The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2012, 12:24 PM   #1
elkslayer4x5

Ram primer units

Looking for opinions on ram primer units as manufactured by Lee and RCBS. I have a RCBS unit, and really like the consiscent primer seating. The biggest 'con' is the fact that you need to reset the unit for each cartridge, unless you have a ram primer unit for each cartridge that you load. Which, in my mind is'nt all that bad, as I like tools, the more the better. Have'nt had any experience with the Lee unit, has any of you used both? And if so, what are the pros and cons of each, other than the Lee is about half the cost of the RCBS? Thanks for any opinions.
Old August 27, 2012, 10:57 AM   #2
elkslayer4x5

Hard to believe that this post has had 72 views and no replys, has noone used these priming units, other than me?
Old August 27, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3
jimkim

Quote:
Hard to believe that this post has had 72 views and no replys, has noone used these priming units, other than me? elkslayer4x5
I don't. I own an older Lee Auto Prime II, but have never used it. Most of my priming is done with a handheld Auto Prime.

From talking to friends, the Auto Prime II is the one to get. I should probably mount mine on one of my other presses and leave it a dedicated priming tool.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/556...d-priming-tool
Old August 27, 2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Sevens

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Lee quite producing the Safety Prime II.

Here is a picture, since so much of their stuff has similar names:
http://tecmagex.com/media/catalog/pr...prime_ii_8.jpg

It's a ram prime unit with their simple round tray. Sure, you had to bump the tray a bit to ensure that it would always feed primers, but you had terrific "feel" in primer seating and it always worked, ALWAYS, all the time.

I still use mine for a few assorted handgun rounds and all the rifle that I do.

Uses standard shell holders that you need & use with the press already. A perfectly simple system, completely durable and mine will likely last forever.
Old August 27, 2012, 03:07 PM   #5
mikld

Yes, I have a Lee Ram Prime. I find it to be the best primer seating tool I have (I have a Hornady hand held, used to have a Lee hand held, three types of press "primer arms"). Seems to be more sensitive than the other types. If there is a problem, it would be seating the primers in the cup one at a time. Don't know what you mean by "reset the unit". My Ram Prime tool has 2 pins w/cups that are easily interchanged for large or small primers...
Old August 28, 2012, 09:50 AM   #6
elkslayer4x5

[QUOTE]Yes, I have a Lee Ram Prime. I find it to be the best primer seating tool I have (I have a Hornady hand held, used to have a Lee hand held, three types of press "primer arms"). Seems to be more sensitive than the other types. If there is a problem, it would be seating the primers in the cup one at a time. Don't know what you mean by "reset the unit". My Ram Prime tool has 2 pins w/cups that are easily interchanged for large or small primers... [/QOUTE]
What I ment was that each time you switch cartridges, you need to re-adjust the ram prime unit to get the primer set at the desired seating depth, because of the differences in the rim thickness of each caliber.
Old August 28, 2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Salmoneye

I use the RCBS and it works well...

It never occurred to me that I did not have to reset it each time I switched...

Just the nature of the beast...
Old August 28, 2012, 12:34 PM   #8
mikld

In quite a few years seating primers, I have never used any "stops" or "adjustments" to control the seating depth of the primer. The depth of the primer seating is determined by the primer pocket depth; all the way down! I seat the primers by "feel"; I can feel when the primers hit bottom...
Old August 28, 2012, 01:27 PM   #9
jaguarxk120

My RCBS priming tool is marked P.D. for priming device, and has a date code of 1966, this date predates many of the new wiz-bang special priming tools out there.

Due note that there were many different priming tools at that time and they were very good ones , not built to the price point tooling of some of todays reloading tools.
Old August 31, 2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Superhornet

RCBS, LYMAN, C-H, and Lee all make press mounted Ram Prime. I use both the RCBS and Lyman. They work great. The C-H also comes with a unit that will decrimp the military brass.
Old August 31, 2012, 03:38 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
Looking for opinions on ram primer units as manufactured by Lee and RCBS. I have a RCBS unit, and really like the consiscent primer seating. The biggest 'con' is the fact that you need to reset the unit for each cartridge, unless you have a ram primer unit for each cartridge that you load. Which, in my mind is'nt all that bad, as I like tools, the more the better. Have'nt had any experience with the Lee unit, has any of you used both? And if so, what are the pros and cons of each, other than the Lee is about half the cost of the RCBS? Thanks for any opinions.
I've had ram prime dies from Lee, RCBS and Lyman. Skip the Lee. My recollection is that there wasn't enough of the body of the die there to get a lock ring on it that could be set in place.

Swapping large and small primer punches in the Lyman was such a pain that I eventually got a second, and set one up for large primers, one for small.

I don't use any of them right now. For those I don't prime on the Pro 1000, I prime with a Lee Ergo Prime.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "