The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 23, 2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Pathfinder45

Bismuth or Tungsten Matrix or ?

I have a 12 gauge Winchester model 1912 with full choke that's nearly a century old. Who all's non-steel, non-toxic shotshells on waterfowl in vintage guns and what ammo do you recommend for my Winchester that's legal on waterfowl and won't damage my gun?
Old February 23, 2010, 08:28 PM   #2
30-30remchester

I have used Bismoth for years in my full choke model 12.
Old February 23, 2010, 10:53 PM   #3
rbernie

I was of the impression that any barrel not rated for steel shot was also not rated for other non-toxic shot, due to the extreme hardness of the non-toxic shot.

?
Old February 23, 2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Doc Intrepid

rbernie,

Is the rating 'automatic'? That is, is it something like "any shotgun barrel manufactured prior to 1940 is automatically not rated for steel shot", or words to that effect? Or is there more to it than that?

I have a Winchester shotgun manufactured in 1907, and am also wondering what modern loads are safe to shoot in it.

Thanks,

Doc
Old February 23, 2010, 11:05 PM   #5
jrothWA

general consideration is...

that Bismuth is best for older guns BUT harder to find.
SOME say the "NICE" shot is good forolder guns BUT contact a good smith and get his recommendations.
Old February 24, 2010, 08:12 AM   #6
rbernie

Quote:
Is the rating 'automatic'? That is, is it something like "any shotgun barrel manufactured prior to 1940 is automatically not rated for steel shot", or words to that effect? Or is there more to it than that?
I think that it's just as you stated - that barrels that preceeded the advent of steel shot have thinner walls and cannot be used with non-toxic shot without damaging the barrel. I have an older (1950's era) Belgian that clearly shows damage internally from non-toxic shot.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:49 PM   #7
nutty ned

Bismuth
Old February 25, 2010, 03:50 PM   #8
wildfowl4444

The problem is with the hardness of the shot. Steel is harder than lead.

Bismuth is soft, like lead. MOST Hevi-shot is hard like steel. Hevi-shot Classic Doubles is soft like Bismuth/lead. Kent Tungten Matrix is also soft like lead, but Tungsten Iron is hard like steel.

Confused yet? I know I am..........

Anyhow, look for Bismuth, Hevi-shot CLASSIC DOUBLES, or Kent Tungsten matrix.