The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 18, 2001, 11:50 AM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I departed SHOT on Sunday for a night at Rough Creek Lodge, outside Dallas, with Ashley Emerson. This was a trip I had purchased at the Irlene Mandrell Celebrity Shoot ( http://www.catalystpro.com/IMCS/ ), and it was well worth it.

We spent an afternoon and the following morning shooting quail, chukka and pheasant on the Rough Creek preserve. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are Five Star affairs (literally) and accomodations are First Class only. All in all, we killed some 70+ birds which they processed, vacuum packed and provided us in airline approved coolers. I'd have been willing to settle for just watching the dogs work!

Rough Creek is to be recommended to any willing to spend their kids' college fund on hunting. Prices run about $1000 per day, inclusive of Beretta Shotguns, ammunition, unlimited birds, lodging and meals. Clearly, if you are only interested in hunting, you can find better deals. If you want the total experience you'll get it at Rough Creek. A great romantic getaway for the idle rich couple who both enjoy bird hunting...shapely female applicants may apply by email at [email protected]

From there we flew down to Kerrville for an exotics hunt that was also purchased at Irlene's auction for the Wish Upon A Star Foundation. I settled on Indian Black Buck. After about 4 hours, we located a truly hansdome male in a herd and twice attempted to get closer. The final shot was taken at 150 yards with the .308 LURCR rifle and Winchester 168gr Silvertips. As usual, I held about 2" too high; this combined with the 200 yard zero of the rifle placed the shot about 5" above the boiler room.

All's well that ends well. The silvertip destroyed the Buck's breathing apparatus and shoulder blade, punching a vital section of spine and CNS out thru a fist sized exit. I've never seen a wild animal do a back flip before...this one actually did and died in his shadow. 30+ lbs of meat are expected along with one helluva shoulder mount to follow.

Rich
Old January 18, 2001, 12:09 PM   #2
TC

Congratulations on your buck Rich!

Those both sound like great experiences! (whistful sigh) someday...

P.S.

You never answered my question in the Sasquatch thread over in the GD forum
Old January 18, 2001, 06:10 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sounds like a good way to start the New Millenium, for sure!

I used to stop in at the YO, years back, just visiting. I had a couple of friends who guided there, and Charley Three Schreiner was usually up to some sort of nefarious activity. Fun country, around there.

, Art
Old January 18, 2001, 07:14 PM   #4
Dave R

Sounds like a great coupla days. Thanks for the story. That .308 Win Silvertip performed pretty well, eh? I've tried the 180gr Silvertips but not the 168s. Will have to grab a box.
Old January 19, 2001, 12:20 AM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Dave-
Black Buck runs only about 90lbs. For that, I thing the Silvertip is perfect. When it comes to heavier game like Elk, Kudu or hard-dying game like Anerican hog I'll take the better penetrators like Woodleigh Weldcore or Partitions.

Of note in this regard:
When we came up to the animal it's eyes were not yet glazed and, though very labored, it was still breathing. I put a second round between it's shoulder blades for the heart....it never exited, though the Buck made the trip to the Great Beyond on impact. The Silvertips do massive damage but are intended to expand/fragment maximally.
Rich
Old January 19, 2001, 01:20 AM   #6
kjm

Rich,
You shoulda hollered at me when you were in Kerrpatch. I'm glad you got your blackbuck. They make beautiful mounts. I'm still tryin' for mine.