The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 16, 2009, 10:09 PM   #1
reloader28

primer test

i've only been a member a few days and wrote about a little test i did on primers . i think i put it in the discussions part since i wasnt talking about reloading just my results for anyone interestid in looking , but the next day i didnt have any record of it. did i get deleted or do something wrong or just dream the whole thing?? it was late that nite.
Old October 17, 2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Bud Helms

reloader28,

Your thread got deleted for not meeting Jr High School writing standards. Run-on sentences and not a capital latter in the whole post, just like the one you posted here.

We consider posts written like text messages unsuitable for posting on TFL. We delete them on sight.

This policy seems picky to some, but we try to maintain higher standards than the rest. If you need a copy of that post, I can PM it to you.
Old October 17, 2009, 09:25 AM   #3
reloader28

Got it. Did not realize you could not write like a text message because I had seen some of it everywhere in these forums. I type 1 word a minute, I was trying to be helpful and save time. I am not a computer geek or a teacher and it took me an hour to type that so I wont type it again, but now I know. By the way , your spelling is wrong too. Ha
Old October 17, 2009, 09:53 AM   #4
reloader28

I was curious as to why none of my others were deleted?
Old October 17, 2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Bud Helms

We catch 'em as we find 'em. I edited one of yours this morning instead of deleting it, but we don't have time to do that for every post we see that needs it.

We all misspell, but we expect an effort.

You are welcome to point out my misspellings. I do it as often as anyone.
Old October 17, 2009, 12:03 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Reloader,

I'd suggest getting a typing tutor program that will help teach you how to touchtype.

I taught myself to type when I was a kid using my Grandmother's old manual and a set of records from the 1950s.

Best danged thing I ever did. I was a history major in college, and I was one of a relative few number of my classmates who could actually type, and we did a lot of papers. I made a LOT of money typing for my friends. I can now type between 70 and 100 words a minute, depending on my hands are feeling (arthritis).

It can be a little frustrating at first, but being able to type in today's online world is a very useful skill.

Even if you only get up to 25 words a minute you'll find it to be a complete and total revelation.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 17, 2009, 03:29 PM   #7
reloader28

Thanks guy's. No offence but if I have to choose between typing classes or minding my own in the reloading room, I think I'll stay in the reloading room.
Old October 18, 2009, 12:39 AM   #8
Bud Helms

Quote:
Thanks guy's. No offence but if I have to choose between typing classes or minding my own in the reloading room, I think I'll stay in the reloading room.
Well, I think you are making this into a false choice. Mike just gave you an idea, but it's certainly just a suggestion. How many people here do you think have taken a typing course? A low percentage, I'd wager. Certainly not me. All we ask is that you use the grammar and punctuation you learned in the 8th grade out of regard for the membership who read your posts. Breaking a large paragraph into sentences and using capital letters where they belong and periods at the end of a sentence will probably get you through.

It's not asking much.

I notice one place where you used "we're" for "we are". If you know how and why to do that, I suspect you can write better than we've seen. All you need to do is take the time do it. It is the only method of communication available on a chat board.

There is naturally a threshold to make yourself understood if you want meaningful responses. And making yourself understood is your responsibility, not the reader.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:42 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I didn't say take a class, I said a typing tutor program, as in computer program.

A google search turns up a LOT of viable, cheap, or even free, options.

http://www.google.com/search?q=learn...ient=firefox-a

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 18, 2009, 10:44 AM   #10
reloader28

Hey sorry guys I didnt mean for that to sound snotty, I was just kinda joking. I dont want no enemies here. Other places maybe but not here.