The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 4, 2000, 10:36 PM   #1
DS

Hi I have a problem, I am hoping you guys can help me out. I just ordered a 590 A1, with the understanding from the distributor and dealer that the unit came with a heat shield. I really like the way they look. But when it showed up, no heat shield. I was wondering how many of you guys out there have one of these, and wanted to make sure that they are supposed to have a heat shield. I did not order ghost ring sights. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old March 5, 2000, 05:34 AM   #2
cheyenne

I bought my 590 with ghost ring sights.
I liked the heat shield but after contacting Mossberg I was told you couldn't fix a Mossberg heat shield on it.
Finally I ordered one from Tac-Star and installed it on the gun.Looks great indeed.
Tac-Star heat shield should gp with your gun.Hope this will help.
Old March 5, 2000, 09:24 AM   #3
Mike Baugh

The 590A1 does not come with a heatshield , only the standard 590 has one . I dont think you can put the Mossberg heatshield on the A1 because of the thicker barrel . I believe the heatshield is more for looks than function . Good luck , Mike...
Old March 5, 2000, 02:33 PM   #4
Squirrel_Bait

Take a box of birdshot (whatever is on sale) to a range and blast about 12 rounds at a target, then feel your barrel. If it's too hot to touch then you might need a heat shield. If you just want to get one anyway, go ahead. It won't make it shoot any better but will look more impressive to most bad guys.
Old March 6, 2000, 12:42 AM   #5
jcoyoung

Other than the looks, does anybody really have a need for a heat sheild? I just came back from some shooting and I did do the long string of shells through my 590 (no heatsheild). The barrel did get too hot to touch. My soloution?: Don't touch the barrel!

Unless you plan on repelling droves of burglars or pirates, then grab your barrel afterwards, I don't see a need for a heat sheild.

Just my honest opinion.

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side