The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 16, 2012, 12:10 AM   #1
banditgriot

Fighting Handguns/pistol whipping

Do any of you feel that as a last result the pistol can be used as a Sap or brass knuckles? If so, how do you rate polymer framed guns in this use? Steel framed guns like the 1911, CZ75 and even the HK P7 would make a decent lump, where a polymer pistol would have to be turned in the right direction to be useful. Which fighting handgun do you rate as the best for "pistol whipping" in a last resort scenario?
Old February 16, 2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Lurky BoDean

Ruger Super Blackhawk with 10.5" barrel.
Old February 16, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3
HighValleyRanch

Have the Western Channel on in my shop when I am working.

In the early series, Matt Dillon used his Colt long barrel as a pistol whip almost as often as he drew the gun to shoot!

With his tall demeanor and long arms and that long barrel Colt, he could draw the gun out and wack the gunman before he could even clear holster.

So my vote is for a long barrel Single action!
Old February 16, 2012, 12:44 AM   #4
farmerboy

some pistols may actually be better for that than to try and shoot them.
Old February 16, 2012, 12:48 AM   #5
ScottRiqui

I think it boils down to "more weight is better" (for the obvious reason), and "longer is better" (for the increased leverage). So, I'm going to agree that a long-barrelled revolver would probably be the best choice, especially if you grab it by the barrel and whack them with the butt.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:06 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Do any of you feel that as a last result the pistol can be used as a Sap or brass knuckles? If so, how do you rate polymer framed guns in this use? Steel framed guns like the 1911, CZ75 and even the HK P7 would make a decent lump, where a polymer pistol would have to be turned in the right direction to be useful. Which fighting handgun do you rate as the best for "pistol whipping" in a last resort scenario?

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

OK, I'll play. That's why I carry a Hi-Point. If I can't shoot them, I can throw it at them, hit 'em up side the head with it, or drop it on their foot. Maybe if I hit them hard enough the ZAMAC slide will shatter, and I can use the sharp edges left behind to gouge out their eyes!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 16, 2012, 01:09 AM   #7
ScottRiqui

Quote:
That's why I carry a Hi-Point. If I can't shoot them, I can throw it at them, hit 'em up side the head with it, or drop it on their foot.
Hey, there's something to be said for throwing a pistol. Remember the old "Superman" TV show from the 50s? Superman would let the bullets just bounce off of his chest, but he *always* dodged when the bad guy threw the empty gun at him!
Old February 16, 2012, 01:16 AM   #8
9mm

Pistol whipping? I wouldn't want to be that close, nor do that, as someone could swipe my gun away. But I guess the best gun would be a all metal gun, not plastic guns.

Quote:
Hey, there's something to be said for throwing a pistol. Remember the old "Superman" TV show from the 50s? Superman would let the bullets just bounce off of his chest, but he *always* dodged when the bad guy threw the empty gun at him!
Haha, yeah, they throw the gun at him, and makes a poof sound. I hated those caves, they reused those sets alot.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:18 AM   #9
arentol

I know of a guy with a CPL that did this once, while the gun was loaded. Apparently he got himself into a fight and decided using his gun to beat on the other person would be a good idea. He ended up shooting an innocent bystander. It was a series of horrible choices from start to finish, and using the gun as a melee weapon was probably the second worst of them, right after letting himself get into a fight while armed.

The reality is that there is almost no chance that you will need to use a gun in this manner. If the gun is loaded using it like this is idiotic. If it is empty it should be because you unloaded every round in the gun at the badguy, and all your spare magazines/reloads as well. At that point it is almost certain the fight is over, one way or another. The odds over the course of your entire life of you ever getting to the point that using your handgun as a melee weapon is a genuinely good idea is probably about an order of magnitude worse than the odds of winning the Powerball lottery. In other words, it isn't going to happen. Mentally preparing yourself for this idea can do no good, and might just do something bad by increasing the odds you will do something stupid like the guy I mentioned.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:36 AM   #10
silvermane_1

pistol whipping is never a good idea period, however if going to use a pistol as a blunt object use a wheelgun and hit with the grip/butt, this method is called "buffaloing".
Old February 16, 2012, 02:01 AM   #11
C0untZer0

I'd head butt someone before risking damaging my HK P7M8 whacking it against some thick-skulled jack ass.

I NEVER thought I would get to post this picture in an actual thread but here is the opportunity. If you really think you need the option to thump someone, get a glass breaker and mount it on your rail.

Now that's a serious headache:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumper.jpg (23.0 KB, 382 views)
Old February 16, 2012, 02:06 AM   #12
TennJed

Is damage from pistol whipping considered normal wear and tear and thus covered by most company warranties?

And considering how strong I am, I would have to use "Ruger Only Swings". An original Colt would blow apart if I used it to pistol whip
Old February 16, 2012, 02:09 AM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Now that's seriously getting thumped:
OUCH!!! That thing gives me a headache just lookin' at it!!!
Maybe I'll get another Hi-Point, and put one of those on one, and one of these on the other one:
Old February 16, 2012, 02:18 AM   #14
kozak6

Or better yet, the glassbreaker has a rail too. You could have the glass breaker and a knife on each Hi-Point.

Personally, I would mount two glassbreakers on each pistol in case the first one didn't trigger. Can't be too careful.
Old February 16, 2012, 02:35 AM   #15
Jammer Six

I thought that's why all you ninjas carried lights with curly lens caps-- so if you need to pistol whip someone, you holster, find your light, turn it around, and whack them with that High Impact Lens Cover.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:24 AM   #16
Marquezj16

I once saw a pistol flying through the air. It was in training though. lol
Double tap drills from the holster. They probably did not have a good grip.

One more reason why they put lanyards on our M9s. So you can throw it, retrieve and throw it again.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:56 AM   #17
Dashunde

Well, yea, I guess if the rounds are all gone and the fight is still on, or more show up... swinging even a little PM9 is far better than a fist and I'd have to be cornered to resort to it.

My entire objective is to get myself out of there, not to apprehend or "win" the fight, that even includes within my own home unless it meant leaving wife or kid behind.

I think its a requirement for me to carry pepper spray along with the pistola as a way of dealing with a unarmed aggressor.
While I'd make every attempt to stay out of a fray, if I'm pounced by someone unarmed I'll spray them down and run instead of getting in a fist fight with a gun in my waistband.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:58 AM   #18
Darmok

Best gun ever for pistol whipping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Z0ZPPPGnc
Old February 16, 2012, 11:08 AM   #19
Jammer Six

If I was going to pistol whip someone, I'd use my chevy half ton.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:24 PM   #20
Cheapshooter

Quote:
You could have the glass breaker and a knife on each Hi-Point.
That's just plain ridiculous! The knife blade would block the triggering mechanism preventing the glass breaker from deploying. I want something that is seriously going to work. I think the two Hi-Points, one with glass breaker, the other with knife, in a double holster shoulder rig. Of course I don't think it will get to the pistol whipping point because I'll have 12 loaded spare clips in the rig. Also my 25 Larson, and 380 Jemeniz BUGs in my cargo pants pockets. I know I'll be legally protected, because I'll have my CCW badge plainly visible to all who want to look at it!
Old February 16, 2012, 01:43 PM   #21
C0untZer0

Two words...

Desert

Eagle
Old February 16, 2012, 02:04 PM   #22
Jammer Six

I'm not sure if I understand how that glass breaker works.

Is there a manual?
Old February 16, 2012, 02:40 PM   #23
aarondhgraham

What was that protrusion on old pocket revolvers called?,,,

On a lot of the little 5-shot revolvers from the late 1800's or early 1900's,,,
There was often a pointy protrusion on the butt of the pistol grip.

They almost always had a hole drilled through them,,,
I assumed they were for some kind of lanyard.

But my grandfather told me they were called "dusters",,,
Meant to be used like one might use brass knuckles.

I remember asking him about it as a kid,,,
His Iver-Johnson "owl head" had one.

This thread might have become a bit silly as it went on,,,
But if I had used all my ammo and was still fighting,,,
I for darned sure wouldn't throw my gun at him,,,
I would be trying to beat him with it for sure.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 16, 2012, 03:33 PM   #24
dsk

Currently I keep a steel-framed S&W 4006 as my bedside gun. I joked to the members on the Smith forum that it gives me 13 chances to take out the bad guy. When some of them asked me what I meant (it holds 11+1 rounds) I mentioned how the thing is heavy enough to make a good bludgeon if all else fails.
Old February 16, 2012, 04:18 PM   #25
MrDontPlay

I put this on layaway today, I think I'd grab it by the end of the magazine and hit them with the back of the receiver like a mallet.