The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2005, 10:08 AM   #1
joshua

Any Inputs on Mossberg Over Unders???

I can't believe my eyes when I saw a Mossberg over under for sale in an auction. I never thought Mossberg will get the idea, but I really don't want to sink 500 bucks on one due to Mossberg's history in producing other shotguns besides their 500 and 935 line. I do own a 9200 semi with a 28 inch ribbed barrel that has been very reliable everytime I take it out shooting from trap loads to some heavy 3" #4s. Any inputs with their new over under such as quality, durability, features desired in a field or target gun. I've never owned an over under and only fired one once and it was a Ruger Red Label, sweet but not as better balancing than a Citori. Thanks. josh
Old July 15, 2005, 07:47 AM   #2
joshua

BTT, just in case info is available. josh
Old July 15, 2005, 10:04 AM   #3
m0ntels

Found this with a little hunting around...

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...ic.php?p=95108

Quote:
Got a Mossberg Silver Reserve (built by Khan Firearms in Turkey) a few days ago. Not to much info on them out there yet, so I thought I would post up my impressions. Very nice shotgun. Falls between the Stoeger O/U's and the Ruger Red Label in quality and appearance. Blued 28" barrels, SS engraved receiver, blued engraved trigger guard, matte finished & checkered black walnut stock & forearm. Right hand palm swell, but not uncomfortable for a left hand shooter (me) and did not affect my shooting. No apparent cast. Stock dimensions appear to be identical to a Red Label. Well designed, easy to operate tang safety/barrel selector. Points, handles, and shoots extremely well (went 24/25 the first time I shot clays with it, and have never shot an O/U before). No auto ejectors, but extractors raise hulls for easy removal. Comes with 5 chokes (ICx2, M, IM, F) that are proofed for steel shot. Will be a superb upland gun, perhaps a bit too nice (at least to my mind) to risk a dunking while waterfowling. Much better shotgun than the $500 price tag suggests. If you aren't of a mind to pay $1,000-$1,200 for a Traditions Upland/Waterflowl II or a Red Label (the "low" end of the better OU's I looked at...), you might want to look at a Silver Reserve. The roosters and sharps will rue the day I took delivery...
You should be able to find a bunch of commentary on the Khan here and other places. I think CDNN stocks them as well.

Randy
Old July 16, 2005, 01:22 AM   #4
mtnboomer

BTW - Marlin is bringing back the A. H. Fox shotgun line (they've owned the name since the 1940's). They have an O/U out that looks nice and I believe it's made in Italy.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old July 16, 2005, 03:34 AM   #5
joshua

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of buying one as my retirement gift. Trap duty will be the purpose of it with some upland bird hunting. Thanks again. josh
Old July 17, 2005, 11:17 PM   #6
Glenn Kelley

O/u

Just went to the Marlin site.They are importing a line of doubles from Italy under the L.C.Smith name.I believe that Savage owns the Fox name.

Glenn
Old July 18, 2005, 01:08 AM   #7
mtnboomer

Oops, my mistake! I knew it was a famous name but I got the wrong one.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old July 18, 2005, 08:39 AM   #8
m0ntels

Saw a few of the Mossys over the weekend at a show, and they are pretty nice looking! Didnt look too long cuz I had already blown my allowance and didnt wanna get myself in trouble

It is on my wants list though...

Randy
Old July 23, 2005, 09:13 PM   #9
FamDfndr

I want to purchase a Browning Cynergy but some how the local dealer has tripled the price even using the highest exchange rate, so I am now considering a Mossberg O/U or a Remington SPR Sporting. The Automatic ejectors on the Spartan is the only technical consideration that was making me lean toward it over the Mossberg based on the very limited feed back available. But I did consider that the Mossberg could be better made am I off? I do believe that owing to the 2-shot limit on O/U auto ejectors are real important but then I am new to this so any useful input would help me decide.
Old July 27, 2005, 10:59 AM   #10
joshua

I'm thinking Mossberg is leaning more for hunting use with their shotgun than clays/trap/skeet use. I think pulling empty hulls can get old fast at the range. I like the way they look and I've always wanted a fast swinging over under for birds. josh
Old July 27, 2005, 07:00 PM   #11
Bobshouse

Not me, get tired of bending over and picking up tossed shells...especially when they have 5 or 6 more reloads in them!
Old November 6, 2007, 11:12 AM   #12
travelerBT

supurb shotgun

I have a silver reserve 12/28/3" model... most basic of the reserve series. I LOVE THIS SHOTGUN!

Just returned from a trip to Kansas for opening day... pheasants. Was there for 2 days and came back to colorado with 8 birds...

Shoots great and very accurate. The chokes that come with the shotgun are pretty cheap, so I picked up a couple of trulock chokes, with comps... they were a perfect fit and worked very well.

The safety was pretty stiff, so I had the smithy here in town work on it a bit, and it is nice smooth, and crisp now...

I am thinking I might put a little bit thicker, more comfortable butt pad on the shotgun as well... After a couple of long days of hunting, my shoulder did start to get a bit sore, the ported barrel model would certainly help with this as well.

Overall, I just don't think you can go wrong with this shotgun. For the price, You just can't beat it.

Build your custom 1911 ONLINE! http://www.milehigharmory.com
Old November 6, 2007, 04:20 PM   #13
jaymce

I had a SR Sporting, It had several problems prior to me getting rid of it (about 1200 rounds). The problems are supposed to be fixed but I doubt Mossberg would say, yea the firing pins brake all the time but who cares.

Of the other 2 I know about 1 is broken (lower pin). The Spartan seems a better gun from what I have seen but no experience with it. You might also look at Lanber (cdnn has them for about the same $) The Lanber a friend has is much better in my opinion well worth the extra $.

CDNN currently has a great # of Browinings they probably start at about 3x what the Mossberg will be but will last a life time and resale will probably return the bulk of your $ at a later date when upgrading or selling.

Good luck in your search.
Old December 26, 2007, 01:24 PM   #14
tudvmjt

mossberg over and under

I bought one 13months ago, it was a good shooting gun, however, just yesterday the firing pin on the top barrel broke. I have only put 1000 rds through it. I won't buy another as a matter of fact I'm selling this one as soon as I get it repaired.
Old December 28, 2007, 11:18 AM   #15
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudvmjt
I bought one 13months ago, it was a good shooting gun, however, just yesterday the firing pin on the top barrel broke. I have only put 1000 rds through it. I won't buy another as a matter of fact I'm selling this one as soon as I get it repaired.
Mossberg will send you firing pins for free and you can fix ot yourself, or they will repair it for free.

From what I have read on here and other boards, the firing pin problem has been fixed, I haven't heard of anybody that has reported a problem with the "new" firing pins.... I want one of the 20GA / 28GA combos.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old December 30, 2007, 12:41 AM   #16
tcrook

Received a SR for X-mas

Fired 75 shells today.

There are two dates on the box June, and August 07.

Have the pin issues been fixed?
Old December 30, 2007, 10:59 AM   #17
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrook
Received a SR for X-mas

Fired 75 shells today.

There are two dates on the box June, and August 07.

Have the pin issues been fixed?
First off, Congrats on the new gun!! How does it shoot?? How is the fit and finish??

Those dates are right around when the firing pin "fix" took place, so you might want to call Mossberg and see if they'll tell you if these are before or after the change...

If they won't tell you, make sure that they send you a set of new firing pins, so that you'll have a spare set...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old December 30, 2007, 04:08 PM   #18
rhoffler

silver reserve

shot 150 rounds wednesday proably have about 1700 through it so far it might break the next time i go but has been reliable so far still good and tight Good shooting Remember skeet are not hard to break just easy to miss.
Old January 2, 2008, 06:17 PM   #19
tcrook

Smitty in CT,

Thanks! The only guns I have shot in the past were my fathers beretta Silver Snipe 12ga O/U, and his Fox/Savage Arms 16ga SxS (elmer fudd).

The gun feels nice, and looks nice from my novice perspective. I wanted a gun where if It got scuffed or scratched it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I think my only complaint is that the action is a little tight/springy, and is reluctant to stay open. I have to hold it open while I load, I would imagine this would improve with time and use.
Old January 3, 2008, 06:59 PM   #20
jaymce

tcrook,

The SR I had loosened up after a couple hundred rounds.