The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 9, 2007, 11:17 AM   #1
chaser_2332

help with red dot

i have a GF that is gettin into hunting, she started with archery and now wants to possibly shoot a rifle. she is short and gettin to the scope even with a short stock is not very comfy for her. i am wanting to get her a little single shot 243 to try out was wondering if some of the better red dot sights would be ok to allow her to shoot acurately while a little farther back until she gets used to it????????????
Old December 9, 2007, 02:14 PM   #2
mstuhr

Sure!

Hi Chaser,
I'd say any of the good ones and most of the cheap ones will work just fine.
There are several out there that offer a little magnification too.
I have a suggestion. If field of view is not that important one of the older Aimpoints like a 1000 or 2000 model would be great. They have a very refined dot and better optics than a lot of the newer, larger tube dot sights and are tough as woodpecker lips. I have bought several and sold several off of E-Bay and the last one I bought I gave $22.00 shipped and it was a nice one. You can expect to get one pretty easy for $30.00 - $40.00 and the Weaver type mount is integral.
Good luck
Mike

Last edited by mstuhr; December 9, 2007 at 02:14 PM. Reason: stuttering typing finger
Old December 9, 2007, 05:41 PM   #3
chaser_2332

ttt
Old December 18, 2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Alleykat

I use an old Tasco Pro Point 3; have had it mounted to a Mod 29, .44 mag; my Bushmaster; it's currently mounted on a G20. Works great.

Also might look at the excellent Remington Mod 700 Youth Model in .243 @ Wal-Mart for $325. The action is worth more than $325!
Old December 22, 2007, 08:33 PM   #5
velocette

Midway has on sale right now the Aimpoint 9000 red dot scopes. One of the models is a 2x scope with a 1 moa dot. This might be just the ticket for her rifle. Pictures are the scope on an M1 but you'll see what it looks like and How I mounted it. It can be closer to the eye than it is on my M1 but clearly does not need to be close like a normal scope.

enjoy
Roger

Old December 22, 2007, 09:51 PM   #6
Superhouse 15

Dot Sight

I have had good luck with the 2X red dot from Tru Glo. Should stand up to the recoil fine and is not too expensive. Mine is black with a red dot, but I see they make one in camo and with different reticles now (circle, crosshair, etc).