The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 3, 2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Drummer101

Anyone know where I could buy this?

I am looking at this shotgun:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/76742

It is the same shotgun that I have but it has an adjustable comb. Anyone know where I could buy that stock? I do not care about the front hand guard.

Adjustable length of pull aswell would be even better as I shoot with it is 100 degrees or 5 degrees (with a thick coat).

And something else I was looking at was getting a spacer for my stock but I am having trouble interpreting the numbers.

These is this one:
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...0-parts/C55407

and this one:
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...0-parts/C55408

How do the dimensions work?

What I am looking to do is to drop the stock because mine comes strait back just a little too much, but I like the length of pull as it is, but just a touch longer would not hurt (thinking about shaving off part of the back for a limb saver, fired a 3 inch slug for the first time and that had some punch...).

Took out the tape measure and I would like to drop it between 1 inch and 1.5 inches... Seems like alot...

Last edited by Drummer101; July 3, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old July 4, 2011, 06:45 AM   #2
RoscoeC

You need two matching shims. The one you show, and a matching one that goes in the butt stock under the draw bolt. It is simpler than it looks at first. The SX and DX stand for Sinestra and Destra, left and right in Italian respectively, and the number is the amount of drop in millimeters.

This equates to "cast off" for right handers where the stock is slightly to the right of the centerline of the action (DX) and "cast on" where it is slightly to the left or (SX). So, the one you show in the picture would give you a 55 mm drop with cast off for a right hander, or if you install it the other way it will give you 60mm drop with cast on for a left handed shooter. To keep from cracking the stock you need the corresponding washer in the butt stock.

Check Cole Gunsmithing for the shims. Cole's is pretty much the authority on all things Beretta. Call them.

MGW may have what you are looking for, but I would call them.

There used to be some third party folks that made shims with more and less adjustment than the factory ones, but I don't know if they are still available or not.
NRA Life Member

Last edited by RoscoeC; July 4, 2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old July 4, 2011, 01:25 PM   #3
zippy13

IINM, the Beretta 3901 RL is a youth gun. It's one of the best deals out there -- they are specially priced to encourage young shooters. The adjustable stock is youth length!
Old July 4, 2011, 01:41 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Can't you have your stock cut for an adjustable comb instead of buying another one?
Old July 4, 2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Rugerismisticness

I'd much more recommend that you have your stock worked over to be made adjustible.
Old July 6, 2011, 09:12 AM   #6
maierar

If you like your gun and it shoots well for you,consider contacting Jim Olivant at Highland Stock Fitters (931-648-8289). For extremely reasonable rates, with fast turn-around, he does exceptionally good work installing adjustable combs and butt plates to make your gun a perfect fit. He has worked on several of my guns and I am completely satisfied with each job.
Stock work is one of those things that is almost always done better by an experienced professional than by even a talented amateur.
Disclaimer: My only connection with Jim is as a happy customer and fellow cigar and clays enthusiast.