The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 7, 2011, 02:58 PM   #1
WildWilly

Savage barrel dimensions

Can someone tell me the dimensions of a Model 10 Standard contour barrel as well as the dimensions of a Model 10 FP-SR Heavy Barrel .308. I want to take a wood stock from a model 10 GXP3 and re-channel the stock to fit the FP-SR and I need to know how much wood would need to be removed from the barrel channel. I have the FP-SR, but I do not have a GXP3 so I cannot measue it myself. I would appreciate any help or advice on the topic.
Old December 11, 2011, 11:47 PM   #2
quepasakimosabe

the standard barrel contour is on or around 0.585 at the tip and may vary slightly from year to year as to the degree of taper but should not as long as its within the turn of the century.
To sum it up: Somewhere there is a TRUE BELIEVER training, he will not stop in his mission, he knows only the cause. What have you done today? For your brothers at arms, friends, family, your country, yourself?
Old December 13, 2011, 08:54 AM   #3
PawPaw

Without recommending that you pull out your calipers, the replacement barrel makers have settled on some standard contours for Savage barrels.

LINKY to McGowen barrels contour page. Scroll toward the bottom for Savage contours.

LINKY for Shilen barrels contour page.

Any number of vendors (Midway, Brownells) sell tools that will help you to fit the barrel to the stock.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Tags
308 , gunsmithing , tactical