The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 10, 2012, 04:41 PM   #26
Edward429451

Now that I think about it, I've had several friends copy my purchases. Several 1911's, an M1A, a Ruger RH 44, and about a dozen 10/22's. I've sold so many 10/22's that I deserve a commission check from Ruger.
Old December 10, 2012, 04:48 PM   #27
Venom1956

99% of the time it doesn't bother me one bit. In fact I'll even help my friends find one.

I'll post what happened to see if I can clarify the situation.

So I went shooting with several people last weekend and a few were friends of friends. Well I bought as always my Dan Wesson Valor, which is my favorite gun and I have worked towards getting it since I was 18.

Well a friend of a friend I have met a few times outside of shooting was there. He well he has much more cash then I and he owns a Colt AR and a 1400 dollar Kimber of some sort. As far as he knew Kimber makes the best 1911s out there. Which is totally fine with me. Well he's never seen nor heard of a DW before. Just the usual Kimber, Colt, Springer, RIA and such.

He felt like he was top dog with his gun over everyone else's glock, and what not. He actually assumed it was a cheap gun due to the fact it lacked a brand name on the slide and front cocking serrations. (I found this slightly humorous.)

When I started shooting my Valor and let others try it they seemed to prefer it to his. This seemed to bother him to the point of asking our mutual friend which he thought was better and why. He knows a lot about DW due to them being one of my preferred 1911 brands he also told him of Nighthawk and Wilson. (I actually hope he gets one of these two)

So now he plans to trade in his Kimber to purchase a Dan Wesson Valor.

I guess the issue isn't that he owns the same model gun as me, more so the reason and why he feels the need to own one.

There wasn't a thing wrong with his Kimber. It worked it grouped well. But after he found it wasn't 'king of the hill' in his eyes. Even though I am not a huge kimber fan I even told him it was a really nice gun.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 10, 2012, 04:52 PM   #28
Stressfire

I think the real question might be who has the longer barrel?

IMO, I wouldn't even make it a thing - if the DW tickles him better than the Kimber, take it as a complement in choosing a good firearm.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:01 PM   #29
jimbob86

Has it happened to me?

Yes.

Did it bother me?

Not at all .... on the contrary: I was pleased that these people had as fine a taste in a Carry gun as I did.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Old December 10, 2012, 05:35 PM   #30
Metal god

Hey venom , you got to let us know what he gets . He sounds like the guy that will get one gold plated with inlaid grips just to have a better one .

Was he cool about it or did he have a bit of a attitude ?

I hope some day I got all the best guns on the range . When I go to the big range here I sit in ah of some of the guns I see there .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 10, 2012, 07:32 PM   #31
Venom1956

Quote:
Was he cool about it or did he have a bit of a attitude?
No he wasn't rude or anything and he couldn't tell any differences between the two guns. So I was just confused why he seemed to NEED a Valor? If you don't know the differences why waste the money? He didn't seem overly impressed when he tried it either. It wasn't like his gun was junk either.

Usually I LOVE when others try out my things and get one of their own. many a Ruger mk2 has been purchased this way. I know a few of my friends that have went nuts after trying my DWs... one is saving for an ECO 9mm and the other is drooling after the Heritage. So I am no stranger to my friends 'following' ( i use that term loosely.) or asking my opinions on guns. Just seemed like he was doing it for all the wrong reasons?

It was just bouncing around in my head while I was at work last few days so I figured i'd post it here.

Quote:
I think the real question might be who has the longer barrel?
Heaven forbid he finds out I own two DW!?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; December 10, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old December 13, 2012, 04:11 PM   #32
jbat35

In my opinion, if it bothers you that someone else bought what you had or better, especially if it is a high end item and they are a beginner, then you are just as competitive as they are. Guns are guns, and many are better than others for certain applications. All the guns I own were bought because I viewed them as the best for the application I wanted them to serve, and if someone asked me that application I would direct them to get the same.

Now, if you are the type to get annoyed by someone who is just starting out buying a $2000 AR to one up you or something of the similar, and they constantly mention how theirs is better, remember that golden ammunition for verbal combat they are giving you. All you need to say is "Wow, your gun costs twice as mine and your shooting half as well as me!" or "Maybe if you went with something more simple you may have learned the fundamentals better." I can almost guarantee they will never brag again until they beat you. And then you have an excuse, and in some situations it may be a just one, of why they are shooting better than you.
Old December 13, 2012, 04:31 PM   #33
Ben Towe

I know a guy who is like that. He'll go out and buy Cooper rifles and Perazzi shotguns just so he can brag them up. He isn't a very good shot so you'll rarely get him on the range to show him up, but he isn't fooling anyone. We all know the truth. He's just the subject of plenty of jokes around certain circles.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:32 PM   #34
Wyoredman

I would love to copy/compete with my best friends' gun purchases...but sadly, I don't have the money he does!

I settle for shooting his guns and ammo every chance I get. Doing so levels the playing field (I my mind, at least)!
Old December 14, 2012, 02:14 AM   #35
johnwilliamson062

I do a lot of research on firearms. I have a number of people who ask me about purchases. One or two have bought things after me. Doesn't bother me at all. I have one guy who buys my used stuff regularly. I spend lots of time looking at gun classifieds and try to pick up all the local deals. he know that if I already have a need met I will take the new one to the range a few times then sell one of them.
Old December 14, 2012, 06:47 AM   #36
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Have you ever had someone copy/compete with your purchases?
I have had several folks copy my purchases and I have copied the purchases of several folks. When somebody finds something good, that works well, is reliable, etc., and like it, of course, then copying is rather pragmatic.

However, one fellow I used to shoot with quite a bit always needed to go further and even went as far as to telling me that he didn't "want me getting ahead of him" or "needing to stay ahead of me." The point to which this really took center stage was in 2009 when we went to a gun show together and I wanted an AR15 of a particular make and model because it had X features. Dang if I didn't find a vendor with them considerably less than I was expecting to pay and so I bought two. Not to be outdone, my buddy who wasn't looking for any just up and bought 3. It was weird.

That was the first time I really took notice because he told me about his issue, and then the issue persisted. The purchases and his need to tell me about outbuying me continued. Finally, I decided he was too weird and don't shoot with him anymore.
Old December 14, 2012, 10:20 AM   #37
Stressfire

Quote:
I would love to copy/compete with my best friends' gun purchases...but sadly, I don't have the money he does!
Personally, I get a bigger kick out of competing with my "budget guns" against friends who spent a whole lot more money on top of the line brands. Drives 'em nuts
Old December 14, 2012, 08:34 PM   #38
Venom1956

Quote:
In my opinion, if it bothers you that someone else bought what you had or better, especially if it is a high end item and they are a beginner, then you are just as competitive as they are. Guns are guns, and many are better than others for certain applications. All the guns I own were bought because I viewed them as the best for the application I wanted them to serve, and if someone asked me that application I would direct them to get the same.

Now, if you are the type to get annoyed by someone who is just starting out buying a $2000 AR to one up you or something of the similar, and they constantly mention how theirs is better, remember that golden ammunition for verbal combat they are giving you. All you need to say is "Wow, your gun costs twice as mine and your shooting half as well as me!" or "Maybe if you went with something more simple you may have learned the fundamentals better." I can almost guarantee they will never brag again until they beat you. And then you have an excuse, and in some situations it may be a just one, of why they are shooting better than you.
I think you missed the entire point of what I said... I actually would love for him to get something nicer I recommended Wilson, Nighthawk and GI Industries to him, my concern was if he was buying the gun because he felt bested or shown up in someway. Since he didn't know what else was above kimber he just defaulted to my brand of choice because of his lack of knowledge.

It's just honestly the first time I've shot with someone who at the beginning of the range session LOVED his gun and at the end wanted what I had... I was baffled. I mean in away I was happy he liked it, sad that he now liked his own gun less because of it. etc... it was just really strange.

Will I lose sleep if he buys my exact gun? Nope. But I was hoping some people here could shed light on the topic.

Quote:
Personally, I get a bigger kick out of competing with my "budget guns" against friends who spent a whole lot more money on top of the line brands. Drives 'em nuts
Lol also nice. actually these events are few and far between my group of friends have all together gravitated towards a few main guns we all tend to enjoy. So there are more subtle variants then complete differences.