The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 4, 2002, 12:03 PM   #1
Sisco

Strangest quarry?

We've done the thread about best tasting, now how about the strangest game you've eaten?
For me it was lizard & bat. Took a JEST (Jungle Environment Survival Training) course in the Phillipines, couldn't bring any food, eat what ya find. The guide brought down a fruit bat - looks like a small dog with wings - with a sling shot and ball bearings, and we captured a lizard that was about 2 feet long.
Lizard wasn't bad, bat tasted like liver.
Old July 4, 2002, 06:32 PM   #2
yorec

Strangeness is in the eye of the beholder...

I've tried many woodland delecasys, including porcupine, muskrat, beaver, snakes of various types, and different insects. BBQ porcupine is one I'd eat almost everyday if I could, yum!

A good bottle of BBQ sauce and some coals will make most meats taste great. Its the wiggly bugs that are hard to get down if you're not really hungry.
Old July 4, 2002, 09:30 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Sweet and sour rat tenders.
Monkey adoble.
Both quite good.

Sam
Old July 4, 2002, 10:24 PM   #4
BobR

Quote:
Took a JEST (Jungle Environment Survival Training) course in the Phillipines,
Did you get to sit in a bamboo thicket and listen to the water running through the plants? Yummmmmmm.....lizard, bat, monkey.
Brings back way to many memories, of course there were the street vendors in Olongopo that sold who knows what!!. But after a few San Magoos....who cared?

bob
Old July 5, 2002, 12:55 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

San Miguel Super Bock. Dark, syrupy, stout and gooood. Little bottle, big hammer.

Sam
Old July 5, 2002, 06:58 AM   #6
Sisco

Oh yeah, street vendor mystery meat. Had it for breakfast nearly every morning!
Ever top one of those San Magoos off with a Balut? Never ate one while sober.
"I may get so drunk I'll have to crawl home, but by God I'll crawl home like a sailor!"
Old July 5, 2002, 09:24 PM   #7
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

According to my brother some of the best "mystery monkey on a stick" he ever had was in Olongopo. He was there courtesy of the USN.

As for me, rattlesnake is pretty tasty, turtle soup is a little fishy And gigged frogs? Just like chicken! And for the record, though I'm from WVa originally I have NEVER met anyone who would or tried to eat a Opposum.

We did eat ants and such in a scouting survival training camp once, they weren't bad.
Old July 6, 2002, 01:35 AM   #8
DadOfThree

Iguana in Panama. We also had our version of street vendors selling mystery meat on shish kabob sticks cooked over a 55 gal barrel. Don't know for sure what it was, but I don't care. It was good. I have also tried groundhog, racoon, and muskrat in the states. I figured if I was shooting or trapping them I should at least see what they tasted like.
James Madison: The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
Mark Douglass
Old July 6, 2002, 06:11 PM   #9
Sisco

I should clarify; I ate the Mystery Meat on a stick UNTIL...
One night I observed a child about 4 or 5 years old gathering the used bamboo skewers off of the sidewalk and gutter. At first I thought this was sad, poor kid has no other toys to play with. Then she took her bounty to mom who recycled them by skewering more mystery meat on them and putting them on the grill. Monkey meat, dog or cat, made no difference to me but reusing sticks from the gutters of Olongapo made me quit eating them for good!
Old July 6, 2002, 06:44 PM   #10
lawdogkms

JEST.....brings back good memories...

Extracting Iodine from a local plant.......making a bamboo pressure cooker........ catching a wild chicken in a snare.....building a fire with nothing but bamboo...

When I was there in 1980, they had an 18 foot Green King Cobra in captivity that was caught in one of the hooches...

If you know anything about cobra's, you know that they can raise 1/3 of their bodies off of the ground in their defense "cobra" stance..

Can you imagine walking through a high-grass field in the P.I. and a 6 foot tall snake popping up and staring you in the face??

You can't really put a tourniquet around your neck or your waist...