The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 18, 2011, 10:22 PM   #1
b5.5dan

10/22 Bipod Question

Hello all!

I (like so many others ) have a 10/22 with the basic wooden stock and barrel band. I'm wondering if the Harris (and other knock-offs) that connect to a sling swivel will mate up with the bolt hole in the barrel band? I would like to have a bipod (just because), but am not sure how to go about it. Also, I don't want to spend too much money (if it would take any) to change this stock, since Santa (i.e. Me ) is supposed to be bringing a new barrel and stock.

Any help you gents could give me would be very much appreciated!
Old October 18, 2011, 10:53 PM   #2
jdillon

I installed a swivel stud in the stock behind the barrel band on my 10/22. Not only can you attach a Harris bipod to it you can also attach a sling if a stud is mounted in the rear. The rear stud can also be used to mount a mono pod for prone shooting. the studs are inexpensive and easy to install.
Old October 18, 2011, 11:04 PM   #3
b5.5dan

Thank you very much! Is that like the swivel studs that they sell in the gun stuff isle at Wal-Mart?
Old October 19, 2011, 12:19 AM   #4
mrawesome22

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/190...et-1-1-4-black
Old October 19, 2011, 02:02 PM   #5
raceroch

Quote:
"Thank you very much! Is that like the swivel studs that they sell in the gun stuff isle at Wal-Mart? "
yes.
Old October 19, 2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Pahoo

Use the machine screw at the forend !!!

Quote:
Thank you very much! Is that like the swivel studs that they sell in the gun stuff isle at Wal-Mart?
Yes and I would suggest using the machine screw type at the forend as opposed to the woodscrew type. The woodscrew type will be fine for the buttstock. If you do a historical search in here, you will see that some folks have had problems using the woodscrew type at the forend and then stressing them with the Bi-Pod clamp. Hate to have you find this out, the hard way. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 19, 2011, 03:02 PM   #7
b5.5dan

Thanks guys! I got an Uncle Mike's swivel set complete with the sling "thingy". They don't look like wood screws. They look purpose-built. I hope they do the trick!

These:
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/190...et-1-1-4-black

Edit:
I just posted a link that someone here posted... It's been way too long a day...

Last edited by b5.5dan; October 19, 2011 at 04:23 PM.