The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 30, 2000, 11:04 PM   #1
beastman

I am trying to figure out what would be a good backpack/survival/trunk gun. I had some excellent feedback in the rifles forum. I am now leaning a little towards shotguns (or combo guns). What is the best, lightest (yet still quality) small shotgun that can be taken down (and put together) easily, and that will fit in a backpack. A gun that folds into a small package is also okay. current leader: M-6 scout combo gun. I would, however, maybe like something a little more powerful. Again, the limiting factor is size when taken-down or when folded. I also want light weight. 20 or 12 ga is okay.

Thanks.

(I don't want much, do I? )
Old May 1, 2000, 06:06 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Savage Model 24s shine here. These are the combo guns, usually 22LR over 20 ga. Inexpensive, reliable, and effective.Breaks down into a small package..
Old May 1, 2000, 08:00 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

If you don't mind used, several older shotguns came in takedown versions as well as solid-frame versions. The Winchester models 97 and 12 and several of the Malins come to mind. As with all used firearms, have it looked over by a gunsmith before using.
Old May 1, 2000, 08:24 AM   #4
gunmart

i use a dbl barrel coach gun.it takes down and fits in my gym bag.i dont look weird cking into motels with it.it says nike on the side.heheheh.
Old May 1, 2000, 08:35 PM   #5
6forsure

that take-down win 97 was sweet in the movie bullit
Old May 3, 2000, 11:14 AM   #6
EXPLORER

I second Gunmart. I camp (but do not hike) with a 20" double barrel 12-gauge Stoeger coach gun. It breaks down into two pieces easily. Be aware of the concealed weapons laws in your area if you plan to have it completely inside the pack.
Old May 4, 2000, 01:27 AM   #7
Clead

I have a Winchester Model 12 riot gun in 12 gauge that breaks down into two 20" pieces. I can carry it in my knapsack and have done so on occasion in the city, like on Y2K eve.
No-one has any idea, and it would take me less than 10 seconds to assemble and load it. I highly recommend it. Only downside is no 3" magnum, but who needs it anyway.
Old May 4, 2000, 11:35 AM   #8
Shin-Tao

NEF single barrel 12 bore. Take the barrel down to 18.5 inches. Thing weighs nothing. Comes apart into two sections, packs easy. Set you back like 80 bucks. Slap a shell carrier on the stock and you have a handy, subtle 12 bore.

Or, if that doesn't strike you as good, try a Mossberg 500. Barrel taken down to 18.5 again, get a folding stock. The Moss is lighter than the Rem 870, better for road marches or hiking.

Good luck comrade
Old May 5, 2000, 08:00 AM   #9
gunmart

my coach gun has one of the new neopream butt cuff on it that holds 5 extra shells.i omted for the russial backlia rather than the iga.i think the quality is alot better.