's not a problem. My books say 4.9grs Unique under that bullet gets you 1077'ps and is a max load. 4.8grs 231 gets you 1090'ps as a max load. COL 1.150 is listed as the length. As always, work up to max loads.
Old June 12, 2011, 05:57 PM   #3
dunerjeff

I use Berrys all the time and they are good bullets,Ive loaded them up to 85percent of JHP loads, depends on caliber, but it is safer to stay at the bottom half of JHP loads so you should be good to go to 4.0gr 231 but start at you 3.6 and work up .Unique should be good to 4.7gr , start at 4.0-4.2gr. Just watch your oal compared to what is listed for the 125JHP. If your shorter you'll have to drop charges down a little more.
Old June 12, 2011, 05:58 PM   #4
golfnutrlv

You should be fine with the first replies data. Sounds good to me.

I prefer jacketed bullets, had semi good results with the plated bullets I tried. If you need more bullets, order Montana Gold's. They are some of the best out there. Certainly well priced.

http://www.montanagoldbullet.com

FWIW, both powders you listed will power a 9mm well. However, it has been my observation that 9mm performs better with a medium burn rate powder, such as Hodgdon HS6 (my personal choice). 231 and unique have faster burn rates, and when you compact them into a 9mm case, you can get higher pressures in a hurry. Safe, but I stay away from them.

Burn rate info here: http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Enjoy.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old June 12, 2011, 07:00 PM   #5
S_Constitutionist

Thank you very much folks! I'll report back with my results.

I chose 231 and Unique because I also plan on loading .45ACP once I get 9mm down and I got a good deal on both.

Regards!
Old June 15, 2011, 01:01 AM   #6
medalguy

The difference in FMJ and TMJ is the TMJ totally encapsulates the lead core. This is to prevent exposure to lead during loading and shooting. FMJ has a jacket into which a lead core is swaged, leaving the back end of the bullet with exposed lead.

Don't worry at all about the weight. +/- 1 grain means nothing.

TMJ I believe are always plated bullets. These require slightly lower velocities to prevent the plating from becoming separated from the core at high speeds. The manufacturers usually recommend keeping velocity under 1100 fps so any load not over that should work well.
Old June 15, 2011, 08:10 AM   #7
WookieRookie

Currently shoot the 124 RN with 4.3 of 231, and it's the most accurate load I've found out of any projectiles. Good luck!
Old June 15, 2011, 08:27 AM   #8
Sevens

Sounds like you are getting decent advice in this thread... and my advice differs a little bit. Doesn't mean I'm right and they are wrong, and doesn't mean the opposite either. Just take my experience along with the other advice you've gotten and keep it in mind.

I've loaded thousands of 125gr Berry's 9mm bullets. Typically I use the 125gr RN, recently I've taken to using the flat point.

In both cases, I load these to full 9mm jacketed loads. I don't load them -HOT- but I don't run them like they are soft lead.

I don't have W231 and haven't ever used it, but you can compare a couple of my favorite loads to published max (which varies by source) to get an idea of how I load them:

With Power Pistol, I load them to around 6.0 grains at a COAL of 1.158"
I've loaded them higher, but have settled on 6.0 grains.

With Universal, I load them to 4.7 grains at the same COAL.
With Bullseye, I load them with 4.4 grains at the same COAL, but it's been a long time.

I use Berry's plated bullets in 7 handgun calibers. The one thing I will NOT do is to be bashful with them. These are not lead bullets and if you go too light, pounding them out of a bore because you stuck one is no fun whatsoever.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:06 AM   #9
Berry's MfG

We don't make a 9mm 125gr bullet, only a 124gr in RN or FP. If you bought them in our bulk cardboard box it will have our stamp on top that will show caliber and weight. We don't make a 125gr RN only in an HP or FP. If you got a true 125gr it might be a .357" bullet, let me know what you find.
Old June 15, 2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Sevens

Meh, I don't make a big distinction between 124 and 125 grains. I know my cast LRN's are 125, I know that jacketed RN's are 124... so I just picked one to try to remember the weight of the Berry's plated.

I suppose I oughta know seeing as I've spent a lot of dough on them... but they all seem to work, so it's not a detail I consider important. (of course, if I were representing the company... I probably would see the importance of that detail!)
Old June 15, 2011, 11:35 AM   #11
Berry's MfG

It probably won't make a lot of difference but one is .356" and the other is .357"
Old June 15, 2011, 03:27 PM   #12
S_Constitutionist

Thank you for your reply and interest Mr. Philips!

The bullets did in fact come in a bulk cardboard box with your logo on the side of it. However, the box did not have any marking on top other than a sticker placed there by the re-seller- it states "125gr TMJ, 1000".

I can only assume that the re-seller (Miwall ammo) didnt know the weight, pulled one and weighed it at 125gr, and then marked the boxes as such.

Bullets are round nose and all (mic'd 10) are .356 diameter.

To everyone else, I REALLY appreciate you helping me make sense of this
Old June 15, 2011, 06:38 PM   #13
engineermike

did you weigh any of these bullets? Never mind I just read the rest of your post...
Old June 15, 2011, 06:44 PM   #14
engineermike

Unless I missed it , what C.O.L. are you using?