The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 3, 2007, 07:28 PM   #1
tekarra

410 gauge AR 15

Surfing the net yesterday and found a 410 gauge shotgun based on the AR15. It is manufactured in Turkey by Safir Arms. The web site is www.safirarms.com.

Has anyone seen one?
Old October 5, 2007, 07:25 PM   #2
kozak6

I don't believe it can be imported since it's not considered a sporting shotgun.
Old February 24, 2009, 07:54 PM   #3
6x6pinz

rules have changed and they are here. I picked mine up last week and love it. I even saw one at the crossroads gun show on the 20th of feb.
Old February 24, 2009, 08:31 PM   #4
chris in va

That's the first I've heard of that. Thought the Saiga was the only thing like that.

I don't know how they can claim "700m/s" from a 410 though. That's some hot ammo!
Old February 24, 2009, 08:38 PM   #5
goodspeed(TPF)

They want a THOUSAND DOLLARS for one. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH...

Click to view
ATI / T14 AR15 STYLE .410 SHOTGUN
Bid!

Show description

Current Bid $895.00 No Reserve! Started at $895.00

for $995.00

Quantity 1 # of bids 1 Bid History
Time left 1 Days, 2 Hours +
15 minute rule Location LEVITTOWN, PA 19054
BUCKS County
Started 2/18/2009 10:52:13 PM ET (This is a 7 day auction)
Ends On or After 2/25/2009 10:52:13 PM ET (Official Auction Time)
Seller 21polar A+(11)
View the feedback of this seller | View seller's other auctions | Ask seller a question
High bidder spartan360 A+(6)
add this auction to your watch list Add this listing to your watch list
mail auction to a friend Mail this listing to a friend
Payment Methods Money Order / Certified Check, Personal Check, Visa / MasterCard, Discover, See Item Description
Sales Tax Seller did not specify whether or not sales tax will be collected
Shipping Buyer pays fixed amount of $25.00 for shipping, No International Shipments, See Item Description
Inspection Period / Return Policy Three Days from the date the item is received, including the cost of shipping
Item Condition Factory New
Seller Tools Use our Tools for Sellers page to modify this listing, add to the description, close this auction, relist this item, submit feedback, and otherwise manage your listings.
Useful links: End this Auction | Problem with a Buyer? | Non Paying Bidder Report
The seller of this item assumes all responsibility for this listing. You must contact the seller to resolve any questions or concerns before placing a bid. Payment must be made U.S. dollars ($) unless otherwise stated in the listing. Firearms may only be shipped to a licensed dealer (FFL Holder). Some listed items may not be legal in every state. Click here for details on how to complete your purchase within the law.

Description for Item # 123280777

SAFIR T14 410 SHOTGUN, IMPORTED BY ATI,VERY UNUSUAL AR15 STYLE,HARD TO FIND... 2 6ROUND MAGS...please ask any questions before bidding...Thanks

Pictures for Item # 123280777
1:ATI / T14 AR15 STYLE .410 SHOTGUN

2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:

Hahahahahahaahahahaha......

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 24, 2009, 11:22 PM   #6
roy reali

What!!!

What in the heck would you use a 410 gauge shotgun for? Dangerous dragonflies, marauding moths, overly-aggressive hummingbirds? One more thing, where would you find ammo for a 410 gauge?
Old February 24, 2009, 11:26 PM   #7
roklok

OK, I have to ask.................what does BWA mean? I know what HAHAHAHAHAHA is, but what is BWAHAHAHAHAHA ? Am I missing something?
Old February 24, 2009, 11:36 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

hahahaha is a chuckle...
bwhahahaha
Kinda pronounced boo-wahhh-hahaha... which is a good deep down belly laugh with a little evil tinge to it
Brent
Old February 25, 2009, 12:13 AM   #9
zippy13

This thing seems useless as a shotgun: perhaps there are jurisdictions where semi-auto rifles are banned, but semi-auto shotguns are OK. Does it accept a standard 5.56mm upper assembly with little, or no modifications?
Old February 25, 2009, 04:15 AM   #10
bigghoss

Quote:
bwhahahaha
Kinda pronounced boo-wahhh-hahaha
sometimes mua or mwa is substituted for bwa

it usually signifies an evil laugh

muahahahaha *puff of smoke and gone*
Old February 25, 2009, 06:16 AM   #11
darkgael

Quote:
700m/s" from a 410 though.
Me, neither. The highest velocity that I have seen published for .410 ammo is for slugs at 1830 fps. 700m/s is over 2100 fps. Whose ammo is that?
The first thing that struck me, though, was cost of feeding the little beast. .410 ammo is not cheap. Those Winchester slugs at 1830 fps are a buck a piece. Shotshells for the .410 are generally as expensive 12 ga. or even a bit more expensive.
Might be fun, though, to see those little hulls popping out of that gun.
Pete
Old February 25, 2009, 07:34 AM   #12
lipadj46

If they came out with a 12 gauge that would be onto something. But in .410 I would rather have a real AR and I will keep my Saiga 12.
Old February 25, 2009, 07:33 PM   #13
colostomyclown

11 410's in an enclosed space within 10-15 feet would be pretty effective nonetheless....

but more of a luxury rather than a necessity, especially with that kind of price tag
Old February 25, 2009, 08:26 PM   #14
6x6pinz

Since I have enough Saigas the next step would be the AR line.
a few of my saigas

plus the modded Saiga 20

and the Saiga 410 compared to the Safir T14
Old February 25, 2009, 10:38 PM   #15
publius

"What in the heck would you use a 410 gauge shotgun for? Dangerous dragonflies, marauding moths, overly-aggressive hummingbirds? One more thing, where would you find ammo for a 410 gauge?"

I rarely hunt doves or quail with anything other than my 11-48 .410. .410 CALIBER ammo is widely available.
Old February 25, 2009, 10:47 PM   #16
roy reali

re:publius

A .410 shotgun is very usefull. But a 410 gauge shotgun would be almost useless.
Old February 25, 2009, 11:33 PM   #17
FALPhil

When I first started hunting doves, which is a HUGE deal in many parts of the rural South, I went to an opening day hunt on a friend's farm. I drew a stand next to Old Man Cornwall.

Mr. Cornwall hunted with an old Winchester 412. The Model 412 was a scaled down version of the famous Winchester Model 12 in .410.

Being a kid, and new to shotgunning, I was loaded up with with my father's 12 gauge and 5 (count them) boxes of ammo. The legal limit for doves was 12 birds. But doves can fly at 60mph, and often do it in something more than a predictable path. They are not easy prey.

As Mr. Cornwall and I walked to our stands, I asked him a few questions.

"What gauge is that little shotgun, Mr. Cornwall?"

"It's a four-ten, son."

"You expect to hit anything with it?"

"I wouldn't be here with it if I didn't."

"Where's your ammo?"

"In my pocket."

"How much did you bring?"

"Twelve shells."

"Is that all??"

"Well, the limit is twelve birds, son."

At that point, I didn't want to make the man feel like a fool, so I shut up and walked over to my stand. That afternoon, I shot three and a half boxes of 12 gauge shells and my shoulder was sore. But those 87 shells earned me 10 birds.

As the sun started setting, we headed back to the farmhouse. We tallied up the birds, and I was surprised to see Mr. Cornwall had twelve birds. At this point, I realized that Mr. Cornwall must be something of a good shot. This time, because I didn't want to make myself feel like a fool, I didn't say anything.

Later on, I told my friend's father what I had witnessed. I can hear his reply to this day as if he had just repeated it moments ago. He said, "That's the only gun Old Man Cornwall owns. You should never doubt a man that only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Don't sell the .410 short. It is a very effective round in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

Last edited by FALPhil; February 26, 2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:48 AM   #18
darkgael

FalPhil: Thank you. That was a great story, well told. Reminded me of some of Bob Ruark's stuff or Corey Ford's Lower Forty stories.
Pete
Old February 26, 2009, 07:12 AM   #19
6x6pinz

You know these people who knock the 410 have not yet taken me up on an offer I made them. If the 410 won't hurt anything then let me take a couple of shots at them and prove to me once and for all that it will not hurt. They don't seem to be as willing with their actions and they are with their words.

I have hunted and will continue to hunt small game and javelina with my 410's. I do own larger shotguns but they are for different activities.
Old February 26, 2009, 08:51 AM   #20
roy reali

Apples and Oranges

You all know that there is a big difference between a .410 and a 410 gauge. If anyone here has a copy of Cartridges of the World, I challenge you to even find reference to 410 gauge ammo.
Old February 26, 2009, 11:12 AM   #21
goodspeed(TPF)

I think we all can agree on ".410" AND the fact that getting shot by one will most certainly ruin your day. Now how about that THOUSAND DOLLAR price tag? Any one else think it WAY to high?

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 26, 2009, 01:07 PM   #22
6x6pinz

$1k, not much different than any other specialty AR. Obviously I am prejudice though since I already have my T14. Having had a chance to shoot it I feel it is worth every penny. It looks good next to the Bennelli shotguns which cost even more.
Old February 26, 2009, 03:06 PM   #23
roy reali

re:6x6pinz

You say that you havehunted small game with a 410 gauge? How close did you have to get?
Old February 26, 2009, 03:41 PM   #24
KC9LDB

FALPhil, really cool story, my dad tells this one all the time.

When he was in the landscape business his building was 3 or so miles away from our house, in the late 70's it was normal to shoot at his building, now I probably wasn't even a thought yet when this happened but they (the other business owners in the plot of property) would have a turkey shoot. Winner gets a turkey, so everyone is out there with their shotguns blowing away at clay and anything else that goes airborne. Then the rifles came out and the match went to "Who can hit the target at the farthest distance?" So, the gunfire of 30-06's .308's, .223's brought Old Man McCracken out of his house on the hill across the highway. So he comes up and everyone says a nice hello and how are things going to him. And McCracken asks whats going on with all the guns and they said they are doing long distance target shooting for a turkey. My father asks if he would like to have a go and presents his Winchester 94 30-30 to him. McCracken replies, no thanks let me go and get my gun. So McCracken comes back in a few minutes with a case and that's it. He opens the case and everyone comes to find it is a basic M1 Garand with stock sights and what have you, a really basic one. He brings it up and sights on a coffee can 1/4 mile or so down range and just holds it up and stares down the barrel, everyone says "you cant shoot that with out a scope, your 60 years old!" He carefully loads one single round in the chamber, no full stripper clip or anything, just one round, and stands there for a few seconds and the barell is shaking all over and it stopped, i guess it felt like the world stopped, and all you heard was that M1 firing that round off and all you see is a coffee can exploding a 1/4 mile down range. He just simply put the gun back in the case, and as he was walking back to his house he said, "I would rather have my turkey cooked, could you guys do that for me?"

My dad tells it with a little more enthusiasm, it is a good one though!
Old February 26, 2009, 04:36 PM   #25
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Kl9, You fergit the part where he licks his thumb and shines the front site...
Good story...
Brent
Closed Thread