The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 22, 2012, 12:36 PM   #1
flintlock.50

Berger Match Grade VLD Hunting or Nosler Accubond?

I'd like to hear experience about how these two bullets perform. I know Berger is advertised on The Best of the West show as a superior long range bullet. On the show, it certainly does the job. I won't be shooting at the distances featured on that show, but I could shoot as far as 500 yards... or as close as 25 yards, who knows. I read one review that said Bergers did well on very long distance shots, but may not perform as well on shorter shots. I've also read a few reviews that said Accubonds broke up on large game like elk, though the elk did die.

Any thoughts on which of these two bullets perform better?

Thanks!

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old January 22, 2012, 02:33 PM   #2
5RWill

https://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr...Number=3004300

The hunting VLDs seem to do a damn good job at what they're advertised for.
Right now i have some 105gr VLDs loaded for our .243 and i'm eager to try them out. I'd personally go for the VLDs
Old January 23, 2012, 01:00 AM   #3
RyeDaddy

There's pics of 2 pigs I shot in that thread on the Hide, bullet hit neck bone at 80 yards and still exited with enough left to kill the pig behind him, I'd say they hold together fine at least for me. Also shot a ram with the VLD, performance was great. VLD's are all I use anymore in my 260 and 300 WSM.
Old January 24, 2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Daryl

The Bergers are very fragile. They're designed for fast expansion and/or fragmentation, and will cause massive trauma inside of an animal. The "hydrostatic shock", or whatever happens when a high velocity bullet does this, is impressive.

Two downsides I see to using them are:

1. A lot of meat damage if you hit edible portions.

2. Limited penetration is heavy bones are hit.

I've used Berger match bullets (same as VLD's) in my 17 Remington for several years. They drop coyotes dead quick, and don't usually exit, but I have to be very careful about bullet placement to be sure of proper penetration to the vitals.

Personally, I like a bullet that's a bit tougher than the VLD's for hunting big game. Speer SPBT's and Grand Slams have served me very well in several rifles.

Daryl
Old January 24, 2012, 06:48 PM   #5
5RWill

The match VLD and hunting VLDs have different jackets do they not?
Old January 27, 2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Daryl

Quote:
My understanding is that they're one and the same.

From what I understand, Berger found out some folks were using the match bullets for hunting with good success, and re-marketed them to the hunting public.
Old January 27, 2012, 08:31 AM   #7
RyeDaddy

Quote:
THEY DO. The hunting and target VLD's are the same design with different thickness jackets. Berger didn't decide to just make the same bullets but put them in dIfferent color boxes for marketing purposes. I've been using hunting VLD's for the last two years and they seem to do exactly what Berger says. They pencil hole for about 2" then grenade. They have worked awesome for me so far(and lots of other people), but this has to be the most misunderstood hunting bullet on the market. There is a ton of misinformation regarding Berger VLD's.

http://blog.sinclairintl.com/2011/03...-hunting-vld/T
Old January 31, 2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Smokey Joe

Noslers...

Flintlock 50--Can't speak to the question of the Berger VLD's, but you have several comments on them.

Now, as to the Nosler Accubonds: (1) In my rifles, they are ACCURATE! Work very well. (2) They kill deer really dead. Shot one through the chest 2 yrs ago--You never saw such a completely ruined engine room! Shot one through the neck last year--2 vertebrae completely disappeared; deer was DRT.

Of course, I like the plastic tips, too. Used to use Sierra Gamekings, on which there is no moss for either accuracy or deadliness, but their lead tips are subject to incidental damage in handling, in one's pocket, loading/unloading the magazine, etc. My only complaint re: SGK's.

The Accubond seems to be a blend of the best of Nosler's other 2 hunting bullets: Just as deadly as the more expensive Partition, and just as accurate as the less expanding Ballistic Tip. Personally, if I never shoot any other bullet than an Accubond at a deer, I'll be quite satisfied.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; January 31, 2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old January 31, 2012, 02:10 PM   #9
taylorce1

I haven't killed anything elk sized with the Accubond but they hold together well on deer and pronghorn. As far as the Berger I've only seen one animal shot with and it was a pronghorn at about 400 yards. It destroyed the whole offside front quarter to include the backstrap of the animal, rifle used was Tikka T3 Hunter 7mm RM and 168 grain VLD bullet.

If I had to have one bullet that would work well at all ranges and velocities I'd pick the Nosler Partition, I know it isn't as cool looking nor has the BC of the bullets we are talking about. However, it is capable of reaching the ranges you talked about and working without fail and has proven to be accurate in every rifle I've tried them in. I have personal experience with that bullet at 300 yards on elk, 200 on black bear, and 180 on mule deer, in .270 Win, .30-06, and .300 H&H. Second choice would be a bonded bullet, or heavy for caliber cup and core bullet both of wich your Accubond and VLD fall into I'll throw Mono-Metal bullets in here as well.