The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 31, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1
EricReynolds

Carry holster for work

I'm going to be doing armed security work soon. I've been in security for a while but I've never carried. I'm not a newbie when it comes to firearms, but I live in The People's Republic of New York and this will actually be my first real time I've carried. I bought a simple nylon Uncle Mike's hip holster for my Ruger P94. I'll likely upgrade it to something fancier when funds are available.
Two questions: First, I've noticed that on thumb break holsters, illustrations show the snap on the inside, closest to the body. I tried both ways and I find it easier to draw with the snap on the opposite side. What is the proper way and why? Second, any recommendations on a strong side hip holster?
Old August 3, 2009, 11:57 PM   #2
chris in va

I can't believe nobody has replied, so here's my .02.

You want the snap on the inside for retention purposes. Much harder for someone to unsnap it with your body pressed against the flap.

Might want to get with the other armed guards and see what they recommend concerning holsters. Otherwise try posting the question on the General section and see what people suggest.
Old August 4, 2009, 09:04 AM   #3
ECHOONE

I'd go with Blackhawks Serpa Holster It's a great retention holster,very easy to release,much better then the nylons with button strap.
Old August 4, 2009, 09:22 AM   #4
NightSight

The snap is supposed to be on the inside because when you draw you will push straight down with your thumb as you are acquiring your combat grip. That's why it is sometimes called a thumb-break.

Tough to beat a Milt Sparks holster. If you want to take a look at a fellow TFL member's work check here:

http://monicakuehnleather.blogspot.com/

I'm sure that Monica aka Shorts can help you out. She has very good looking holsters for a very reasonable price.

Last edited by NightSight; August 4, 2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Adding Monica's Link
Old August 10, 2009, 09:46 AM   #5
mike21603

Quote:
I'd go with Blackhawks Serpa Holster It's a great retention holster,very easy to release,much better then the nylons with button strap.
agreed. the have three different levels of retention. blackhawk.com
Old August 10, 2009, 04:30 PM   #6
45Gunner

Blackhawk Serpa Holster. I just ordered my second one after one weeks experience with the first. I carry and H & K .40 LEM and just bought the second holster for my 1911 fun shooting at the range. I'm junking all my high priced Galco stuff and other high priced leather.
NRA Life Member