The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 16, 2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Kewrock

Hello forum.

Last edited by Kewrock; July 16, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old July 16, 2010, 01:42 AM   #2
arcticap

You would want to unload it somehow.
Usually that's done by taking out the cylinder, then the nipples with a nipple wrench, and pushing out the balls using a piece of wooden dowel.
Then you can see how rusted the gun is.
It needs to be cleaned up in order to determine it's overall condition.
That's how to begin to find out what its value is.
The serial number can be looked up on the Ruger website to determine the year of manufacture.

Last edited by arcticap; July 16, 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old July 16, 2010, 02:38 AM   #3
CajunPowder

Do NOT use any metal tools on this gun. You have told us already that you are not a gun enthusiast and we can assume from that you do not have the interest to assemble the proper tools to remove the lead balls and what is probably, surely, powder in the chambers.

I think it would be dangerous for you, with no experience, and with no will, desire, or interest in learning how to unload this FIREARM.

Any spark, near the chamber throats, or near the nipples that have no caps on them can set the powder off in the chambers. Even smoking a cigarette and carelessly flicking an ash and having a cinder land on the gun could set the powder off.

If you removed the cylinder and broke the gun down, you could take it to a dealer and try to sell it, but he's going to discount the gun a great deal as it is dirty and most importantly, it's loaded.

If you take it to the police to get your $100 dollars, and the laws in your town make the possession of powder illegal, I'd say you stand a good chance of getting arressted for possessing the powder ... it's risky.

I'd suggest finding somebody who you know and trust who knows guns and discussing what to do with them.

Removing the lead balls from the chambers takes some doing and you must take care while you are doing this. Following basic gun safety rules while you are doing this is essential and you have to learn those.

Old Timers here and hotshots alike would say this is easy, it's simple. But for somebody with no desire to learn how, and no knowledge, it can be dangerous.

There are people who visit this forum who are missing fingers and have very bad scars and injuries from this hobby, so to just dismiss this is easy is foolish.

Again, I say seek out somebody you TRUST. If you know a veteran of a war, Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam or Korea go to them and ask them what you might do. They might be able to help.

And we will all be glad to continue to help you. Remember, no smoking around that gun.
Old July 16, 2010, 04:00 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Guys, please check me on this

A Ruger Old Army, blued, 7.5 inch barrel in good condition sells for about 400.00 to 450.00, plus shipping which the buyer would routinely be expected to pay.

I second Cap's advice about what to do as a precursor to finding out the condition of the pistol.

I also second Cage's cautions. Be careful around that LOADED pistol. And in order to do much with the pistol three things should be true. (1) The person should be at least moderately mechanically inclined. More inclined is better. (2) The person should know at least a little about black powder firearms, again more is better, and (3) The person should be using a rather specific tool designed for the nipples on this pistol. No person who can't claim all three of these things should try to unload the pistol.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; July 16, 2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old July 16, 2010, 08:16 AM   #5
denster

The description of the gun sounds like it could be an Ruger Old Army while the description of the information on the box sounds like a brass framed 1860 Army. A photo of the gun would help. If it is a Ruger it is worth the trouble to clean it up, using all of the aforementioned cautions, if it is a brass framed 1860 then, while I hate the gun turn ins, probably your best bet is to get the $100 and be done with it.
Old July 16, 2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

Doc Hoy and denster have given good advice.
You have a nice item with some value.
It needs unloading and cleaning. Then you can put up for sale. $400.00 would be a good price to get. If the grips are genuine ivory, probably considerably more.
Old July 16, 2010, 08:38 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

The description of the box does not add up, if possible post a photo.
Old July 16, 2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Kewrock

xx

Last edited by Kewrock; July 16, 2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old July 16, 2010, 09:37 AM   #9
Kewrock

xx

Last edited by Kewrock; July 16, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old July 16, 2010, 09:56 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

That is a Ruger Old Army, no doubt. The box is incorrect for that pistol. The grips are Jay Scott imitation stag. Being broken is bad, replace with original Ruger walnut grips. The gun will clean up OK, do get someone who knows guns to unload and clean for you. A lot of people would like to have that even though it has a bad case of the 'ughs' at the moment.
Old July 16, 2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Jim Watson

If we knew where you were, we could refer you to a shooting range, club, or major dealer who could help.

Ruger no longer makes the Old Army and if unloaded and cleaned up with new grips, it would be worth a good deal more than the $100 the city will pay to get it "off the street."
Old July 16, 2010, 10:44 AM   #12
Kadmos

That's not just loaded, but capped and loaded...pull the trigger and it may very well fire.

Your best bet is to check on a local gunsmith and have it cleaned up a bit, probably wouldn't cost much at all.

Even if they just unloaded it (which they would probably charge less than $50 for) its probably worth at least $300
Old July 16, 2010, 11:20 AM   #13
Doc Hoy

Yup!

I like the 300.00 evaluation.

The pistol itself doesn't look too bad. The sight could be smoothed up which would leave a cosmetic blemish on the pistol. Blasted shame about the grips, because they are nice ones.

I think I would find a place and attempt to clear the rounds through the muzzle. Like the Illustrious Mr. K. I would not be surprised to learn that six of six fire. May require replacing the caps. If you take it to a gunsmith, I bet he would do it thataway.

But now that you know it is also capped, be careful in the extreme.
Old July 16, 2010, 11:26 AM   #14
Andy Griffith

Yes, please tell us what city and state (or country) in which you live. That will make a lot of difference.

There is very little regulation of blackpowder firearms in the U.S. with only a few exceptions inside certain states,for example like New Jersey and Hawaii and cities like Chicago and New York City.

Last edited by Andy Griffith; July 16, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old July 16, 2010, 11:41 AM   #15
arcticap

Here's a copy of the Ruger Old Army user's manual:

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...er_oldarmy.pdf

Since it's capped, you should take it to someone experienced that you trust to unload it or a good gunsmith.
Then after that's been done you can try to clean it up yourself or just sell it for whatever money that you can get for it.
It looks like there could be some rust issues with it that could seriously detract from its value. A reputable gunsmith would be able to look it over and tell you something about it's condition.

Police trade in programs usually have provisions allowing for unlicensed individuals and guns to be brought in. Give them a call to find out. Trading it in might not be such a bad idea since a gunsmith may cost you some money to unload it.

Last edited by arcticap; July 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old July 16, 2010, 12:39 PM   #16
Kewrock

xx

Last edited by Kewrock; July 16, 2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old July 16, 2010, 12:48 PM   #17
orangello

No, the shiny copper nubs are the caps (like an external primer), the nipples under them are/were probably the same color as the cylinder. At least, the nipple on my sidelock matches the gun's barrel. That looks loaded & capped, be careful.
Old July 16, 2010, 01:22 PM   #18
Pahoo

orangello
is correct and I can see that your older model does not have the "Safety Notches" at the rear of the cylinder. I would not feel comforatble until I get those #11 caps off the nipples. Right now and if all components are still in working order, you have a fully loaded handgun. Once you take the caps off, it's considered unloaded and you could proceed to pull or push the main load.
I would suggest that you take it to a gun smith or better yet, someone who knows these. I find that most GunSmiths know very little about M/L's in general.

Pull those caps and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 16, 2010, 01:25 PM   #19
noelf2

If it were me, I'd find a place out in the boonies, pop the 6 rounds into a stump, take it home and clean it. Why pay a smithy. But, if you can't take that chance, then pull the caps (carefully!!!), and fork out a few bucks to get it cleaned up.
Old July 16, 2010, 01:25 PM   #20
ClemBert

Yup, that sucker is capped and ready to fire. BE CAREFUL! I hope the hammer isn't sitting on a capped and loaded chamber because one good whack on the hammer and lead is going to fly. In the condition it is in I'm going to go with $275 because the front sight is dinged and the grips need to be replaced with something more suitable for a fine revolver that it is. Also, I'm going to assume some light rust or other issues from lack of TLC. Additionally, the box is either incorrectly marked in that handwriting or it isn't the right box at all. However, if you clean it up and do all the right things with it then you could fetch $325 to $350.
Old July 16, 2010, 02:05 PM   #21
Kewrock

xx

Last edited by Kewrock; July 16, 2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old July 16, 2010, 02:24 PM   #22
Rifleman1776

All comments about it being capped and 'hot' are good advice. They can be removed but should be by someone with a bit of knowledge about such things. If we were close I would be happy to de-cap, unload and clean up for him at no cost. He does need to find someone who will do this for him.

As for the notches, I have had some of the earliest Old Armies and they all had the notches. I don't recall any talk, ever, of 'notchless' models. But, realistically, him not having any gun savvy, he wouldn't know what to do with the notches.
Old July 16, 2010, 03:30 PM   #23
Pahoo

Kewrock
Don't know how comfortable you might be with this idea but why don't you let the folks in this forum, as "general" location of where you live so they can PM you and get some assist from them. Your Old Army is definitely and early model and after all the smoke clears, might be worth some bucks. I'm just not comfortable having you handle it and who knows why "Old Men" do what they do.

God luck, hang in there and;
Be Safe !!!!

Last edited by Pahoo; July 16, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old July 16, 2010, 03:36 PM   #24
simonkenton

Fascinating thread, great pics.

If you are any where near Asheville NC I would be glad to unload [fire] the gun for you , and clean it.

But I have a feeling you are near Manhatten.
Old July 16, 2010, 03:42 PM   #25
Doc Hoy

Ah

"Why would an 80 year old man with absolutely no gun experience have a loaded relic packed in wax and grease tucked away in his closet."

Perhaps, he was preparing himself for the second coming. Like me, he might be suspicious of what arrives.