The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 07:22 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Value of limited editions

I am watching an auction for a Elliot Bros limited edition S&W PC revolver. They made 500 this one is in the mid 300's. The apearance over the standard S&W is much diferent. But the price for a gently used gun is going over the price of a new standard S&W (non PC) that is similar. This does not appear to have the box with it.
What does the limited edition do for value? It wont be a safe queen either way. I know it boils down to who wants it the most in an auction. I dont want to get caught in the bidding war and pay way to much for the gun.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 6, 2013, 07:52 PM   #2
BoogieMan

I just wanted to bring this back to the top.
Do limited editions have any real value?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 6, 2013, 08:05 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

Limited editions and other examples of "manufactured rarity" usually don't add a lot of value in the long run. It's like those plates from the Franklin Mint.

500 isn't an insignificant number to begin with, and something that's made and marketed as a limited edition is more likely to survive the ravages of time as a safe queen, compared to "regular" guns that are shot, carried, dropped, bought, sold and lost.

Using a car analogy, the 1971 Plymouth Hemicuda convertible is truly "rare" - they only made 11 of them. Not because they were a "limited edition", but rather because they were a weird configuration to begin with; not many people would order the temperamental, expensive Hemi engine in the absolute heaviest version of the Cuda. Hemis made more sense in a lightweight body meant to be used in racing.

But 40+ years later, they're going for $1+ million.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:13 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is interesting, but most of the guns made as colletibles aren't, and the guns made for ordinary use that failed become collectibles.

One common type of collectible gun, the police department commemorative generally goes for about the same price as the standard gun in the same condition, a little less in another state or region.

Jim
Old February 6, 2013, 08:41 PM   #5
savit260

It all depends on how desirable a particular gun is on the market, or to a potential buyer.

It's as simple as that.

Low production numbers, and a desirable combination can command a decent amount of money.

A "Limited Edition" with a limited appeal, isn't going to fetch much, unless you find a buyer that is in "have to have it" mode.

IMO, sometimes the "Limited Edition" part would make it worthe LESS to me.

Example: I recently saw a 5" N frame S&W in 44/40. Model 544, That IMO is a pretty cool combination. However....It's a "Texas Wagon Train Commemerative" with a big engraved logo on the side.

If I had some kind of connection to Texas or Texas Wagon Trains, this could well be something interesting, but being a native New Englander, the big logo on the side kind of fouls an otherwise cool revolver for me. To the right person this could increase the value to them, but to me it's a detractor.

On the other hand, a "Limited Production" Lew Hortan 3" barrel 44 special Model 24 would likely get my attention.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Dragline45

I would pay more for the plain jane base model than I would for a collectible/commemorative edition. All the extra roll marks/laser etching/engraving or whatever on the gun don't interest me at all.

Some of the Talo guns are pretty cool and I would pay a bit more for them. In the case of Talo Ruger revolvers they come in configurations you could not normally get.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:33 AM   #7
BoogieMan

Quote:
Some of the Talo guns are pretty cool and I would pay a bit more for them. In the case of Talo Ruger revolvers they come in configurations you could not normally get
This is more the case with this revolver. It has the number 3xx of 500 on it, but other than that it has standard s&w rollmarks.
In this case its special features are a combination of finish and barrel style that are not otherwise offered.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 7, 2013, 09:08 AM   #8
jonnyc

What's an Elvis Plate worth? Can you eat off of it?
Old February 7, 2013, 10:06 AM   #9
BoogieMan

Quote:
This isnt a elvis plate, although I understand where you are coming from.
This is more like a Mustang GT -vs- a Saleen Mustang. Both are bad azz, but one is prodeced in a limited number and has a bit more performance and style.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 7, 2013, 10:18 AM   #10
SgtLumpy

Quote:
JohnnyC wrote:
Makes a great 1200 yard target

Quote:
Boogie Man wrote:
This is more like a Mustang GT -vs- a Saleen Mustang. Both are bad azz, but one is prodeced in a limited number and has a bit more performance and style.
Both are the product of some marketing people attempting to convince me that I "deserve" to pay more for this particular Mustang instead of something less expensive. Bottom line in those two vehicles is that I paid more than the next guy. So I want that next guy to admire me. Having a higher monthly loan bill is the only true difference. "Wow Lumpy, you've got a cool car" simply means "Wow Lumpy, you chose to pay more for your material object".

I'm not a fan at all of any "manufactured rarity" widgets, cars, guns or anything else. What makes them rare is simply that the advertising people deliberately made them rare. That kind of attachment to a physical object does absolutely nothing to increase it's worth to me.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old February 7, 2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Slamfire

Every thing is a limited edition.

Even Volkswagen Beetles were a limited edition. Only 21 Million were made, and they are not making any more.

When you buy Gun Blue Books, the pages of limited editions of M1911's, M1894's, etc, fill chapters.

A limited edition might be worth more if in absolutely unfired, unplayed with condition.

If it has been fired, then it has zero collector value if there was ever any additional value due to collectability.

What you want to look for is features. Are the features things you want?

I have a 1988 M25-7 S&W in 45 LC. Only 2500 made. It has a heavy 5" barrel and unfluted cylinder. I like these features, and if they made a stainless version I would pay slightly more for these features.

Old February 7, 2013, 11:56 AM   #12
BoogieMan

Great advice guys. I guess it boils down to if I want to pay a little more for the features that the edition offers. Its a performance center with a teardrop barrel thats been fired. Its currently going for the same price as a non PC new in the box standard model XVR. I probably wont ever resell anyway, I was just curious if it demanded a higher value.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 7, 2013, 01:50 PM   #13
BigJimP

The XVR isn't a bad gun.../ but neither is it a "popular gun" ??

I have about 25 S&W revolvers/and they're some of my favorite guns...and I know a lot of collectors/shooters that have twice that many S&W's ....and all of us keep looking at the XVR's ...but none of us have added them to our collections..

Its a combination of the weight, caliber, etc....and at the right price, I may add one someday --- but I don't think I'd shoot it very much / so I just keep looking at them. Last one I saw locally was a Performance Center gun, 10" barrel I think ...and it sold, lightly used, for about $ 1,200..../ but it was in the sales case, of a local shop, for at least a year ( and it just sold 3 weeks ago -- during all this frenzy )....because the guy thought it was cool..