The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 3, 2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Big Tom

Need help finding shotgun barrels

Hi guys I was looking to make my 20 gauge Maverick my home defense gun but right now its still outfitted with its long barrel. I was looking to get an 18" barrel. But I cant find one anywhere. Can someone tell me of a place in my area or online? I live in Bear, DE btw.
Old July 3, 2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Couzin

The Mossberg 500 barrels are the same - here are some from Brownells http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=1...rg-500-Barrels, Midway and others have them as well. The Cabela's stores have them on the shelf but the nearest to you will be Hamburg, PA. Look at GunsAmerica and GunBroker - sometimes there are used ones and new ones for sale. Course - you can always just lob the barrel off to a legal length and save the money and time.
Old July 3, 2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Big Tom

ty 4 the info.
Old July 3, 2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Couzin

Opps! I did not see you were looking for 20 guage. No idea if there is a security barrel made for that one.
Old July 6, 2010, 09:41 AM   #5
beardking

As this topic is in line with my question I figured I'd just add to it. How difficult is it to switch these barrels out. Basically I'm looking at getting a Maverick soon myself and it comes with the 26" barrel, but I was considering buying the 18 1/2" barrel to swap onto it when I'm not hunting with it.
Old July 6, 2010, 12:08 PM   #6
oletymer

The shortest barrels I have seen for Mossberg 20 ga. is 24". The shorter barrels only seem to be available for 12 ga.
Old July 6, 2010, 07:13 PM   #7
Couzin

Swapping the barrel just involves, locking back the breech and making sure the chamber and magazine are empty, undoing the magazine cap, sliding off the forearm, slide out the old barrel, insert new barrel, put on forearm, and tighten magazine cap.