The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 29, 1999, 01:53 PM   #1
JerryM

What caused my Springfield Champion slide to lock back with two rounds left in the magazine? It has only done this once and with factory magazine. The gun has about 400 rounds through it, so it is broken in. Thanks
Old June 29, 1999, 02:02 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Most common cause of "once in a while" lock back is the shooter's thumb inadvertently pushing up on the slide stop. There could also be a weak plunger spring or burrs somewhere, but I vote for the thumb.

Jim
Old June 29, 1999, 04:49 PM   #3
motorep

Jerry- is it with one specific magazine? You can check if it's a magazine problem by: take off the slide assembly and reinsert the slide stop. Put a round in a magazine and insert it into the gun,watching to see if it tips up the the slide stop. If it does, you can recontour the slide stop a little or not use that magazine. If it doesn't, move to action plan B- thumb.
Old June 30, 1999, 08:40 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jerry, seems like I answered this question somewhere else but: JFR, if it only happened once, it could be something as simple as you somehow touched it at just the right second. I don't think you have a mag problelm but you might give the inside portion of the slide stop a look for brass marks. It may have been hit by the bullet nose. More than likely you just need a detent cut into your slide stop. That's what I do as a matter of course when anyone asks to have an extended stop installed. and sometimes it's needed on the standard ones as well. Another area might be the inside of the plunger tube. If there is a burr or something that is causeing the plunger to stick the tube might need to be reamed. I'd say shoot it some more and keep an eye on the inner portion of the stop. George
Old July 1, 1999, 09:44 AM   #5
JerryM

Thanks All for your advice. I am going to take it and don't expect to have the problem in the future. Yes George you did answer this for me on Shooters. I don't remember why I didn't use the same name-kinda dumb I guess. Jerry