The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Doc Intrepid

Benelli chokes versus Remington chokes

Gentlemen and Ladies, apologies in advance if this question has been frequently asked - I could not locate an answer with a search.

I recently traded in a Remington 1100 on a Benelli M2 tactical shotgun.

I was able to shoot rifled slugs through Remington barrel that had a #4 - Improved Cylinder choke, without any apparent damage to the choke. In fact, the Owners Manual specifically states that the Remington 1100 offers superior accuracy when running slugs through the #4 choke.

The Benelli came with #1 Full, #3 Modified, and #4 Improved Cylinder chokes. But the FAQ on the website cautions that slugs should only be fired through the #5 Open Cylinder choke.

I've not yet been able to locate a Benelli #5 choke, and hence would like to ask any who are more experienced with Benelli's the following questions:

Why is it that Remington advises firing slugs through #4 Improved Cylinder chokes but Benelli only recommends running slugs through #5 Open Cylinder chokes? Is there that much difference between Remington and Benelli chokes?

Has anyone with more Benelli experience fired slugs through the #4 choke, and if so, was there any significant variation in accuracy between using the #4 versus the #5 Benelli chokes?

Thanks in advance for responses.

Doc
Old February 10, 2013, 06:32 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Check Briley, they will have your choke
Old February 11, 2013, 07:02 PM   #3
BigJimP

No, I don't fire slugs thru any of my shotguns...

......but if that's what Benelli recommended.../ not following their recommendations is probably not your smartest choice !

Their recommendation may be performance related ...or it may vary with the type of slug you elect to shoot - I don't know. But if they're telling you they recommend a Cyclinder choke...then I'd buy one since the gun does not come with a Cyclinder choke ( Only an Imp Cyc, Mod and Full )...

or at least check with your local dealer.../ IC might be ok ---or it might not / and you don't want to ruin a barrel finding out.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:12 AM   #4
Doc Intrepid

Thanks... I'm currently searching for a Benelli Crio Cylinder choke now. (#5)

(Briley didn't have one.)

I was just puzzled by Remington recommending Improved Cylinder chokes and Benelli recommending Cylinder chokes for the exact same ammunition. It seemed odd.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:24 AM   #5
idek

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but shotgun barrel diameters are not nearly as uniform from brand to brand as rifle barrels are. Perhaps if the barrel diameters are different, the recommended chokes will also be different.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:21 AM   #6
jmr40

If using old school soft lead rifled slugs I don't see how it could possibly hurt anything. They are designed to expand at the base to fit the barrel and are perfectly safe in even full choked barrels. You will probably see better accuracy with the more open choke, but it can't hurt anything.

The newer sabot slugs might be a different story. These are designed to be fired in fully rifled barrels and might cause problem in traditional barrels choked wrong.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:26 AM   #7
BigJimP

Briley has them on the website ...and it says they're in stock ...??
Old February 12, 2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

I would follow Benelli's advice unless somone knows why you need not. One possible reason can be the size of the thread and th number of threads cut in the barrel or a characteristic of the barrel's metal. For some reason Benelli may be concerned that the greater shear force generaed by a slug passing though a chome may damage the threads cut in the barrel. I suggest contacting Benelli. It may be difficult to get an answer from them, but the good folks at Briley may know the answer.