The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 16, 2000, 06:55 AM   #1
able2ski

I'm interested in hearing some early details about the nationals, especially how some of my NC friends are doing.

Andrew
Old September 16, 2000, 06:58 AM   #2
Sport

I second that!

Any posted results will be appreciated....

I understand some shot the entire course on
Thursday....Others are doing it in two
days..Friday and Saturday. Awards ceremony is
Sunday.

[This message has been edited by Sport (edited September 16, 2000).]
Old September 16, 2000, 03:14 PM   #3
jfrancis

I shot the match on Thursday. 16 good stages including two or three low-light ones. The light level was not low enough to require a flashlight.

Pretty much all the stages except the 36 round 'standards' were very practical and fun to shoot. Several were 'surprise' stages in the sense that they were in the shoot houses and no walk throughs were allowed (plus the fact that many of the course descriptions had been changed from the shooter's booklet). The double mover (3 rounds each) was certainly a challenge, as was minimizing your profile behind a mail box to Charles Riggs' satisfaction

There were no steel targets and almost none of the paper targets had shirts. There were a couple of dropping targets that just required a good center hit and a neat mover that was triggered by kneeling on a pressure pad.

The SOs were outstanding. They were unfailingly polite and ridiculously fair. I got a couple of calls for shots just outside the A-zone that I probably wouldn't have given myself. They had clearly been told to favor the shooter. Same with 'doubles'.

Overall, a good match. Looking forward to next year already.

John Francis
Old September 17, 2000, 08:08 PM   #4
Mikey

On behalf of all the SO's at this years match, we appreciate the compliment. It means more to us when it comes from the competitors than it does from anyone else (although we appreciate them all)!

I was the Chief SO for Range 16, which included Stage 15 (Ron's Office) and Stage 16 (No Time to Waste) - I was running Stage 16 with my good friend, John Forsyth, keeping score.

This year's match was as smooth as any I've ever seen. We ran about 40 minutes ahead in the morning and afternoon squads. There seemed to be no bottlenecks at all - an amazing feat with 16 stages and 300+ shooters. Hats off to Frank Glover, Match Director, for a first class match design!!

I didn't get a copy of the scores so I can't post the results but they should be on the web site shortly.

Mikey
Old September 18, 2000, 07:43 AM   #5
TritonCartridge

> I didn't get a copy of the scores so I can't post the results but they should be on the web site shortly.

I have some partial results...

Ernest Langdon, Team Triton – 1st Place Overall, SSP Champion, High Gun Industry.

Dave Savigny, Team Triton – 2d Place Overall, 1st Master SSP

Bryce Linskey, Team Triton – 4th Master ESP

Joe Seuk, Team Triton – 5th Place SSP SS

Oh yeah… they were using Triton’s new Hi-MASTER line of ammo to take these titles.

[This message has been edited by TritonCartridge (edited September 18, 2000).]
Old September 18, 2000, 07:58 AM   #6
Sport

Congrats to Team Triton and thanks to Fernando for sponsoring.
Old September 18, 2000, 08:30 AM   #7
TritonCartridge

Thanks Sport the Team had a great time.

Oh, was wondering what everyone though about the Gel demonstration?

[This message has been edited by TritonCartridge (edited September 18, 2000).]
Old September 18, 2000, 10:53 AM   #8
Mikey

Good thing you guys didn't put anybody over in the ESP/SS class, I'd hate to have to whup up on them

The Gel demonstrations were great - it made my legs feel so silky smooth...

Mikey
Old September 18, 2000, 09:21 PM   #9
Ned Roundtree

Yow! C Riggs is our match director.
You will use cover.
You will shoot tactical.
Of course his other rule is:
Do Not Shoot the Car!

Geez, I wonder if he will figure the rear window of the car is missing? Happened while he was at Nationals.
Old September 19, 2000, 11:12 AM   #10
9x45

The results are out at http://idpa.com/matchresults/2000_na..._nationals.htm
Old September 19, 2000, 04:53 PM   #11
Bubba

Well... I think us redneck Texicans had the most fun. You couldn't miss us. LOL All I can say is Frank is 'da MAN! I think you will have a hard time finding a better match director anywhere in the country.

I second Mikey's comment. It is really nice to have the competitors say nice things about your work. It was a looooong hot 4 days for the SOs. But the look on some of the folks faces after facing that racecar charger.... priceless. One of the best comments: a shooter just finished the first string and was on his way to reload behind cover... he just mumbled.. "WOW"

And FYI... I took 8th CDP SS with your Triton Competion ammo. Do I get my picture on your web site now??? Bubba's Nationals pictures at http://www.dbl-tap.com .

Bubba
Old September 20, 2000, 07:41 AM   #12
TritonCartridge

Bubba,

Yep, I'll put it up. All you need to do is pick out your favorite picture(s) (and not one were all we see if you back) and e-mail it to us. There is a link on our site under the Team Section… towards the bottom… with the address you need to send it to.

Do me a favor and also put your placement and where the picture(s) were taken.

I’ll be keeping any eye out for it!