The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2001, 07:19 PM   #1
MIKE14

Any of you guys out there weigh their cases? If so how tight do you group them. I've got some Black Hills Match cases that weigh from 160-162.5 grains is 2.5 grain variance excessive? Should I split this batch into two weight groups and mark acordingly to note velocity differances? Or am I just being too picky?
Old February 3, 2001, 08:07 PM   #2
alan

Mike:

As I remember, vis-a-vis 30-06 and 308, Winchester cases were lightest, followed by Remington and Match Brass, ala Lake City, or Frankfort Arsenal.

While some folks do weigh cases, I never did, however the type of shooting I was doing at the time, combined with my "skill level", didn't seem to make the effort worth while. Hand weighing powder charges, for National Match Course competition also seemed to be of questionable value.
Old February 5, 2001, 01:19 AM   #3
The Maz

It depends on what you want to do with them. Generally, for most purposes (up to 1/2 MOA) you shouldn't really worry about it. When you are really pushing the envelope pressure-wise or going for true benchrest accuracy then sorting by weight may make sense.
Old February 5, 2001, 10:58 AM   #4
alan

As The Maz noted, for BENCH REST ACCURACY, most anything, including sorting cases by weight, is probably worth while, other things being equal.

I also noticed that Maz mentioned "up to 1/2 minute of angle", which I assume he used with reference to shooting at 100 yards, possibly 200 yards.

In high power competition, National Match Course, which used to be shot with 30 caliber rifles (30-06 and 308), the 10 ring on the 600 yard target, fired with IRON SIGHTS, was 12" in diameter, that translates to 2 minutes of angle.

While bench rest shooters have shot some tiny groups, for genereal purpose use, I suspect that weighing cases, and sorting them by weight isn't worth the effort. Trying to use cases of the same make and lot is another thing, probably worth while, if doable. One can, of course, spend their time as they like.