The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 4, 2010, 09:07 PM   #1
TXGunNut

.45-70 or .45-90?

Finally got to take my Pedretti & Sons .45-70 Sharps replica to the range with my first attempts at bullet casting loaded over 61grs of black powder. Rifle and ammo seemed to perform OK, considering my old eyes had trouble seeing the target @ 100 yds. I'll try a different target next time, has worked well in the recent past.
Here's the interesting part: I've been advised to seat the bullet out to touch the rifling. I tried to accomplish this by dropping one of my shiny new 405gr boolits into the chamber and measured from the base of the bullet to the end of the chamber. Distance was 2.1", same as the length of the case! Engaging the rifling was simply not possible. I seated the bullets to the driving band past the top grease groove over a slightly compressed load and a .060 veggie wad. It's been a few weeks since I loaded them and something has been bothering me. Could this be a sloppy chamber or was it chambered for something else like a .45-90 (2.4") or even .45-100 (2.6")? I don't have any cerro-safe on hand so at this point I'm speculating. I even tried a few .45-90's @ the range today. Chambered and fired just fine! I inspected the chamber and it is smooth and well-cut with a nice shoulder just before the rifling begins.
Here's my question: Do I make the cast and load the longest cartridge that will fit in the chamber or just try to make do as a .45-70? I can use the cases and dies for my Marlin Guide Gun so they won't go to waste. I don't really want a .45-100 or even a.45-90 but will buy the cases if that's what it takes to make this rifle shoot.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 4, 2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Hawg

It should perform well with 45-70. If you have crayons you can melt them to make a chamber cast.
Old April 4, 2010, 09:38 PM   #3
spitpatch

Match

Tex : I know it's a long way but I would not have been suprised to see you today at our match. Very tricky winds. Shot better than last time, got a 19.
Wish I could help with your gun. I think I am one of the few that load with out the bullet touching the rifleing. I have tested my load shooting many groups at 200 & 600 yds. And am ok with what I am doing, don't want to change. Good luck. Jim H
Old April 4, 2010, 10:14 PM   #4
TXGunNut

Great shooting, Jim! Wish I had been there but I've just started working on my loads. My original purpose for coming up there was to learn how to load for and shoot these beautiful rifles. I've been off the comp shooting trail for about ten years and I kinda miss it. Coming up there and enjoying your match made me miss it even more. I still want to learn how to shoot this rifle well enough for hunting and informal target shooting but if I have to get back into comp shooting to do that I'll just have to grin and bear it.
Thanks for the tip, Hawg. I'm a bit leary of that casting stuff so will give it serious thought if I decide 2.1" is not enough.
I know folks shoot .45-70 cartridges in longer chambers but not sure it will give the best results. The .45-70 cases don't seem to seal the chamber especially well so I wonder if a longer case would seal better.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.