The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2001, 02:10 PM   #1
Northwest Cajun

Terminal Energy

Hi Guys,
Would it make a difference in bullet weight if the ammount of foot pounds are the same at a given distance?
Let me explain, I'll be going Elk hunting this fall and I have narrowed my choice of bullets between a 180gr or a 165gr Partition in a .30-06 both loaded to give 2000 Ft/lbs at 200 yds. Would the Elk know the difference?
I'm using varget in my loads and not getting the velocity with the 180's I was expecting. I might also try the 165gr Grand Slams and if are as good as Partitions I'll use them (they are about $5.00 cheaper per 50)

Thanks
Cajun
Old June 26, 2001, 03:24 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Cajun,

Would the elk know the difference? Not at 200 yds. Of course what you describe means that two different bullet weights delivering the same energy at a given distance from the muzzle are traveling at different velocities at the muzzle and at the distance at which the energy is measured to be the same. At the distance from the muzzle where the velocities are the same, the energy is very different.

This question: "Would it make a difference in bullet weight if the ammount of foot pounds are the same at a given distance?" I do not understand.
Old June 26, 2001, 05:44 PM   #3
JohnK

I the 180 gr bullet is going to have slightly more momentum than the 165gr which should get you more penetration, depending on the specific bullet design of course. The difference in momentum is pretty minor though, 55 lbs/ft vs 57.

I would think that most elk hunters would opt for the heavier bullet assuming equal accuracy so you can place the shot where you need to.

http://www.handloads.com
Molan Labe!
Old June 26, 2001, 05:56 PM   #4
MrMisanthrope

See my reply in Hunting

* HONOR PRAE OMNIBUS - INIURIA MINIMA OMNIBUS
* Honor Before All - Doing Least Harm Always
---------------------------------------