The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 4, 2008, 06:37 PM   #1
swfl1

Mossberg 500 12 g Pistol grip Home Protection

Today I purchased a Mossberg 12 Gauge Pistol Grip shotgun called the "Persuader". The guy recommended I get Buck shots "00" for home protection. I read that some people recommend loads a little bit more toned down. I am concerned about collateral damage with my family. One guy said if I used something less potent I would need to spakle and paint my walls but if I ever used the 00 I would need a new wall. I need your help in finding a load that would work in a home defense scenario but not have to worry about my family. I would also like something with a little less recoil. Thanks for your help.
Old May 4, 2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Scattergun Bob

swfl1

Tune in to the can of worms thread, your question is being answered right now.

As far as home improvement after the event, I feel that is a non-issue, the issue is stopping the predator RIGHT NOW. Your concern for your family and collateral damage is thoughtful and you need to make sure that your field of fire insulates your family from harm.

Hope this helps, tune into the tread below yours.

Good Luck and be safe
Old May 4, 2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Smitty in CT

Congrats on the gun and congrats on asking the right questions...

I order to keep you family safe you will need to become proficient in using your new shotgun.

In order to become more proficient, you'll need to practice a lot!!.

In order to practice a lot, you're going to probably want a full length stock on your shotgun. Try shooing the gun with the pistol grip, see how you do, most folks get better control and using a full stock will help you spread the recoil to more parts of your body than just your wrist....

As far as what load, personally, I wouldn't go any smaller than #4 Buckshot...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old May 6, 2008, 11:12 AM   #4
MrApathy

pistol grip is nice for compactness in close quarters and storage but its best to have a side folder otherwise go with a regular stock.

#4 buck would be better choice with dry wall. bird shot in 7-8 size will penetrate less but range of wall is a factor but its not too good for defense due to low penetration.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old May 6, 2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Csspecs

New wall? Why would you need that? It's like a 3/4 inch hole for a slug 1 1/2 tops. Spackle and paint.

Odds are you will get through your whole life without shooting someone in your house, don't worry about the paint it's a non-issue.