The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old February 8, 2008, 04:52 AM   #26
Sgt.Dusk

I think that its just easier to buy a supressor
and use that...I got one in my 10/22 and its great with subsonics.
Sound is still quite loud with faster bullets.
Because supressors/silencers are not illegal here I could actually try out that coke bottle thing. I think someone else has gotten the same idea after watching "Shooter"-movie.
Old February 8, 2008, 05:22 AM   #27
predator86

dude that idea was around long before "shooter"

lets just say that i first did it when i was 9.........and now im 21, the idea has been around......
Old February 8, 2008, 08:24 AM   #28
95P38RR

Had I known this thread would have blown up like it did I wouldn't have even posted it.

I'm gonna have to check out that site for a real suppressor. Even though it's gonna cost more than the gun and any of the ammo I've run through it, it'll be worth checking out anyway.

Thanks guys!

Results to never be determined as case study has no justification

-James

94 GT Vert, 95 RR P38, 01 F150 4x4, 05 Freelander SE, 05 Z1000
Old February 8, 2008, 08:29 AM   #29
DBotkin

So wait... if I'm at the range and have a few empty pop bottles in the truck awaiting their turn to fulfill their ultimate destiny (being used as plinking targets), d'you think I'll end up in jail? After all, even if I'm not using one as a suppressor, I do posses the objects that could possibly be used as one. Maybe. Or maybe not? I'm so confused...

Personally, I've always wondered whether that trick actually works. I've never tried it, just because if I've learned anything in the last 47 years it is that even ideas that seem to make sense can have disastrously unintended consequences, so I tend not to "play" with guns in new and adventurous ways. If I did decide to try it (and I doubt I ever will), nobody would know about it.

Off topic a little, but I once got the opportunity to fire a (completely legal) suppressed full-auto .22 SMG - I think it was an American Eagle, looked kind of like a Thompson but ejected brass straight down. What a blast!!! That sucker would throw lead downrange at an amazing rate, and all you heard was the bolt cycling and the brass tinkling o the gravel. We used the rate of fire and MV of the ammo to figure the rounds were going down range about 8 feet apart.
Old February 8, 2008, 08:46 AM   #30
Leif

Quote:
that's why i posted it on here so knowledgeable people could tell me what's what
Then why don't you do some damn research on your own. You say that your an administrator on another VB site - surely you know how to use the search function, don't you? I mean, it's not like we don't have an entire section devoted to NFA questions.

I really wish people would stop trying to drag this place down with poorly written foolishness like this. This individual can't even be bothered with punctuation. There was a time you'd be warned on writing style alone.
Old February 8, 2008, 09:40 AM   #31
95P38RR

Unsuitable language removed by moderator.

94 GT Vert, 95 RR P38, 01 F150 4x4, 05 Freelander SE, 05 Z1000

Last edited by Johnny Guest; February 8, 2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Above
Old February 8, 2008, 09:42 AM   #32
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Wow! All this since I went to bed.

First, this discussion properly belongs on the NFA Forum of TFL. It may seem nit-picking as I'm about to close the thread, but I feel some of this might be of interest to the mambership.

Some friendly hints from your moderator - -

The local NFA forum rules were posted when we first set it up as the Full Auto Forum. That post, entitled, "Welcome" is still floated at the top of this forum. It includes this paragraph:
Quote:
About the only hard and fast rule here in Full Auto forum is that, like them or not, there ARE some laws and regulations which must be followed. Please, no discussions of anything which might appear to be in violation of the law.
1. We do not plan or help others plan to violate the law - - Local ordinances, state, or federal.

2. Anyone who appears to be doing so MAY be warned, or may just have posting privileges revoked.

3. It is sometimes a judgment call on the part of a staffer, how to handle this sort of thing. On the one hand, a guy can say, "Hey, I'm gonna fix me up a home-made 7.62 Mini Gun." And we all grin and wait for the punch line. The guy's clearly not serious. Such a project requires some quite specialized knowledge, some quite specialized tools and machinery, and a degree of expertise which is rather rare outside certain industries. This doesn't even mention the expense.

Okay - - I know for a fact that there are some very talented machinists and gunsmiths on the board who MIGHT have the ability to do that kind of work, given a proper shop. And, there are several TFL members who are VERY well-to-do, and who could be termed "rich." They might afford to finance such a project, if they wanted. THEY would probably be smart enough to set up a licensed business and do it legally. Or they'd take it off shore, outside the USA. But, being that rich, they'd probably just BUY one of the few transferable mini guns.

Conversely, though, there's something like the guy who says he has an extra lawn mover muffler and figures to adapt it to fit over the muzzle of some gun, "just to quiet it down a little." Now, THAT'S something that is readily doable, requiring minimal tools or talent. It can give others to think, "Hey, I'm gonna do that, too." This is the kind of thread we shut down, or delete entirely.

So, the point is this---
To anyone who's announced their plans to manufacture a suppressor or silencer, however simple, without complying with applicable laws - -
YOU ARE HEREBY WARNED, Stop it. Any more of this type discussion will get you banned.

This thread is CLOSED.

Johnny Guest
TFL Staff
NFA Forum moderator

Last edited by Johnny Guest; February 8, 2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Add more info.
Closed Thread