The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 22, 2000, 03:29 PM   #1
Hemphill

Could anyone describe the "select slug" drill for me? I recently purchased a Benelli semi-auto and would like to know the proper method to switch from buck to slug. I plan to use this shotgun for defense and 3-gun competition, so this may be an important drill for me to learn.
Old November 22, 2000, 04:57 PM   #2
Daniel Watters

With the Benelli and Beretta 1201FP3, simply pull the bolt handle to the rear and allow the chambered round to eject. While holding the bolt handle to the rear, insert the slug into the ejection port. Release the bolt handle, allowing the slug to chamber. Fire.

The Benelli and Beretta do not allow shells from the magazine to feed when the bolt is manually cycled. Only the firing of the chambered shell or manually tripping the carrier latch will result in a shell feeding from the magazine tube.
Old November 22, 2000, 06:11 PM   #3
GGGLOCK

Here's how I learned it at Frontsight. (Assume weapon is "pointed in" at target).

1. Index slug with support hand.
2. Bring support hand (with slug) back into position under the SG's forearm. At this point your support hand is in its normal shooting position, except that there's a slug cradled between the SG's forearm and your 4 fingers.
3. With firing hand, pull cocking handle to eject chambered round. Hold bolt in the open position.
4. Slide support hand back (with slug) and let slug drop naturally into ejection port. Slide support hand forward to its normal shooting position.
5. Release bolt.

This method is very fast, and the weapon always remains pointed at the target.