The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old March 19, 2012, 02:24 PM   #1
rifleman8

appalachian trail options

Hey all! My friend and I are planning to do a 3 or 4 day section of the Appalachian Trail in PA this summer. This is something I don't want to do without a firearm (more for people protection than animal). However, I'm not 21 yet, so a handgun is out of the equation. Would it be legal to openly carry a shotgun? It would be ideal if I could just throw it on a sling and have it just in case. As far as security and scaring other hikers, we don't plan on staying in any of the shelters or going into town so I'm not worried about that. I just want to know if it is legal to carry a long gun on the trail. Thanks!
Old March 19, 2012, 03:26 PM   #2
BlueTrain

Leaving aside the controversy about being armed while hiking the A-Trail, some parts of the trail go through public hunting reserves. In fact, I've met and spoke to one or two hunters camped out in a shelter in Virginia north of Manassas Gap. It is conceivable that carrying a shotgun or rifle would be more problematic from a hunting regulation perspective than for any other reason. Part of the trail even goes very near Camp David, too, but that's in Maryland, which is usually considered far too dangerous to even enter.
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 19, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Wyoredman

Why don't you come out West and hike some of the Continental Divide Trail. You would be in the minority if you did not have a gun!
Old March 19, 2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Onward Allusion

Have you looked at the Kel-Tec Sub 2000? Folds down into something very unobtrusive and unfolds rather quickly.
Old March 19, 2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Go to the Appalachian Trail organization's website here:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki.../health-safety

They talk about firearms in the Crime section.

"ATC discourages the carrying of firearms. Although carrying is now legal on National Park Service lands in states where they are allowed on state parklands, provided you have all the proper state and county permits, they could be turned against you or result in an accidental shooting, and they are extra weight most A.T. hikers find unnecessary."

Yikes. Drinking the VPC/Brady/Josh Sugarman koolaide, they are.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 19, 2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
they could be turned against you or result in an accidental shooting, and they are extra weight most A.T. hikers find unnecessary.
That is, most AT hikers find a weapon unnecessary until the first night they spend in a shelter. You meet some interesting folks on the Trail.
Old March 19, 2012, 10:40 PM   #7
rwilson452

It is my understanding that in PA an FFL can't sell you a pistol but you may possess one at 18. You Can't carry concealed nor have it in a vehicle. If your going the distance by shanks mare your legal except for state parks, maybe. a new law may have changed that. we are still waiting for clarification.
Old March 20, 2012, 11:41 AM   #8
ltc444

Concure with Wyo. Come out west and hike those trails. You will see more than trees and access some great trout fishing. I love the Macy and Rainbow trails near Westcliffe CO.
Old March 20, 2012, 03:10 PM   #9
BlueTrain

Sounds like the Applachian Trail is much to dangerous to even be on. I'd just stay away if I were you.
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 20, 2012, 04:11 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've hiked some sections of the trail, guys.

It is QUITE beautiful.

Trivia...

The largest town through which the trail physically passes?

Duncannon, Pennsylvania, population about 1,500.

Old March 20, 2012, 07:01 PM   #11
markallen

I have never hiked through, but have done some sections in Maryland, the Whites in New Hampshire, and almost all the trail in Virginia.
I have never had a problem where I felt the need to pull a gun. Not that I wasn't armed.
99% of the people you will meet, or encounter on the trail, are there for the same reason you are. The only time I felt uncomfortable were the sections of the trail closest to the trail heads along Skyline Drive in Virginia. Weekenders would party in the trail heads, and some would venture onto the trail drunk. I never had trouble, but when you have been on the trail for the last seven days, it can kind of shock you how loud drunk people can be.
Get a big knife, and carry it on your hip at all times, you will use it more then you would ever need to use a gun. And I mean camp chores not Zombie chasing.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:38 PM   #12
wally626

I do not the exact route of the trail through VA, but VA does ban the carry of guns in state and national forest land unless it is hunting season and you have a licience. Concealed CArry Permit holders can carry handguns.
Old March 21, 2012, 06:50 AM   #13
noelf2

Wally I believe you are wrong. Gov McDonnell changed that to be consistent with VA law.
Old March 21, 2012, 07:09 AM   #14
BlueTrain

There have been a couple of murders on the Applachian Trail. Two women hiking together were killed in their sleep several years ago. So in addition to carrying a gun, you'll need to stay awake all the time.

There was another case more recently in which someone approached someone at their campsite and attempted to shoot them when they were looking the other way. I believe they fellow noticed in time and managed to escape but not without being wounded. I also recall that the man was later apprehended.

So that's, uh, three cases that I know of. Pretty dangerous. I don't go anymore myself.
Buy War Bonds.

Last edited by BlueTrain; March 24, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old March 21, 2012, 07:53 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

"So that's, uh, three cases that I know of. Pretty dangerous. I don't go anymore myself."

Three cases out of thousands of through hikers and what, millions of casual hikers?

It's a crime epidemic!

Is there crime on the trail, ranging from petty theft, assault, and a lot worse?

Yes.

Is it rampant, pervasive, and widespread?

There's nothing that supports that.

It appeas that the trail is about as crime prone as a moderate-sized American city, and that's primarily at areas nearest roads, parks, and other areas where people tend to congregate.

Old March 21, 2012, 10:17 AM   #16
BlueTrain

In all seriousness, there can be a problem with vehicle vandalism and break-ins some places, although that's never happened to me (yet). There are other dangers on the trail--any trail. Personally, from my own experiences and those of others I've known, the biggest danger is from falls, which curiously enough, is true at home, too. I have read that the biggest cause of injuries and deaths while camping is from falling trees and tree limbs, though I've never actually read of such an instance.

I would say that carrying a firearm is uncommon amonst "true" hikers, particularly thru-hikers, but there are also those who have always had a handgun with them even when it was illegal, which I suppose makes them bad guys.
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:42 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

"the biggest danger is from falls"

Damn straight.

There are a number of sections of the trail through central Pennsylvania that have pretty steep dropoffs to the sides.

Hawk Rock overlooking Duncannon is one hell of a drop if you go over.

There are other places where there's no real dropoffs but the ground is still VERY rocky. I've seen more than a few day hikers with sprained feet or ankles.

Old March 21, 2012, 11:05 AM   #18
ltc444

You also need to remember that the Rangers train around Dalanga GA. More than one innocent hiker has tripped an ambuse on the Trail which run though the training areas. I remember when the planners forgot to note that it was a three day holiday and we hit a normally closed campground that was full. We started pulling people out of their campers and tents. The TAC NCOs Stopped it but I'm sure that some people had some tails to tell and the PIO had his hands full.
Old March 21, 2012, 03:41 PM   #19
langenc

I cant help you w/ gun laws/

Id suggest a good pepper spray-concealled but readily available. Legal??

Hope so.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:43 PM   #20
Addicted2Shooting

When I was in Gatlinburg TN on my way to Cherokee NC last year, I remember seeing a sign posted on the AT that said no firearms. Being as I've always got mine on me, my girlfriend snapped a picture of me by the trail head with my springfield champion printing on through my shirt
Old March 22, 2012, 10:03 AM   #21
rifleman8

Thanks for the help guys. Basically it seems that handguns are legal on the trail (at least in PA) because they are now legal to CCW in a state park. I believe long guns are still regulated by hunting seasons but please correct me if I'm wrong. Essentially it would be illegal for me to carry an uncased shotgun in the summer unless it coincided with crow season. Unfortunately, I'm probably going to scrap this hike until I'm 21. I really don't want to hike without a firearm, and I definitely don't want to be fined or have my hunting license taken for violating some gun law.
Old March 22, 2012, 10:32 AM   #22
Water-Man

Having hiked various sections of this trail for many years, I can say that I've never come across another hiker carrying a long gun.

It's always a good idea to hike with another person for obvious reasons. Even when starting out alone, you'll almost always come across other hikers who will be pleased to have you join them.

W-M
Old March 22, 2012, 12:36 PM   #23
BlueTrain

From my experiences wandering around in Shenandoah National Park, the G.W. National Forest, and on the Applachian Trail north of the Park to beyond I66, I've never seen anyone who looked the least bit scary, suspicious, or particularly well rested, for that matter. I've seen young women hiking alone, groups of up to about twenty, old men and women, young men along or in pairs and even younger couples. I've seen relatively few children. I have seen armed rangers, however. I have also been up there on the 4th of July and never passed anyone of the trail.

I have seen bears, many, many deer, but no other large animals, no possums, raccoons, snakes, groundhogs, foxes, coyotes or wolves, most of which I have seen, however, from the deck of my house.
Buy War Bonds.

Last edited by BlueTrain; March 24, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old March 23, 2012, 08:40 PM   #24
MLeake

Of the factors listed by the ATC folks, the only one I'd agree with would be the weight.

If the OP hasn't, he should read A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson, an entertaining book about an out-of-shape 44 year old (Bryson, at the time) who decides to hike the AT. It's funny and a good read, but he puts a lot of emphasis on minimizing weight, and the items he and his hiking buddy found they really didn't need. (Firearms were not mentioned.)

I certainly would not wish to lug a rifle or shotgun along on the AT.
Old March 23, 2012, 09:07 PM   #25
zxcvbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-man
It's always a good idea to hike with another person for obvious reasons. Even when starting out alone, you'll almost always come across other hikers who will be pleased to have you join them.
If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity the fool who falls and has no one to help him up. —Eccl 4:10 (I took a slight liberty with the translation)
Closed Thread