The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 4, 2013, 09:31 AM   #1
darkgael

Problem with 1911 grip safety

I have had my Gold Cup NM for a couple of decades. It is my Bullseye gun. Lots of rounds through it, in excess of 60k.
Just recently I have had a problem during the sustained fire stages. The grip safety engages during a string and the gun won't fire. If I shift my hand, regripping, then I can continue. This cost me two shots in a gallery match on Wednesday.
I don't believe that my grip is a problem....it has not been all these years. What should I look at and, perhaps, do? This problem has not occurred in the Slow fire stage, only in Timed and Rapid.
I will analyze my grip in any case but I don't see that as the issue.
Suggestions?
Pete
Old January 4, 2013, 01:10 PM   #2
mete

I bet you're changing your grip and don'r realize it ! Have someone watch carefully as you shoot. Look also immediately after the rapid fire strings.
Old January 4, 2013, 03:35 PM   #3
g.willikers

If the grip safety isn't visible when your paw is on it, how about taping it down securely and see what happens?
Thus eliminating your grip as the culprit.
Maybe then first dry firing and if it seems to work ok, then live fire to see if anything goes awry.
Old January 5, 2013, 05:37 PM   #4
drail

Yup. Tape it down and see if it fires 100%. If it does you can either have it adjusted to release with less movement or have it pinned shut. It sounds like you just got one that needs a little adjustment. Grip safeties can be adjusted to release with only 1/16th " movement and still block the trigger when you take your hand off. There is absolutely no reason to have to chicken choke the gun to make it fire.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:12 PM   #5
RickB

I wouldn't expect 60k rounds to make the grip safety more "sensitive"? Although there is little wear to be expected from the grip safety rubbing on the trigger bow, any wear would make the grip safety less likely to function, not make it more sensitive to grip. I'd take it apart, and look for a burr on the trigger bow, or something else that has changed the relationship of the safety and trigger.
You're sure the grip safety is the problem? Just for giggles, you might check that the disconnector is resetting correctly.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:16 PM   #6
drail

It may be wear or just a marginal fit since new but it can be fixed with very little problem. I adjust mine for about 1/16th" travel before release. Since you are able to make it release by adjusting your grip slightly it sounds like the gun is moving in your hand. You Bullseye guys have to use a light touch I know. You guys are amazing.
Old January 8, 2013, 07:46 AM   #7
darkgael

Grip

Much as I dismissed it, the problem appears to be in my hand/my grip. I taped the grip safety shut for practice yesterday and had no malfunctions.
Got some work to do. Have not checked the disconnector yet but, for giggles, I will.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Pete
Old January 10, 2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Adjusting the safety to engage earlier in its compression against the frame is pretty easy to do. The protruding nose that blocks the trigger bow just needs its underside filed up slightly. Just don't take much off, as the pivot around the thumb safety pin is closer to that nose than to the bottom end of the safety, so the amount you take off will be less than the amount it changes the engagement point at the bottom of the safety.

A cheap quick fix you can do is to get a little self-adhesive foam insulating strip and stick a square of it the width of the grip safety on the bottom of the grip safety. This will press the grip safety closed even if your palm doesn't contact it well. It's not so good for a combat gun due to rough handling during presentation, but for a bullseye match it holds up fine.

My dad had this problem with the school gun he took to Gunsite, and it is just the shape of his hand being a little hollow in that area with his normal grip. This is something that can change with age, hand shape being affected some by how you use your hands during your life. Dad had never had that problem shooting his Goldcup in bullseye matches, but the faster shooting at Gunsite that didn't allow time to carefully set the grip showed it up.

Dad got the grip safety clipped permanently down on his school gun, though I would be more hesitant to do that on a Goldcup if the trigger is lightened and especially if you have the original trigger with its heavy steel stirrup. Those factors make inertial firing more likely. The grip safety prevents that from happening should you drop the loaded and cocked gun grip frame down. Release of the grip safety when pressing the slide release to chamber a round will also prevent a slamfire, though its awkward. (Just keeping the trigger pressed while releasing the slide is easier and keeps the disconnector down until the dust has settled.)
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle