The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 10, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
ruchik

Carrying Beretta Elite II cocked

So I have a Beretta Elite II, and I love the thing to death. I can also shoot it fairly well in SA. The problem is, I have difficulty shooting it in DA. Carrying the gun decocked would be a problem for me because I would not be able to get the first shot in with any semblance of efficiency or accuracy. Besides the obvious flaws such as the gun can be taken away and used, might pull the trigger inadvertently, is it unsafe to carry a Beretta cocked, in SA? I would think not, due to the firing pin safety, but I would rather ask more experienced people first. If there is a mod for me to be able to carry the Elite cocked in SA and locked, however, I'd love to hear it too.
Old January 10, 2009, 12:54 PM   #2
LightningJoe

Er, don't carry a DA gun cocked and unlocked. Packing Glock is bad enough. Cocking your DA automatic and walking around like that makes Plaxico look reasonable and discerning.

If the DA trigger pull makes you shoot randomly, maybe the 1911 platform would be a better choice for you.
Old January 10, 2009, 01:49 PM   #3
haymaker

DO NOT CARRY ANY GUN COCKED WITH THE SAFETY OFF! Glocks are safe because of the passive trigger safety. DA revolvers are safe because of the long hard trigger pull. Carrying a DA/SA auto cocked is like carrying a cocked revolver. VERY BAD IDEA!

If you're having trouble shooting the first shot DA you have some options. Practice, practice, practice. Dry fire the hell out of that Beretta until you can handle the DA trigger.

Get a different gun. As LightningJoe suggested, a 1911 can be carried cocked with safety on. Get a Glock, XD, or M&P

Try a different DA/SA auto. I have a Ruger P90 and a Beretta 92. The Ruger has a better DA trigger. (at least mine does)

I think what you really need to do is PRACTICE.
Old January 10, 2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Naterstein

IIRC the Elite has about a 5 or 6 lbs SA pull? I couldnt carry my Beretta 92 around like that. I would suggest more DA practice. I certainly have some issues with single handed shots, but both hands I am decent enuff with the 1st DA shot.
Old January 25, 2009, 12:43 PM   #5
bullzyeeee

PRACTICE< PRACTICE< PRACTICE or get a Ruger mine has a light DA pull to it