The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 28, 2009, 03:12 PM   #1
katana8869

Your prefered t-shirt and jeans carry method and why, IWB vs OWB

So, I have been licensed to carry since 1992 and I have always prefered IWB for extra concelment. Since I live in Florida the "dress code of the day" is either jeans or shorts and a t-shirt.

As I get closer to 40 I find my waistline (ahem!) expanding and though I still find IWB to be comfortable, I don't feel like it is as easy to grab the gun and draw as it once was. I have a couple of cheap OWB holsters laying around, but they do not conceal very well IMO. So, I am undecided as to whether to spend the money on a good OWB or to just stick with what I've got.

So with that said let's hear what everyone has to say about their experiences and preferences with IWB vs OWB
Old February 28, 2009, 03:38 PM   #2
curt.45

IWB and a 44 inch waist, hopefully I'll never find out if I can get to it time.
but I'll sure try.
Old February 28, 2009, 03:59 PM   #3
kraigwy

I carry my 642 in my pants pocket, no matter what I'm wearing.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 28, 2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Don H

3" Kimber .45, pocket-carried.
Old February 28, 2009, 06:27 PM   #5
katana8869

I pocket carry a J-frame once in awhile. Pocket carry definately has it's place. This is about OWB and IWB though
Old February 28, 2009, 06:35 PM   #6
hoytinak

I've gain a few pounds myself since I got out of the military and my main carry setup is still the HK P2000SK IWB (Milt Sparks VMII). I can carry this year round here in Texas even with jeans/shorts & t-shirt. If for some reason I can't get by with the P2000SK (which is VERY rare) the LCP rides in the pocket.

Old February 28, 2009, 07:00 PM   #7
rantingredneck

I'm actually heading in the other direction, losing weight, due to my recent rededication to the gym. Even at my heaviest (240lbs at 6'0") I preferred my SP101 in an IWB from AKJ Concealco. I'm down about 12lbs and have gone in a notch on my beltman belt, but the gun remains the same for light clothing carry.

I just picked up a Don Hume JIT slide for my SP101 from a member here and it's working well under a light jacket. I think it'll work under a t-shirt too but haven't had the opportunity yet to give it a go.

Like Hoyt, though I've got an LCP in my pocket if my clothing somehow won't let me carry something larger.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 28, 2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Dave P

Iwb appendix. Kydex. Easy to cOnceal
Old March 1, 2009, 12:06 PM   #9
Superhouse 15

IWB

I use IWB all the time in FL, usually with an open shirt and T shirt or a Guyabarra. I'm a bit more pear shaped than average, too. I use Fist holsters and a local leather maker for belts. I prefer OWB only for open carry of revolvers that are too big for IWB, and then usually only at the gunshop where I don't care who sees it and prefer to show it off.
Old March 1, 2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

IWB with a Milt Sparks VMII - all you need to conceal it is a t-shirt over the top. It works best with really slim pistols (Hi-Powers, 1911s) but it works with a wide variety.
Old March 1, 2009, 08:22 PM   #11
P97

Quote:
IWB with a Milt Sparks VMII - all you need to conceal it is a t-shirt over the top. It works best with really slim pistols (Hi-Powers, 1911s) but it works with a wide variety.
Same setup and carry a full size Ruger P90.
Old March 1, 2009, 08:45 PM   #12
joegator

I live in Florida an usually wear jeans with a t-shirt.My main method of carry is a 642 in a pocket holster. For most of my jeans and shorts there is no problem. On those occasions where the 642 is just a little too big I pocket carry my LCP.

If I felt the need to carry IWB I'd go with a G26. I just find pocket carry with a 642 or LCP to be super comfortable and concealable for Florida attire.
Old March 7, 2009, 12:40 PM   #13
mrwillpotter

Can anyone vouch for the "beltster" style concealed holsters? I've recently got my concealed carry permit and have carried from late fall through this winter. It's getting too warm to wear my jacket which is rigged up with my holster and magazine case and I need a new concealed option.

Beltster - http://www.banderagunleather.com/

Last edited by mrwillpotter; March 7, 2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: forgot URL
Old March 7, 2009, 05:14 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

With just a t-shirt on, I'll carry my S&W 637 in an OWB Galco Fletch holster using a belt by Beltman. That combo hides very easy.
Old March 8, 2009, 08:15 PM   #15
cz223

Even though I live in Maine

it gets very hot and humid for at least a couple weeks out of the year. Even during the hottest times I usually wear a loose fitting short sleeve shirt open in the front with a T-shirt underneath. I have dresed this way in Florida, Texas and New Mexico too so, I do know what hot is. I prefer IWB carry with my Glock 23. I also carry an LCP in my left, offhand side, pocket. While I have never been a big fan of wearing shorts, just don't have the legs for it, I will be wearing Cargo shorts with the afformentioned T-shirt and loose cover shirt. By the way I learned a long time ago, in the army, that a loose fitting shirt over a t-shirt is actually better than just the shirt or the t-shirt. The t-shirt helps absorb sweat and the outer shirt provides a kind insulative barrier from the direct sunlight. Also, since I have gained a little weight I have recently joined a Gym and started eating better.
Old March 9, 2009, 10:35 PM   #16
sdj

G32/G19 in a CompTac 2 o'clock (IWB); 1911Sc (4.5" Commander) in the same: CompTac 2 o'clock. When going super light: 442 in a size zero Uncle Mikes. Currently looking for more robust options than the Uncle Mikes. Sure are comfortable, though.

Good luck.
Old March 9, 2009, 10:40 PM   #17
mrclean77

I have just about decided that I'm a hundred lbs away from IWB

If I'm gonna carry, for now, I think I'm gonna have to find something I stick in my pocket (although I think many pistols would do just great w/o printing, I don't think my G21SF is one of them)