The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 6, 2011, 04:13 PM   #1
lamarw

Remington 870 Memories - Past & Future

Back in the early 70's at Ft. Riley Kansas another Captian and I purchased an 870 from a soldier needing some quick cash. We paid him what he ask for and did not quibble. I seem to recall we paid him $80 for the gun. It was such a sweet gun, and both of us loved it. The problem was we were offered twice the amount we paid for it from another Captain a couple of week later. Therefore; neither of us were able to keep the gun.

To this day, I can recall how well the gun felt and performed. Today, I ended up with an (I think new) 870 Express Magnum. I could not pass up paying another pittance ($200) for the gun. It still has the hang tag on it, but does not have the box or papers. It appears to have some very slight rack marks but otherwise looks new. This one will not be sold any time soon. I hope to develop some nice future memories with this one.
Old June 6, 2011, 04:42 PM   #2
BigJimP

Its good to have memories ...and make some new ones...hope you get to take the gun out this weekend...
Old June 6, 2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I have 870 memories stretching back 50 years, Lamar. Made some more last Sunday.

Enjoy...
Old June 7, 2011, 07:58 AM   #4
twobit

My favorite one is the one I grew up on (a 20 ga. made about 1952).
I still have it and always will.
Old June 11, 2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Rob62

Hmmmm 870 memories.

My first regulation round of Trap - never did get good enough to break 25 but plenty of 23's and a few 24's. First gun to use Duck hunting. First shotgun to take Deer hunting. First shotgun to spend any $$ on getting accessories for it. The only model shotgun currently owned by me.

Here is a pic of my most "tricked out" model. She's a definite keeper.

Old June 12, 2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Sgt.Fathead

Bittersweet

Years ago, though not too long ago, my first private firearm purchase was an 870 Express Synthetic Magnum with a rifled deer barrel on it. It was inexpensive, well made and did what it was supposed to do (I never did get a deer in PA). In short order, I had acquired two more 870s given to me by family friends with no more use for them; one was an old beater that hadn't been cared for a jot and the other was a gorgeous Wingmaster with beautiful wood, well cared for and sleek.

At the time, my father-in-law wished for a shotgun and I gave him that Wingmaster. I'm more of a black gun combat shooter type, having learned about guns and their use in the service, and I bought myself a new 870 Express Synthetic Magnum with the short barrel, factory mag extension and rifle sights from an online dealer. Right out of the box it gave me trouble and Remington Customer Service gave me even more. Having just had a great experience with both Mossberg and Ruger, I angrily swore off Rems and sold ALL I had of their arms. It turns out there was a huge lor of these guns from the factory with the same problem.

I understand the lore, lure and mystique of the 870! I bought one as that was the most highly recommended pump gun out there. I'd used compromised disconnect 870s in The Corps and that first one was flawless! The fella I sold it to still has it, jazzed up with rails and a new barrel and side saddles and lights and such, as an HD gun.

Good Luck, Good Shooting! Geez, I hope I haven't dropped a downer note in the glory of the 870 as my personal experience is not that of most. Go Mossberg! Ha!