The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 19, 2013, 08:00 PM   #1
nocturnal

I need some SAA clone, pre-buyer advice here! To +p? Or not to +p? 38long/38spl

Hey guys, the bug has bitten me!

It is time for a new gun, and I want to go for a nice single action revolver...here's the deal...

I have been doing some research and I have found that there are a lot of, for lack of a better term, similarities between Uberti, Cimarron, and Beretta's line-ups of single action revolvers.

Now, at the local gun store there is a beauty of a gun, a "Stoeger Stallion" with the birdshead gripframe, beautiful case-coloring, bluing, and 3 1/2inch barrel. It feels great in the hands!
Now, If my findings are correct, this guy is about 6-7 ounces lighter, and 7/8th's to scale of the average "normal, regular-sized SAA clones."

So, this is like the Cimarron Lightning, the Uberti Stallion, the Some-other maker's Model "P" Jr., and the other 20% scaled down guns...correct? (I believe they are even considered a 22 caliber frame)

The drawback, as I see it; is that this gun is chambered for 38long/38spl as written on the barrel...however, I have been learning how to reload (Thanks to a fellow TFL-er!)
And I really want to keep things simple and a single caliber would be best for a just-starting-out reloader like myself.
(I plan to start collecting reloading equipment, and so far I only load 38spl for my j-frame...I have thousands of 38spl brass already)

I would prefer to find a birdshead-gripped gun, but in the 357 mag loading, that way I could ramp up some hotter +p 38spl's.

Now for the question after the intro and explanation:
Can I shoot 38spl +P loadings in this gun?

I know reloading is similar for both 357/38spl, but if for nothing else only having to collect one caliber of brass would be nice.
I would really like to load some +p's for this gun however; seeing the "38long/38spl" on the barrel has me second guessing the safeness of powering up the 38spl for this particular 7/8th's scale gun.

I just want simplicity of reloading, so is it safe to shoot +p's out of the smaller framed SAA clones?
Old January 19, 2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Bob Wright

Not too sure about Barretta, but Stoeger, Cimarron, and Uberti are all the same, made by Uberti, who is owned by Barretta. So, as far as choosing is concerned, take you pick for what suits you best.

As to +P in the little Stallion, I wouldn't recommend it. It won't blow up in your face, but it sure batters the gun.

If you want .357 Magnum strength, stick with the larger frame, which is still pretty handy in size.

And one of the advantages of +P is that you get near-Magnum performance with a shorter case for easier extraction

Bob Wright
Old January 19, 2013, 08:49 PM   #3
nocturnal

Thank you very much Bob!

Exactly the info I was looking for, I will pass on the scaled-down frame and go for something intended for 357 mag levels.

It's strange that even the SAA clones are blown up and have to be back-ordered, I have not had as much success as I expected ordering with Uberti, Beretta, or Cimarron! That's why I was preparing to jump on the local gun store option if it checked out...
I had one fella who said he could back-order one of the Cimarron Thunderers, but again choices, choices!

I'm leaning towards the Beretta Stampede Marshal because that is the only SAA clone I know of with the transfer-bar safety AND the 4-click, traditional operation...
That 6-up carry is a nice option to have!

I will admit to being strongly influenced by someone on here who shared a picture of a Beretta Stampede Marshal, I took the liberty of saving it for future reference...
Old January 19, 2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Bob Wright

nocturnal,

I am an avid Ruger SA fan, and most of my single actions are Rugers. Today I was firing a Ruger and Uberti Flat Top Target alternately and was impressed by how petite the Uberti felt. The Ruger is a big, strong, stout revolver to be sure, but for carry and handiness the Uberti would have a slight edge, and with the Berretta you'd have that with the six-shot capacity.

I do carry a Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special for everyday use, but mine is on the older .357 Magnum three-screw frame. It's only a five shot proposition, but with my .44 Special, double taps are somewhat redundant, anyway.

Bob Wright
Old January 19, 2013, 09:28 PM   #5
nocturnal

Well Bob, I was at the local gun store and I held a New Model Blackhawk and also the Stallion with a birdshead grip.

It's hard to argue with the hands sir!
I went in there planning to buy the NM Blackhawk (for $380, seemed like a fair price) but the grip seemed awkward...I wish it felt better. As a beginner reloader I see LOTS of fun with the massive Blackhawk and it sure felt like a tank! I think it could double as a hammer!

I wanted it, but the grip felt not-quite right...much to my dismay

I'm going to be finding a birdshead gripped gun, Does Ruger make one by any chance?
You also have a lot to answer for, if I'm not mistaken...you have posted many pictures of beautiful Ruger Vaqueros and Blackhawks. And by beautiful, I mean case-colored, blued, with wood grips.
You have some envious pieces...
Old January 19, 2013, 09:46 PM   #6
stepmac

A .38? Do what everybody else does. Buy a 357 and shoot .38's in it. Which pistol? I don't know how good Ruger's are today, but I used to tell people to go Ruger first. the Pieta? Uberti? I don't know, but I do know that Pi'seta are looking pretty good. A Colt? It'll cost you twice as much, but you know what? You'll like the Colt better. I suggest that you save up and buy a Colt SAA in 357. You'll love the gun and carry it for the remander of your years and after not to long a time the diff in money won't make any diff to you.
Old January 20, 2013, 03:05 PM   #7
Bob Wright

Ruger has indeed made birdshead gripped Vaqueros, not sure exactly what they offer now. You might find their web sight and check itn out.

Whle a Colt is, well......., a Colt, they have yet to offer a birdshead gripped revovler. And certainly there is pride of ownership of a Colt, and it is a work of craftsmanship, when it comes to bullets on target, it is very hard to tell the difference between Ruger, Colt, and Uberti.

As long as you stay within these lines, find the gun that suits your hand the best.

Bob Wright
Old January 22, 2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Shotgun693

I once owned a Stoeger, Remington '75 clone. I had trouble with the gun seizing up. I tried using it in a Cowboy Action Shoot and twice it froze up and I couldn't finish the stage. Stoeger wouldn't return my calls and refused to honor the warranty. Luckily the shop where I bought it made good with SAA clone.
I can't recommend any Stoeger product because if yours fails you might get treated as I was.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:15 AM   #9
EdInk

You can get a birdshead gripped Ruger NMV. IIRC, you can even buy just the grip frame.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Jim March

Nocturnal,

The "smaller scale model" SAAs in 38Spl are meant for cowboy action shooting for use by ladies with smaller hands and/or kids. The intended role calls for very mild ammo. I would shoot standard-pressure 38 in it no sweat but serious +P loads...yeah, no. Bad idea.

Mind you, there are now a few very good 38Spl defense loads if you needed to press it into that service.

As to Italian vs. Ruger:

The Rugers hold up better than any of the italian guns. The Stampede is an Uberti with a transfer bar safety on it and the Beretta nameplate; it is often claimed to be weaker than the equivalent no-safety Uberti variants.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:59 PM   #11
nocturnal

Quote: EdInk "You can get a birdshead gripped Ruger NMV. IIRC, you can even buy just the grip frame."

Yes, I found one on gunbroker...check out my other thread concerning it: http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...06#post5384106

Jim March:
I DO like the finish on the Berettas, but I also like the Cimarron Thunderer, and I don't think I will worry too much about the 5 versus 6 round safety of carry. If I find a good deal, I will probably jump on it. 6 rounds would just be a bonus!

Cimarron-out of stock
Ubertti-out of stock
Berettaout of stock

Guess there are not too many options right now, so I've been stopping by gunbroker and armslist every so often.
Still have not had what I wanted pop up

I am still searching for a 357 with a birdshead grip frame...at this point I don't really see too many differences other than there is Ruger, and then there is everything else

(That might explain why I just might buy the Ruger birdshead grip frame even though I don't have a Ruger yet)
Old January 24, 2013, 11:01 PM   #12
Shotgun693

Quote:
but Stoeger, Cimarron, and Uberti are all the same, made by Uberti,
The last Cimarron I bought was a Pietta.
Old January 25, 2013, 12:54 AM   #13
gak

Shotgun693 said:
(Responding to: "but Stoeger, Cimarron, and Uberti are all the same, made by Uberti") "The last Cimarron I bought was a Pietta."

It's true, a year or two ago Cimarron also started carrying some versions of it's normally (past) Uberti manufactured line made by Pietta. So, it's not automatic anymore that what you'll get is a Uberti. For awhile, Cimarron was divulging which in its specification pages on particular models. I don't know if they're still doing that.