The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Mr. Mike

Need a little help or advise

Stopped reloading in the 70's but have decided to start again due the lack of desired ammo. Noticed that there are a ton of new and different items that can be chosen. Have a Lee classic press coming and was wondering if the RCBS dies will work in this press. I never did use lube when I did reload and I reloading up to a .300 Win Mag. But I did neck size only most of the larger shouldered brass. Don't even remember what brands of powder I used but I think it was IMR? So I would even appreciate a start at this. I will be starting with .308 Win and 150 gr bullet.
Thanks for any help for this old newbie.
Old March 11, 2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Shootest

Yes, the RCBS dies will work in the Lee press.
IMR 4064 is a good all around powder to start with.
Old March 11, 2014, 05:33 PM   #3
riverratt

I agree with shootest imr 4064 is a very good powder. Mike what are you loading for whitetail, target only? Even just neck sizeing i still use a little lube, i just think it extends the caselife and early on when i started reloading i got a case stuck. Dont what to do that again.
Old March 13, 2014, 06:51 AM   #4
Mr. Mike

need a little help or advise

Thanks for the quick comeback. I am loading for whitetail but will be shooting some targets to get all the sighting in done and for pleasure. Nothing long range as the Michigan woods doesn't allow it. I do plan on using a lube as I guess I was just lucky the first time around. Just a bit bewildered by all the choices out there today for the new reloader. What other powders are recommended for the .308 and a 150 gr bullet? And, what is a good ballistic reloading manual to start with today? I guess I do have a ton of questions now that I have decided to get back in the reloading game.
Old March 13, 2014, 08:52 AM   #5
riverratt

I no longer load for a .308 i use an 06. That said varget is a very good powder as well. If long range (300+yrds) isnt your goal and you hunt the brush personaly i like a little heavier bullet. Im not trying to get in a debate just found the 150s a bit explosive for my likeing.

Personaly i use a 165gr sierra gameking hpbt very accurate and devistating preformance. But thats enough about that. As far as the manual question goes i like the speer, sierra and hornady. I have heard good things about the lyman but i dont own one so i cant say anything about that.

When i did have my .308 i used 42.8gr of varget and 43gr of imr 4064 under a 150gr. Sierra pro-hunter psp. Deadly accurate with them loads only. I have nothing against a .308 just that one, she was very tempramental. My 06 isnt as accurate but i have been able to produce at least moa prformance with bullets from 125gr-200gr and i can shoot 150gr-180gr with less than 2" differance at 100yrds. Got in a bind and had to chose one to sell.

Fyi my gun hated both of the 4895's 2.5" groups was the best i could get.
Old March 13, 2014, 03:03 PM   #6
ghbucky01

OP, I hope you aren't just relying on memory and have picked up some reloading books?
Old March 13, 2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Mr. Mike

Riverratt I sure do thank you for all your info. There is no way I will be trying any reloading loads from memory. I measure by weight each and every load that goes in a case. Super careful as I was before. My reloading was done while I was living in Alaska for about 8 years and all in the bush. I stopped when I left Alaska and was able to buy ammo...in stores! But that was a long time ago.
Old March 13, 2014, 08:35 PM   #8
riverratt

Mike i failed to mention that the powder data i gave you was near max if i recall correctly, i got it from my old loading notes so i dont have any start data for you. Reduce the charge at least 5% and work up. Good luck and be safe.
Old March 13, 2014, 08:54 PM   #9
chris in va

You'll want to get a current reloading manual that shows various 308 powders. My Lyman 49 lists 15 different powders for a 150gr SP.
Old March 20, 2014, 06:32 AM   #10
Mr. Mike

Thanks again riverratt and the tip on Lyman 40 manual. I am in the process of gathering a few manuals now and should soon be up and running. I sure hope it is easier to obtain the components than the actual finished cartridges.
Old March 20, 2014, 09:01 AM   #11
Jim243

Quote:
I sure hope it is easier to obtain the components than the actual finished cartridges.
Good luck on that one. (LOL) I think you will get sticker shock when you see the prices on components now a days.

Jim