The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 24, 2002, 04:33 PM   #1
KPS

Help Me ID This Six-Shooter

My father just gave me a six-shooter to have repaired.He bought it from a farmer when he was 19 years old which was about 40 years ago.On the left side of the barrel it says HY Hunter INC. Firearms MFG. CO Hollywood, California Made in Western Germany On the right side of the barrel is written:Frontier Six-Shooter Model .22 S.L.LR. Caliber.It's certainly not in collector condition because my father and his brothers would use it quite a bit to shoot behind their barn as kids.I'm guessing it might be one of the Sears/Roebuck or Montgomery Ward guns?I'm just wondering if someone knows more about this gun?
Old June 24, 2002, 06:08 PM   #2
Jim V

It was sold by Hy Hunter, not Sears or Monkey Wards. Back before the GCA of '68. I think they were made by Styer but that is just a hazy thought.
Old June 24, 2002, 07:26 PM   #3
KPS

I just took it apart and found that the problem was the hammer spring was disconnected.I put it back and it seems to function just fine.Does anyone know how these things shoot?I'm gonna get a box of ammo and test it out tomorrow to make sure it functions fine before I give it back to my dad.The plastic stag grips are also cracked a little and wondered if the AJAX grips would fit on it.
Old June 24, 2002, 07:31 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Or Sauer.

Sam
Old June 26, 2002, 08:59 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Sam's got it. They were built by J.P. Sauer & Sons. This company was bought out by Sig (they're the Sauer in Sig Sauer).
these were an inexpensive single action and were sold under several names. There was both a large frame and a small frame version. The large frame version fired the usual centerfire single action calibers and the small frame variant fired .22lr or .38 Spec centerfire cartridges
I grew up shooting one also. It's sitting in the safe now.
Old June 26, 2002, 11:11 AM   #6
BigG

I think SIG (Swiss Co.) made a deal with Sauer (German Co.) because Switzerland has something against exporting weapons or some such while Germany does not.

It may be that SIG eventually bought out Sauer, too?? But I think the stiffness of Swiss law or regulation was the original reason.

Sauer made a real nice bolt rifle, too.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 28, 2002, 10:04 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Big G, You're correct in that Sig bought Sauer. They bought the firm due to Switzerland's export laws as you've stated. Sig has bought several companies over the years with the same intent.