The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 20, 2001, 02:51 PM   #1
Jeremae

It's a product call hunt-r-vue from a company called oakvue

It looks pretty neat but is it any more useful than a topo map and printed arial photo?

Is it even worth the price just to get the map and photos from one source...

here's their website: http://www.oakvue.com/
Old February 22, 2001, 02:21 PM   #2
bergie

looks interesting

but I would have a few questions to ask before I ordered. The website says the maps and images use the same boundaries as the standard topo maps, the property that I hunt deer on (roughly 6 sections) is split right down the middle of the main valley by the boundary on standard maps. This being the case, I assume that I would have to order a second set which would make it way too expensive.
The topo map of the property that I now use, was made from 2 photocopies of the adjoining maps cropped off, taped together, copied onto one sheet, zoomed in and then about a 1/2 dozen copies made, for a total of about $2 and an hours worth of time in the university geography library. All my buddies that hunt on the place have a copy, or even a copy of a copy, and we have one copy blown way up, and laminated which is hung on the wall at camp, to which everyone adds some information each year.
bergie
Old February 22, 2001, 06:19 PM   #3
Rottweiler

I use a software package put out by DeLorme called TOPO USA.I'm very happy with it. As a bonus it is compatible with my GPS. They have a website at http://www.delorme.com