The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 29, 2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Oldjarhead

Glock m23 parts/spring replacements

My Glock m23 is now over ten years old(Gen 3) with about three thousand rounds through it. Seems to be running perfectly, but should I be considering an over hall on replacement springs or parts? Right before I retired as an LEO, my Department armorer gave it a detailed strip cleaning to the slide. I forgot to ask him about the above question. Thanks.
Old November 29, 2010, 03:09 PM   #2
john323

If it aint broke don't fix it.

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder
Old November 29, 2010, 03:28 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

Springs wear out from repeated compressing/relaxing cycles. Since you have been shooting it quite a bit, it would not hurt to replace a few springs with factory or quality replacements.

Even though it might not be NEEDED at this time, you don;t know when they will start to degrade. After ten years of frequent use I think a gun deserves refreshing of a few parts, especially considering how inexpensive Glock parts are.

I don't wait to change my tires until they fail, or even at the lowest legal wear. They are too important to driving convenience and safety so when they are getting close and it is convenient budgt and season wise, I replace them.

Suggestions
- Recoil spring
- Trigger spring
- firing pin spring
- the plastic collar around the firing pin
- extractor spring
- perhaps the extractor and ejector if they look worn, but I have shot many thousands of rounds in mine and not seen any signs of wear on them
- if you use one or two mags most of the time then perhaps the mag springs as well.

For about $20-$50 you could totally refresh your pistol for another ten years and avoid having it fail at an inopportune moment.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 29, 2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Oldjarhead

Thanks for the advice NWPilgrim. I appreciate the very friendly way you gave it. I agree that something as important as a carry pistol, should be taken care of before they break at the worst time. Too bad others are too short sighted to realize that, and jump at the chance, just to say something negative without thought. Have a good evening.
Old November 30, 2010, 05:59 PM   #5
john323

3000 rounds in a Glock is nothing.I was just trying to save you some money.

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder
Old December 1, 2010, 12:37 PM   #6
fastbolt

A while back Glock released a Wearable Parts Replacement Schedule to LE armorers for .40 models used by LE. It's a suggested replacement schedule for non-warranty "wearable" parts that can wear out over time in normal use and such wear is not considered a warranty issue.

In the G23/23RTF models (Gen3 & earlier) the following parts were listed for replacement as follows:

Recoil Spring Assembly - 2,000 rounds
Magazine Spring - 2,000 rounds
Firing Pin Safety - 5,000 rounds
Firing Pin Safety Spring - 5,000 rounds
Slide Lock - 5,000 rounds
Trigger Spring (coil) - 5,000 rounds
Locking Block pin - 5,000 rounds

Now, they also included a recommendation that the recoil spring assembly should be tested at each range session or qualification, using the standard Glock recoil spring field test as taught in the armorer class, and to replace the assembly more often as may be needed.

Also, they recommend that for best results the mag springs should be changed at least every other time the recoil spring assembly is replaced.

After the list was sent out I was later told that Glock now considers their current trigger coil spring spring (light gray color) to be a lifetime spring (unless they change their mind sometime or find a better one).

In my last Glock class it was repeatedly mentioned that if we're seeing broken locking blocks, locking block pins & trigger pins that we aren't replacing the recoil springs often enough. Locking block pins have been revised at least once that I can remember, and I was told that the change involved how they were hardened.

I was exchanging some info with another LE Glock armorer online some time ago. He told me that they had experienced some broken barrel lugs (forward lugs) on their G23's. If I recall right, their guns were about 10 years old and had apparently never had their recoil springs replaced. Well, battering isn't a good thing as a recoil spring ages and becomes weaker. The stress is going to be transferred to the gun.

The new Gen4 recoil springs for the .40's are expected to last longer, 5,000 - 7,000 rounds from what I was last told.