The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 26, 2015, 04:28 PM   #1
baddarryl

Ok to shoot with choke removed?

Hi all. Will doing that simple provide a cylinder choke or can it damage the threads or anything else?
Old January 26, 2015, 04:40 PM   #2
Bake

Its bad MOJO! and allows the threads to get extra dirty, and if you bump the muzzle hard, it could make it harder, putting the choke back in....
Old January 26, 2015, 05:58 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

NO, unless you want to ruin a barrel.
Old January 26, 2015, 06:04 PM   #4
Blindstitch

Ouch don't do it. If you want cylinder bore i'm sure there's a choke for that.
Old January 26, 2015, 07:34 PM   #5
baddarryl

Thanks everyone!
Old January 26, 2015, 07:55 PM   #6
BigJimP

There is always someone at a gun club....saying he's so good ...all he shoots in his gun is "threads"...( no choke ) ...because it cramps his style to use a choke ...

Some of those guys have talent.../ but mostly they are just the guys - that no one wants to shoot with - or listen too.../ and every club I've ever visited has one guy like that - that you can hear from 100 yds off...

Don't be one of those guys...

Buy a full set of choke tubes.... Cylinder, Skeet, Imp Cylinder, Mod, Improved Mod and Full...and shoot the chokes that put a 30" pattern on the target at the expected kill range..( and I know there are other chokes in between the ones I mentioned - like Light Mod, etc )...but those 6 chokes will do anything I need done with a shotgun.
---------------
The shot will probably stay in the wad as it travels down the barrel...so in theory "shooting threads" will only plug up the threads with plastic fouling..so it may not ruin the barrel...but I don't care if you paid $ 150 or $ 5,000 - or more - for your shotgun /it was still your hard earned money ...why the heck would anyone just abuse their equipment...
--------------
Same loudmouth might shoot Full chokes for Skeet too....because he's so good, he wants to see them powdered all the time...is what will be coming out of his mouth .../ when usually he just chips his way to mediocrity .../ where a good Skeet shooter might powder a lot of targets ...shooting a Skeet choke if he centers the targets...!

I'd rather be shooting the right choke ..for the job at hand.../ and not abusing my equipment...
Old January 26, 2015, 08:14 PM   #7
Virginian

You can do it and it will not hurt the gun. It is not advisable because it will gunk up the threads and makes it real easy to ding the muzzle.
Old January 26, 2015, 09:46 PM   #8
zippy13

Quote:
Some of those guys have talent.../ but mostly they are just the guys - that no one wants to shoot with - or listen too.../ and every club I've ever visited has one guy like that - that you can hear from 100 yds off...
Amen, Brother Jim
Old January 27, 2015, 07:08 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
You can do it and it will not hurt the gun. It is not advisable because it will gunk up the threads and makes it real easy to ding the muzzle.
Very true.

As to buying a full set of chokes, there are a variety of theories. It really comes down to what you are using the gun for. If you are a skeet shooter only, then that is all you need. I shoot sporting clays and FITASC and I carry two chokes for my gas gun with another in the muzzle. The gun came with many, but I use a LM for 90% of the targets. I also carry a SK for close and an IM for far. "One for close, one for most, and one for far" - attributed to NSCA Hall of Famer Jon Kruger.
Old January 28, 2015, 07:37 AM   #10
RMcL

Buy a CYLINDER choke tube

Trulock Chokes has "cylinder" choke tubes for virtually all shotguns.

Cylinder = No choke constriction.

http://www.trulockchokes.com/get-cho...%20Chokes#fam1
Old January 31, 2015, 12:19 AM   #11
publius

You can do it and it may or may not ruin the threads. Don't chance it, just buy a cylinder choke.
Old January 31, 2015, 10:28 AM   #12
RobinTN

baddarryl wrote:..."Will doing that simple provide a cylinder choke"

No. The area of the barrel that has the female threads in it to mate with the appropriate screw in choke is larger in diameter than the bore of the barrel and thus allowing a cylinder choke (.000 constriction) to be used.
Old January 31, 2015, 12:23 PM   #13
Virginian

Shooting the threads is the same as a cylinder choke, unless you have an overbored barrel. Some of those have the choke start in the barrel and then continue with a choke tube. Shooting the threads will not hurt the threads, but unless you clean them really good before re-installing a choke tube you might. And they can be a bear to clean. Cylinder or skeet chokes can be found for under $15 usually.
Old January 31, 2015, 12:56 PM   #14
RobinTN

Please explain how you can screw in a cylinder choke (.000 constriction) which is zero constriction or the same as the gauge bore and say the threads on the outside of the choke are the same bore gauge. I know on my 20ga SG you can see the enlarged portion of the barrel where the chokes reside. So, is it to assume if you can buy a cylinder choke for your gun, your gun is over bored?

Last edited by RobinTN; January 31, 2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old January 31, 2015, 02:02 PM   #15
Dreaming100Straight

The threads are NOT, as you put it, the same bore gauge. Thinking about a typical modern flush choke as opposed to those of yesterday that bulged near the muzzle. The inner diameter of the choke measures the same as the inner diameter of the cylinder bore of the barrel. Not to get into back bored barrels.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; January 31, 2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old January 31, 2015, 04:22 PM   #16
Virginian

The threads are larger than gauge. The leading edge of choke tubes are also so the charge doesn't snag it. The plastic shot cup may touch the threads (and gunk them up) but the shot will not. An acquaintance who shoots the threads loaded up some non shot cup loads to show us that even then the shot didn't touch the threads. Didn't change anyone's opinions, and in truth the threads looked better than they did with plastic shotcups.
Old January 31, 2015, 07:29 PM   #17
TimSr

My Winchester 1200 says in the owners manual to never fire without choke installed, but what do they know?

I have never seen a screw in "cylinder" choke for any shotgun. Skeet is most open. If you want cylinder, get an 18" "defender" type barrel.
Old January 31, 2015, 08:19 PM   #18
FITASC

Incorrect, a Cylinder choke exists from every choke maker. It renders the exit bore at 0.000". Skeet is 0.005"
Old February 1, 2015, 01:24 AM   #19
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
The plastic shot cup may touch the threads (and gunk them up) but the shot will not.
That is if there is nothing defective about the shot cup or the cup wasn't too overloaded with shot. I wouldn't risk it.

I didn't realize that the id of the choke is greater than the bore at their intersection, but it makes sense the way Virginian explained.
Old February 1, 2015, 08:02 AM   #20
RobinTN

This might clear it up:

Here's Remington's explanation, with an illustration, also.

Last edited by RobinTN; February 1, 2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old February 1, 2015, 06:17 PM   #21
FITASC

http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm