The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 1999, 02:15 PM   #1
Bubba

Ok.. The Dillon 550b is setup.. Time to start looking at the componets. I am shooting .45acp for IDPA and bowling pin. I shoot an average of 300 rounds a week. I don't really want to shoot cast lead. I would rather stay with jacketed. I need to look for a supplier who will sell some small qtys of differnt shapes and weights. One of my .45s is finiky in what it eats and I will do a number of test loads before locking stuff down. Then I will buy in 2000-5000 lots to get a price break.

Who are some good suppliers that might meet these requirements? URLs would be a big plus.

Cheers,

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
Old June 1, 1999, 03:57 PM   #2
Abe Normal

Try Wideners, I just received in a bunch of 185gr swc fmj impact pulled bullets that are very nice and the price was quite reasonable at $59 / 1000 delivered. All I had to do was to tumble them to clean a small amount of tar sealent off and there ready to go.
They also have IMI 45acp match 230gr fmj $330 / 4000 case lot and they have a special on Master Match 230gr fmj $162 / 2000 in a military ammo can delivered.

Look them up at www.wideners.com
Abe Normal
Old June 1, 1999, 11:07 PM   #3
Grayfox

Try Midway, they sell in quanities of 100 up to full cases of about 2500. Buy 100 and if you like them go back for larger amounts.
BTW: My Gold Cup is absolutely in love with the Remington 185gr JSWC match bullet they sell.

www.midwayusa.com
Old June 2, 1999, 05:06 AM   #4
blades67

Bubba - I would go to my local gun store and buy two or three different styles in two or three different weights each to find the one the pistol liked best, then try mail order. You will be able to buy at least two or three more boxes of 100 count bullets with what you would spend on shipping and handling for the initial small orders, and it will support the shop that you might buy your next gun at.

~Blades~
Old June 2, 1999, 09:57 AM   #5
Bubba

Blades,

I would love to support my local shops. But the two I use are clueless about reloading. They asked ME what to order. DUH. It's just not something they have any experience with.

Abe and Greyfox, Thanks. this is what I was looking for. I also know Georgia Arms has supplied, but my Kimber really doesn't like the shape of the FMJ they use.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper
Old June 2, 1999, 10:22 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Bubba, One thing to consider when ordering by mail is the postage, especially for bullets. Midway ships "free" (read 'postage is included in price'), but most others will charge. However, Midway's prices are sometimes higher than the others such as Widener,s, Natchez (my favorite), Graf & Sons, etc. So be sure to take this into account.
Old June 2, 1999, 10:18 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Bubba: Go to McBride's Guns (30th & San Gabriel/Lamar) and talk to Oliver...

IMNSH opinion, if the mags are right, and the pistol is properly throated and polished, it should feed anything, damned near including empty cases.

Did you go to the Keilman auction?

Regards, Art
Old June 3, 1999, 11:01 AM   #8
Bubba

Almost Art.. Went to Mark at McBrides...grin He is the one that did the throat job on it. He had it feeding almost everything; including empty cases. Said there were some problems with the "flying ash trays" I believe. Then I tried the Georgia Arms stuff that I had and got nose first failures about every 6 shots. Switching to the S&B, I have had less than a half a dozen problems in over 1500 rnds.

So, I just want to be careful as I start reloading. I don't want to buy 5000 rnds of something that won't feed. grin.

Mal, thanks for the tip on Naches and Graf & sons.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper