The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2006, 06:08 PM   #1
saintjb

Question For Turkey Hunters

I need some advice and some opinions on turkey calls. I want to get a glass pot call and a box call. Who makes a good call? I'm not looking for a Walmart special. I don't mind spending a few bucks for somethimg that will last and has a good reputation. I know this is a wide open question, but I respect your collective opinions. I have been hunting a long time, never for turkey, but I never fail to learn something new when I sign on to this forum.
Best,
JB
Old January 7, 2006, 08:44 PM   #2
thejeanmachine16

For starters I hunt deer, bear, and turkey. To me turkery is by far the most fun. I have a slate pot call from Cody(excelent brand) which prodouces a really good sound but more difficult to master than a box call. In my opion a slate call is easier to use then galss because you dont slip as much. My dad uses a box call and so do, It is a Lynch's and makes a great sound and easy to use. Also I higly recommend a mouth call, expessaly if you are hunting by yourself. Your hands can be on ur shotgun while u call in the bird with a mouth call. The tirck is to master your calling BEFORE you get into the feild. Also it doesnt matter how well you can call if you cant sit still because they have some of the kenest eyesight. Good luck and have fun, also get a decoy they help ALOT.
Old January 7, 2006, 08:50 PM   #3
thejeanmachine16

triple post (computer wasnt sending it i thought sorry)

Last edited by thejeanmachine16; January 7, 2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old January 7, 2006, 08:50 PM   #4
thejeanmachine16

Got'a Love turkey hunting

triple post (computer wasnt sending it i thought sorry)

Last edited by thejeanmachine16; January 7, 2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old January 7, 2006, 08:56 PM   #5
boltgun71

Turkey Calls

I personally use Lynch's and Quaker Boy box calls with great results. Workmanship and sound quility is superb with both brands. The jeanmachine has a good point with getting a mouth call too. Im not to good with them, but they come in handy especially when your in shooting position and the toms up close and you have to coax him around a bush or something to get that clear shot without too much movement and taking your hands off the shotgun. Hope this helps.
Old January 8, 2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Wingbone

I always wonder why nobody ever mentions the wingbone call anymore. I really enjoy making and customizing them (hence my handle), Ive even given them as gifts. I realize they are limited to certain sounds but dont you all carry more than one call anyway? Its very satifying to call in a bird with a call you made yourself.
Ken