The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 07:43 AM   #1
BullseyePrecision

Gun and Ammo Rush.. dying down?

Anyone else experience this where there at? I'm in SE KS and was at my LGS last night and they had 20 + ARs sitting on the shelves and a huge stock of 5.56 ammo and 223 ammo. And they weren't flying off of the shelves.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:29 AM   #2
kayakersteve

Did you happen to check the prices - Maybe they are too inflated for people to jump??
Old January 9, 2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Silent Bob

A local shop has had a fair stock of 9mm sitting on the shelf for a few days, but when you look a the price tag, you understand why, it is now selling for five dollars a box more than what it used to sell for.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:06 AM   #4
jmortimer

Much of the attention has been with the black guns, but there is a general demand that has not abated, powder, primers, what-have-you.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Don P

Lets see here, sort of like the real estate bubble. I need to have a, AR-15 because they might be banned, so I'll pay $1,800-$2,500 for a $700 AR and when all is said and done I now own a AR-15 that is actually worth 1/3 of its purchase price and then complain that I lost my shirt when I sell it. Folks here in FLA are jumping through hoops and spending way more for AR's than they are worth as well as ammo. The folks are spending $1.00 per round for 223. Total lunacy in my opinion. Would I like to own an AR yes, do I need one, in reality no, nor do I need an Ak. I managed to live until now and not own either and I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'll live the rest of my life just fine without owning either rifle.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:57 AM   #6
kayakersteve

@DonP - No need to go out on a limb....Your friendly politician will take care of that for you!
Old January 9, 2013, 11:28 AM   #7
BullseyePrecision

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakersteve View Post
Did you happen to check the prices - Maybe they are too inflated for people to jump??
Nope not inflated. Box of 556 was 7 dollars I didn't think that was bad. And the ars weren't bad either
Old January 9, 2013, 12:23 PM   #8
thebrassmonkeys

$7 for 556? for a 20rd box that is 35c a rd. the cheapest i have seen 223
non black friday, non russian-chinese was aguila at $15 per 50 or 30c each

i find 35c for 556 v hard to believe in small boxes the brass alone for good 556
like Lake city is about 15c once fired + 3c primer + 15c bullet + 7c powder + packaging and margin mimimum 50c each i would expect
Old January 9, 2013, 12:26 PM   #9
spacecoast

Quote:
I managed to live until now and not own either and I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'll live the rest of my life just fine without owning either rifle.
Hey Don, just in case you get a hankering to spend $3K on an AK (hey, that rhymes) please look me up, local sale.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:53 PM   #10
BullseyePrecision

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrassmonkeys View Post
$7 for 556? for a 20rd box that is 35c a rd. the cheapest i have seen 223
non black friday, non russian-chinese was aguila at $15 per 50 or 30c each

i find 35c for 556 v hard to believe in small boxes the brass alone for good 556
like Lake city is about 15c once fired + 3c primer + 15c bullet + 7c powder + packaging and margin mimimum 50c each i would expect
Well believe it
Old January 9, 2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

It's not dying down. A quick search on AcuSport (the largest industry distributor) shows only three semiautomatic rifles in stock: the Mossberg 915, the Remington 597, and a Citadel M1 Carbine, all in .22 LR.

The foot traffic at retail might be slacking, but that's because there's no product at the moment. In a couple of weeks, stock will replenish, which will be just in time for whatever bill Feinstein's proposing to hit the airwaves.

Then it'll start all over again. It's going to be a long year.
Old January 9, 2013, 01:28 PM   #12
thebrassmonkeys

bullseye what brand was the 556 at $7.

fineheadstampbrass and brassmanbrass are almost totally sold out of every calibre inc range brass so surprised if loaded factory new still available at that px.

did you buy it all?
Old January 9, 2013, 03:37 PM   #13
berettaprofessor

Quote:
I'm in SE KS and was at my LGS last night and they had 20 + ARs sitting on the shelves and a huge stock of 5.56 ammo and 223 ammo
Care to list the town? I'd drive 3 hours for that. I'm in NE Kansas and haven't seen 5.56 or 9 mm at any store for 20 miles for 4 weeks. I've checked 3 locals, 2 pawn shops, and the usual Walmart/farm stores. Even Orschleins was cleaned out. There's a little high end 22LR left (like Eley) but no bulk packs or even Wolf Match.

Stopped into Walmart yesterday to see if anything had been restocked. It hasn't. They did have some 45Auto at $20/50 and I bought a bit; got to have something to shoot without breaking into the stash!
Old January 9, 2013, 03:44 PM   #14
dos0711

With Biden making noise about Obama exploring executive powers I would imagine that the buying just ramped up again.
Old January 9, 2013, 03:47 PM   #15
Ben Towe

Quote:
Care to list the town? I'd drive 3 hours for that.
Me too. Reasonable 5.56 has gone the way of the dinosaur around here.
Old January 9, 2013, 04:05 PM   #16
BullseyePrecision

Its in Pittsburg they limit each customer to two boxes
Old January 9, 2013, 04:16 PM   #17
coachteet

Quote:
Nope not inflated. Box of 556 was 7 dollars I didn't think that was bad. And the ars weren't bad either
Buy a couple of the AR's then. Trade one for 2 or 3x the value for a low demand gun, maybe a high end wheel gun.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:52 PM   #18
Rmart30

I got a email that some 7.62 I backordered the week after the school shooting was back in stock and shipping. Also found a LGS that had wolf 223 in stock at $219/500 with a limit of 2 per customer..... same ammo a month ago was $149 there. They also had 30+ mini 14/30 , 20 rd mags. $10 higher than they were a month ago.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:05 PM   #19
BigD_in_FL

Dying down?

It is just getting started, wait as the laws start getting enacted
Old January 9, 2013, 11:50 PM   #20
breakingcontact

Quote:
The foot traffic at retail might be slacking, but that's because there's no product at the moment.
Was at a sporting goods store and an LGS today and this is what I noticed, they just don't have hardly anything to sell.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:53 PM   #21
Kimio

My LGS and local wallmart are practically cleaned out from what I've seen since I last went there, it's insane.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:05 AM   #22
Xaak

inventory

I have visited four gun shows and three gun retail stores in Virginia since the holidays. Taking into account a lot of the purchases were just that, holiday spending, I have seen things trickling back in and going right back out.

The semi-auto rifles are coming in, as one person I deal with in a store told me, its just that they are usually gone within a few hours of being on display. Magazines appear to be a hard find, but they still are available by some at gun shows, retailers have the, but a PMAG 5.56 is now 29.97.

Ammunition has been very sparse, some becoming available but not in enough quantities to fill the shelves and feed the ban frenzied public. I have even talked to some people who are purchasing to stock pile. They're not prepping. They're not afraid of the Mayans or the Asteroids... most claim it is an investment and expect 200+% turn around inside of the year.

I'm not sure I get it. Honestly, I didn't buy into the whole thing the last time the bans had legs. Is this the same, worse or what compared to that? I'd sure like your opinions if you been through it.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:24 AM   #23
HK_Flo

Stopped by walmart on the way home. They had a sign up saying "limit six boxes per customer"

They had all the pistol calibers but no .223 that I saw. No .22lr bulk packs but a few boxes of 50/100.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:41 AM   #24
spacecoast

I've been watching Wal-Mart for the last couple of weeks. No .22LR or any kind or any practice grade semi-calibers that I've seen. Lots of the premium centerfire stuff, but nobody really needs more than a box of those.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:13 AM   #25
spanishjames

Luckygunner has Blazer brass 9mm for about $16.00 a box in bulk, if anyone's interested. Yesterday they had a different brand for 15.00 a box. Ammo is out there, just not at the prices we were use to.