The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 15, 2013, 08:21 PM   #51
huevos_rancheros

my wife loves her P238 and she has small hands
Old July 15, 2013, 10:52 PM   #52
seeker_two

Do you always do what your wife tells you to do?.....

....I hope so...b/c she'll get that LCP no matter what advice you get here....

....and none of us will be sleeping in the doghouse for you....
Old July 16, 2013, 10:43 PM   #53
Yung.gunr

Said it before and I'll say it again.....

I like the TCP trigger better than the LCP, they are both pretty snappy though.

Sig P238 is leaps and bounds better than either or the Ruger LC9.

If you have the $$ definitely get the P238. My wife LOVES the P238.
Old July 18, 2013, 01:02 AM   #54
Mosin44az

Not clear to me that your wife has SHOT an LCP. If not, she should rent or borrow one. The recoil is a bit sharp. Adding the grip extensions from Ruger or Pearce Grip helps alot, so does a Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove wraparound. Still not a pleasure to shoot, and the effective range is 7 yards in.

The new LCPs apparently have better sights and a smoother trigger out of the box, so Ruger has handled the other issues I noticed when I bought mine.

Mine has been very reliable through 2000 rounds, and reliability is the most important factor....

Alternatives are the Smith Bodyguard .380, which has better sights but mine had a very heavy trigger and all sorts of other problems. Others seem to have less problems so maybe Smith has dealt with the QC issues.

Then there is the SIG P238, mine is great so far, but as a single action it's not a beginner's gun, as others have noted.
Old July 18, 2013, 07:15 AM   #55
MJFlores

Why do people buy an LCP and then add grip extensions, the Pach grip thickeners...send it out for better sights to be installed, etc, etc. If you need to do all that you didn't do your homework. You're trying to turn your gun into something it's not. The LCP is a micro concealment pistol. If this isn't what you're trying to get simply buy a larger gun. If you want a good, reliable, safe pistol to slip into your pants front pocket or for your wife to slip into a dedicated pocket inside her small purse then look no further. We cant get all our dreams in one gun...if that was the case there would only be one gun for sale. When looking at ultra concealment options it's always a give on features and a take on concealment ability. My favorite carry pistol is a .40 cal Sig 229 but I cannot wear that gun and also wear shorts and a t-shirt. This is where the LCP comes in with it's features.
Old July 19, 2013, 01:22 AM   #56
Mosin44az

The grip extensions and Pachmayr wraparound add very little bulk and weight, and cost very little. LCP still disappears easily in the pocket. Reason to buy it, despite the pain...it's reliable and well built, and very easy to carry. It is not perfect.
Old July 22, 2013, 08:26 AM   #57
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Why do people buy an LCP and then add grip extensions, the Pach grip thickeners...send it out for better sights to be installed, etc, etc. If you need to do all that you didn't do your homework. You're trying to turn your gun into something it's not. The LCP is a micro concealment pistol. If this isn't what you're trying to get simply buy a larger gun. If you want a good, reliable, safe pistol to slip into your pants front pocket or for your wife to slip into a dedicated pocket inside her small purse then look no further. We cant get all our dreams in one gun...if that was the case there would only be one gun for sale. When looking at ultra concealment options it's always a give on features and a take on concealment ability. My favorite carry pistol is a .40 cal Sig 229 but I cannot wear that gun and also wear shorts and a t-shirt. This is where the LCP comes in with it's features.
Zactly!!!

Quote:
Reason to buy it, despite the pain.

Pain? What pain???
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 22, 2013, 10:35 PM   #58
seeker_two

Quote:
Pain? What pain???
The pain of telling your wife that she can't have a LCP....

Old July 22, 2013, 11:12 PM   #59
redhologram

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker_two
Quote:
Pain? What pain???
The pain of telling your wife that she can't have a LCP....
You know what they say... "When Mama ain't happy....."
Old July 23, 2013, 01:33 PM   #60
Cheapshooter

Quote:
You know what they say... "When Mama ain't happy....."
True experience at a BPS gun counter.
Young mom with her two crumb crunchers at her side. Little crumb cruncher says "Mama, that one is cute" as she pointed to a compact 9MM. "No baby, Mama want's a 45" was the reply.

If only I were a country song writer.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 23, 2013, 05:31 PM   #61
redhologram

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapshooter
True experience at a BPS gun counter.
Young mom with her two crumb crunchers at her side. Little crumb cruncher says "Mama, that one is cute" as she pointed to a compact 9MM. "No baby, Mama want's a 45" was the reply.

If only I were a country song writer.
Sounds like David Allan Coe left an important verse out of his song...