The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2014, 08:49 AM   #1
billycurl

storing primers and powder?

I hear people talking about buying powder and primers in bulk to save money. I know we all want to save money and get the most for the least. But my question is if I buy this much powder is their a shelf life to it. Several jugs of powder and several thousand primers would last me a pretty good while. I've just started reloading for hunting and a little target shooting but not a lot. A friend of mine was told after having a custom rifle built and not being able to keep his shots on a paper plate his powder an primers may not be any good. They were stored in his shop in a cabinet but no a/c or heat and were a year or so old. I know these conditions are not ideal but was just wondering about its shelf life.
Old August 23, 2014, 09:04 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

Powder and primers kept in a cool dry place will last a very, very long time.
I've used powder that was in sealed cans that was well over 15 years old with no issues. As long as it was stored in its original container and doesn't smell funky then its good to go.
I doubt 1 year old powder would be the cause of your friend's accuracy issues.
Old August 23, 2014, 09:05 AM   #3
hooligan1

I store my primers in a cabinet above my work desk, and my powder in a reclaimed vanity cabinet (if there is accidental ignition,there will be little or no compression) and it stays cool and dry throughout the years, and thats key cool and dry.

I go through powder at a decent rate but have powders in cabinet that are 30+ and still very decent.....my primers arent but a couple years old....
Old August 23, 2014, 09:06 AM   #4
cryogenic419

I keep all mine in a closet, no ac in the summer, closet is not heated in the winter, it stays around the same temp as the rest of the house and my stuff has been fine for years.

I would think as long as you aren't subjecting the stuff to extreme temps or really horrible conditions like a high humidity basement you should be fine. Of course I'm sure someone will chime in that they keep all theirs in a high humidity environment and everything is fine too.

I would take the tale of powder and primers may not be any good with a grain of salt. Without knowing more of the story, maybe its a bad scope mounting, wrong bullet selection for that particular gun, bad loading procedures, wrong powder choice, maybe its even the rifle itself, or the shooter. Lots of variables.
Old August 23, 2014, 10:33 AM   #5
kilimanjaro

If the builder of that custom rifle told him the accuracy problems were due to powder and primers, I'd suspect the builders' ability right off.

Take a video of your buddy while he's shooting, maybe he's got a bit of flinch or white knuckles.
Old August 23, 2014, 10:58 AM   #6
mikld

"How to store gunpowder" via google; https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...dial:rolleyes:
Old August 23, 2014, 10:59 AM   #7
BigJimP

moderate temps...not real high, or too low....and low humidity...and the powder will easily last 15+ years../ same on primers.

Sure save money on components...but 60% or more of the cost is in the bullets...so buy the bullets in case lots...and powder and primers probably in quantities that you will use in 3 or 4 years max...
Old August 23, 2014, 11:07 AM   #8
billycurl

He ruled out scope and rifle with two other scopes factory ammo shot fine. So it was coming from his loading tech or chose of loads or bad powder. Cant check the powder He did away with it.but thanks for this info.
Old August 23, 2014, 11:11 AM   #9
Nick_C_S

I've told this story before:

In late 2012, I was snooping around my father's house, and in his linen closet, I found a partial pound of W231, two 1-Lb canisters of W296 (one unopened), 700 CCI 500 primers, & 700 CCI 300 primers; as well of a few hundred each of 550's & 350's. It was my old stash I forgot and left behind from back when I lived with him in 1987. So the components were no less than 25 years old - most were probably older.

Other than some remaining W296 (I'm looking at the canister now), I have since used all the components and everything worked just fine - save for one - one - slow primer (click-wait-wait-bang).

Granted, the components were stored in pretty much ideal conditions - low humidity California, in a climate controlled house, buried in the back of a dark closet in the middle of the house; but it still speaks to the long term viability of components.

And I'm sure there are others who can top my story.
Old August 23, 2014, 06:37 PM   #10
arizona98tj

Just a couple of weeks ago, I finished a nearly full pound of W231 that was purchased in the late '70s. I worked up some test loads, tried them at the range, then cranked out a bunch of rounds on the Dillon. It spent a couple decades in my Arizona garage (not temp moderated).
Old August 23, 2014, 10:33 PM   #11
oldreloader

Please explain "his loading Tech".
Old August 23, 2014, 10:42 PM   #12
Nick_C_S

I think he means his "loading technique." His skill at loading ammo, if you will.
Old August 24, 2014, 07:46 AM   #13
dickttx

As I only load for handguns and use one powder now I recently sold a friend at the range the remains (about 3#) of a 4# paper keg of Unique from about 1970. I wish I could say it had been stored in ideal conditions, however, the storage temp probably ranged from 120° to -20° during its life.
He was glad to get it and has loaded lots of 45 Colt with it. I have shot some of them, and they were very good loads.
Now though, I store my powder, except for the 1# jug I work from, in various closets around the house. Probably a lot better conditions.

Old August 26, 2014, 09:33 PM   #14
AFK

I keep mine in a bread cabinet that I got from Subway when theywhere doing a remodel. Ihave powder that is easily 5 years old and it's still young.

Old August 27, 2014, 07:28 AM   #15
sawdustdad

I keep my powder in a wooden enclosed workbench in my shop (which is heated and air conditioned.) Now that I am getting back into the hobby after 25 years of little shooting, I've started loading and shooting more. I had 3 lbs of Unique from the late 80's that I've been using. Also some W748, 2400, blue dot, 4198, etc. It's still perfect. My primers from the same time period have been stored in metal parts drawers in the same shop. Again, all perfect. I read last night that these have a basically indefinite shelf life if stored in relatively stable conditions. BTW, Unique cost $8.95/lb and 1000 CCI primers was $12.95, back in the day, as they say.
Old August 27, 2014, 08:58 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

Last year I loaded some Cascade primers ( CCI, before they became CCI ) had a price of $3.00 on the box of 1000... anyone want to venture a guess as to how old those were ???

they were stored the last 15 years in the leaky basement of an air conditioned farm house... every single one of them fired as new...
Old August 27, 2014, 09:42 AM   #17
axxion89

My powder & primers are stored in my basement in a locking cabinet. Never had an issue with that and the humidity in my basement rises a little bit here and there but not enough to necessitate the need for a dehumidifier
Old August 27, 2014, 09:52 AM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm using primers I bought 20+ years ago and powder that I bought 30 years ago, and it's still just fine.

Cool and dry are the storage conditions you want.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 27, 2014, 09:56 AM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

AFK, that is a great storage solution!

My only concern with storing in any kind of cabinet is how tightly the doors close. If something were to ignite the powder, you don't want it in a tightly enclosed cabinet, which could let pressure rise to dangerous (bomb) levels.

I store my powder and primers in the basement closet under the stairs. It has vented bi-fold doors, so no issues there.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.