The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2010, 08:03 PM   #1
RottShot

Shotgun Wear/Maintenance Question

I'm new to shotguns (and this forum), and am not sure if what I have is a problem or normal wear. I recently purchased a remington 870 express and after puting maybe 30 shells through it (plus likely the same amount of non-firing slide action), I have developed a nice scratch just under the slide on the very bottom of the mag tube.

I have noticed from pictures and some older used shotguns that slide wear in this area is normal, but I didn't expect to see this level of wear so soon. The single scratch has just about made it's way through the black coating. If it's a problem, I want to address it while it's new.

Also, are their any particular maintenance steps I should take to protect this area? I don't care about keeping it pretty, just protected.
Old January 11, 2010, 08:23 PM   #2
xm21

It is normal,ones will also develop at 12,3,and 9 o'clock on the magazine tube.
Old January 11, 2010, 09:05 PM   #3
StuntManMike

Just keep it well oiled. I like Eezox for this.

Also, the finish on an 870 Express is its worst feature so you could always send it off for something like NP3.
Old January 11, 2010, 10:39 PM   #4
RottShot

Thanks for the quick replies. Good to know not to be surprised by more. I'll keep it well oiled and pick up some eezox.
Old January 11, 2010, 11:25 PM   #5
the rifleer

yep, that finish sure looks nice doesn't it? take some pictures because its not going to be there for long.its normal. even if you get it all lubed up (it only takes a few drops to lube the whole shotgun) its still going to have the finish wear off. out side it will look great, but anytime you have metal rubbing against metal, its going to wear a little.

Its nothing to worry about, that shotgun will last years upon year and thousands and thousands of shells if you keep it well maintained. shoot, even if you dont maintain it it will still last a few decades.

ps- dont over oil the gun either, that is bad too. if you have too much you get dirt in it and it wears it out even faster.
Old January 12, 2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Lee Lapin

Read the owners manual, learn to field strip the gun, and take the forearm assembly off the magazine tube every so often and clean the whole area, including inside the forearm tube, and keep it lubed properly (that is, lightly).

Wear in that area, on the action bars and the bolt body is a GOOD THING- it denotes experience! The more the better.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

The 870 wears the magazine tube in small scratch-like marks.
This is because the inside of the action bar assembly that fits around the magazine tube has small pad-like dimples in the action bar assembly.
These small pads are "wear pads" that prevent the entire action bar assembly from wearing all the finish off the magazine tube.

On older design guns its common to see the entire magazine tube worn completely bare of finish. The 870's wear pads prevent this.
Look inside the action bar tube and you'll see these small pads.
Old January 12, 2010, 08:14 PM   #8
RottShot

Thanks again for all of the great info. I plan to keep it well maintained, and well used, works for my handguns. I didn't know about the dimples, wondered why some seemed to wear more uniformly.

Any tips on removing the forearm off of the magazine tube? I have the 2 shot factory extension, and the factory manual really doesn't refer to it.

I'm new to the forum, and really appreciate all the great information and quick replies.
Old January 12, 2010, 08:23 PM   #9
rantingredneck

Remove magazine clamp screw.
Remove magazine clamp.
Unscrew threaded extension (take care that the spring doesn't poke you in the eye).
Unscrew threaded extension nut (may need padded pliers here)
Open action 1/2 way and remove barrel.
Slide forearm forward.
The action bars will hang on the shell stops.
Reach in the loading gate and press the right shell stop while pulling forward. It'll advance just a hair. press left shell stop and forearm assembly comes off.

Reverse process to reinstall.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 12, 2010, 09:29 PM   #10
guitar1580

Hi Rott, I've only been here since Dec, so I'm new too ... but I've found that most everyone is very helpful and knowledgeable.

I'm expecting my 870 Wingmaster to be delivered this week, an older one I'm buying from a friend, and I had similar questions about field stripping etc. Someone suggested looking on youtube, and since then, I've found great youtube vids of gun comparisons, reviews, field stripping instructions, etc.

I found some really good ones demonstrating the 870, you may have to look through a few to find the best one. They were very helpful for me. That little trick that "redneck" mentions with the action bars & removing the forearm is much easier to comprehend after you see someone else do it on video. Good luck.

Josh P
Old January 12, 2010, 10:47 PM   #11
RottShot

Thanks all. I'll give removal a try this weekend, sounds straight forward enough. Never thought of the videos, thanks for the suggestion. It's great to have access to the knowledge in this group.

Good luck with the Wingmaster guitar; new to shotguns myself but I'm really enjoying this one.

Tags
870 , maintenance , shotgun