The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 19, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1
sneaky pete

A question about Parallax

old Sneaky here:I know something about how Parallax works alogning the crosshairs with a focal plane and that with Objective Adjustable scopes you can "Fine tune" out the Parallax by adjusting the objective lense hen when you move your eye back & forth across the eyepiece your crosshairs don't move and with most other rifle scopes the factory sets the parallax out @ 100yds. Now comes my particular situation--I just mounted a Weaver4X28 Classic Handgun scope on a CMP Scout Mount on my M1 Garand and was informed by Weaver that the parallas is set @ 50 yds. The eye relief is about 12" and I plan to use this set-up for hunting Ferral Hogs in Florida where I expect my average shot will be in the 100>150 yd. range. Now the Question--What is the 50 yd parallax setting going to do to my Point of Aim?? Do I need to be worried about it with he long eye relief?? I'd appreciate any information about thios situation. THANX--SNEAKY
Old May 19, 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
rantingredneck

To 100-150 yds I doubt you're gonna notice any affect on game. You're still going to be well within the vitals with the parallax error. I like shotgun scopes on my muzzleloaders and have used several over the years with parallax settings from 50-75 yds from the factory. I've taken deer out to 200 yds with them with no misses I could attribute to the optics .......

Have fun on the hunt!

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old May 20, 2009, 08:12 AM   #3
rantingredneck

Having re-read this after some much needed sleep I see that you are asking about the extended eye relief and paralax setting combined.........

I haven't used many handgun scopes, but the few that I have seemed to be very particular about where your eye had to be in relation to the center of the scope to be able to see anything. They kinda go black on you if you don't have them just right. Meaning in your case that if your cheek weld on the stock is a bit off, creating a parallax issue, you'll have other, bigger issues to deal with. You won't be able to see through the scope at all.

Again, I doubt you are going to have a problem to 100-150 yds.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old May 20, 2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Scorch

Parallax is the visual displacement of light as it travels through lenses. Kind of like standing above the water looking at a fish that is under water, it is not where it appears to be. In the case of scopes, it has to due with the target's true location and its apparent location when you look through the scope. Handgun scopes are set to be "parallax free" at 50 yds, i.e. show the true location of the target at 50 yds, any distance shorter or farther than that will have some deviation. Leupold also makes EER rifle scopes that are set to be parallax-free at 100 yds, if this is a great concern to you. But for shooting animals, I think it will make absolutely no practical difference.